I heard my first Grateful Dead song three days ago. It blew my mind.

Discussion in 'Music' started by WoodstockChild, Jun 18, 2006.

1. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

you're right the nirvana from the 90's did suck all around.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

guitar or piano (the easiest to compose on, imo)?
    you should get some samples up and share.

3. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

For a lot of people that don't like GD, they have not listened to them correctly. A lot of their music was meant to be seen rather then heard.

4. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

man i just think it's so weird that some people feel this way about the band. i've tried getting into the band but i can only listen to them every so often. the grateful dead, and jerry, just don't cut it for me right now. i just don't know why. it's like i'm deaf and can't hear what all these devoted followers hear that's so great. there's probably a lot of bands from the 90s on that i'd rather listen to than the Dead at this point in my life (BTW, for everyone who says that all music today sucks, wake up NOW). what the grateful dead is to you is probably what zeppelin is to me, though.

but as you can see, i like China Cat;)

5. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

In order to really understand what the Grateful Dead was doing musically, you have to understand folk, blues, bluegrass, rock'n'roll, jazz, etc. People seem to always compare rock bands to the Grateful Dead. The Grateful Dead wasn't really a rock band. As a member of the band said, rock'n'roll was a byproduct of what they did. It would be like comparing Robert Johnson and Ornette Coleman. The Grateful Dead was a fusion of many differnt and diverse types of music.

6. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

yeah and musically i'm very eclectic. i'm in to all the styles of music you listed but i just can't get into the dead right now anyway

7. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

Casey Jones is pretty rad too.