I just planted some L.Williamsii seeds!

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by Shivaya, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

If any of you read any of my other posts, I have never done psychedelics, I am too full of doubt and don't necessarly feel ready, but just for the hell of it, I decided to grow some peyote (it's legal here). Got 10 seeds for 7$ online, amd today, I sewed them.

It takes a long time to grow, I wouldnt have enough to trip, I know all of that, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. Maybe when they are ready I will be as well...

2. Mr.Toad

Mr.Toad Member

Maybe you should plant some san pedro or peruvian torch instead. You only have to wait a couple of years as they grow a lot faster than peyote.

But peyote is a beautiful plant. I myself have about 10 peyote cacti.

3. Shivaya

The only thing is that I don't think san pedro and peruvian torch is legal here in canada, and I dont really have friends who are in the cactus game, so it might be more of a challenge!

4. Mr.Toad

Mr.Toad Member

Just be prepared to wait a looooooooooooong time before you can consume any cacti (6-10 years).

Alternative is to buy a full grown cacti or dried/powdered cacti from the net.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Lulz at the 'cactus game'

6. Shivaya

haha

Or apparently, other alternative is to graft a peyote button onto another, faster growing species of cactus.

As for time, no worries, if I REALLY want to trip i'll just find something else.

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I did some research for you and San Pedro legal status in Canada Op, this is from Erowid:
    It appears that possession and sales of San Pedro and related cacti are not prosecuted in Canada.

Peruvian Torch can contain a higher content of mescaline than San Pedro supposedly but also can be more hit and miss, San Pedro seems to be more stable with it's alkaloid content but still can vary dramatically, you should get a San Pedro trip in while you're waiting for that Peyote to mature.

8. Shivaya

I really appreciate that you looked in to it for me guerilla - thank you very much!

The drug act says that mescaline is illegal in canada, but that peyote is exempt. They don't mention San pedro or peruvian torch, but then again, I dont know if they consider the cactus as mescalin - probably not. I think you may be allowed to have mescaline if it comes from peyote but not from other cacti. Not sure!

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's probably similar to the U.S. just as long as you got an inconspicuous cacti you should be alright, but if you have a glob of tea or a bunch of cacti shards everywhere things might be suspicious. outside of a few tribes that use it for religious practice, we can't even possess Peyote legally here in the U.S.

10. Shivaya

cool - thanks

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

If peyote is legal, I'm pretty sure an ornamental as well established as san pedro is legal.

Special plants in their own ways. And special plants with or without the alkaloids, cacti are fucking cool, I have a few random non psychoactive ones.

Of course I think you should keep growing the peyote. but if you want to grow something for psychoactive purposes I think you should probably go with san pedro (Trichocerious pachanoi... only I think i spelled that wrong). Not that you won't be able to harvest peyote, but with a collection that size, you'd pretty much have to go all in, with no experimenting or testing the waters, because of how little you'd have.

Couldn't hurt to have a well established garden with a dozen doses of san pedro and one or two of peyote by the time you do want to trip. And that's what you'd have when the peyote are ready, if you started a few san pedro now.

12. Shivaya

Thats actually not a bad idea. Theres a store in toronto taht actually sells seeds. 25 for 10 bucks. Toronto is 5 hours away, but I'll look for the store next time I'm down there.

13. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

Good luck growing your yoties man. I've been growing some from seed for some months now, and they're still pretty small. Growth should pick up now that spring has rolled around, though. :2thumbsup:

14. Shivaya

Thanks man!

Everything/everyone says they are super slow growing. I'm going to need to learn to be more patient about this. I planted them on wednesday and I'm looking at them several times a day hoping to see something and getting all worried when I dont. haha.

I'm pretty sure I did it right though. Got some cactus soil, put it in a pot, soaked it with boiling water to kill all potential parasites, let it drain/cool, gently planted the seeds just below the surface, covered it with saran wrap, and put it in a windowsill. Everything seems to be in order - now it's just a matter of letting nature do it's thing!

15. CannbisSouL

Yes it is!

Two words of advice: Make sure your seedlings stay humid enough and make sure you don't remove the plastic wrap too fast. The two sort of go hand in hand.

16. Shivaya

I'm pretty sure the humidity is fine, the saran wrap is pretty much full of water droplets from the condensation.

17. CannbisSouL

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it yet, but on my first attempt at growing cacti I tried to remove the saran wrap maybe 3 weeks after the cacti sprouted. They dried out very fast, and among a situation involving the roots being disturbed too much (shitty plastic pots) they died.

Taking the plastic off is a slow transition. The young cacti are very sensitive to getting dry, intense sunlight etc.

18. Shivaya

Yeah the advice I got was to gradually start poking needle holes every day starting about 6 weeks after they sprout to acclimatize them.

That's the plan!

19. Mollycule

Mollycule Member

graft them on pereskiopsis if you want to speed things up in the future.

20. Shivaya

I'm actually planning to graft one or 2 on a peruvian torch in about a year... would a pereskiopsis be better?