I have two hummingbirds!!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Heat, May 27, 2013.

1. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

An update on my hummingbirds and garden. :) I am sure I have at least 4 critters as well as butterflies and bumblebees. I will post the before shots as soon as my son is back home from his holiday with his dad as they are on his camera.

I am loving my garden and sit on my swing and enjoy it.

My little yard
    [​IMG]

My tomato and herbs

[​IMG]

Morning Glory (hiding behind the swing)

[​IMG]

2. Heat

These two are for Rainy as she had a thread about taking time to stop and smell the roses, here are two of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closer look at my garden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are some more pics in my album Garden.

3. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

We've found their nests in our bougainvilla. They're little weaved deep bowls with narrow openings. They also like the jasmine we have. I would love to put feeders out but my stalking killing cats would ruin it all, and that's just plain mean to attract them to a death house.

4. Heat

Even at my other home I have never found a nest. There I have about 80 trees on 2 cleared acres and bush on the other 12 so finding one would be a miracle. I would love to though. I know that I have repeat visitors there as one year I was a little later putting them up until I saw a pair of them hovering where I always had one feeder. I put it up within an hour or so as I felt terrible that they were looking for a drink and there was none.

So far here I have not seen any babies this year but I also could have just not been out when they were feeding.

5. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Sadly the only reason we found nests was because I was hacking away at the plant. I really hope they were done with them. We kept them and displayed them outside the kitchen window.

6. Heat

I just looked up that type of flower as it is not something we can grow here............holy they are beautiful!! I wish I could grow that. :)

7. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

the bougainvilla? Yeah, it can be pretty but they are aggressive, thorny, and shed a lot. I have a fusia one and a red one. Most people hardly dare have them. We have morning glory here too. Love the big purple/blue blooms. It's aggressive too...and eventually took it out.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Don't know how many I have here... there must be at least 2-3 families, several babies. They always fight over the feeder. Not bad for the first summer here. In California I went through 2 gallons of nectar a day during the peak season, place was busy.

9. Heat

Well the blooms must help make it worthwhile to have around. Seems as if often the most lovely to look at are the most work to take care of.

The morning glory I tend to rip out each fall and it usually comes back but a little more controlled that way. They blooms are lovely on them and they are so easy to grow and use for cover, like on my ugly fence. :)

10. Heat

Wow! I have never used that much nectar so you must have had an awful lot of them at that time. I go through about 10 cups twice a week. They do not eat it all but I change it at least twice a week so that it is fresh for them.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The old cabin was on the migratory path of these guys. Rufous Hummingbird http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufous_Hummingbird Most of the year there were several other species in the area as well.

Not my place but same area I used to live and similar kind of feeder action. I had three feeders going most of the year. They would stack up in a holding pattern around you while you filled the feeder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CHtQr6_qv8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CHtQr6_qv8

12. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I love how they just seem to hover in mid air. Their wings are moving so fast you don't see them.

13. Heat

Thanks for the links. I was amazed at them feeding. I have had a couple of them wrestle and chase each other off at the feeders but I have never had more than 2 or 3 at any feeder at one time.

Was really neat to watch! :)

14. Heat

Usually I hear them and it is really a neat sound. Sometimes at the feeders I will hear them before I actually see them. I also love when they fly backwards......amazing. :)

15. Heat

These are the before pictures. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DiscoPhish

DiscoPhish Member

I love hummingbirds! I have night jasmine and honey suckle next to my outdoor kitchen and they attract hummingbird moths. The first time i saw a hummingbird moth i was confused as to why a hummingbird would be out at night then i looked closer and WHOA it's a moth! I've had several hummingbirds wander into my kitchen over time, what amazing creatures. Nature has been making me very happy lately, thanks for sharing!

17. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

18. Heat

Voyage, simply beautiful and it made my day to see this. :)

Thank you! :)