I have a bit of a frizz problem?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by fallingsky, Feb 1, 2009.

1. fallingsky

fallingsky Member

I'm definitely new at this dreadlocks business, and I'm currently on week 3 of having dreads. I wash them every four days or so (in a nylon with bronners, really, really, gently) and I sleep with them in a wool tam. Now, I understand that they're gonna be a little frizzy. but I feel like this is a bit excessive... every single dread is frizzy! The top of my head is VERY frizzy! I have individual long loose hairs popping out everywhere! My roots are pretty tight, but my hair just frizzes up more every day... I've tried crocheting, or what I think is crocheting, and that doesn't really mellow out the frizz either.
    :confused:
    any suggestions?

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

crochetting addsa to the frizz faxctor requiring more crochetting your breaking hairs which find theyre way ouyt and need to be pulled in by breaking more hairs
    yoyur gohave frizz but you noitice it wat waty more then anyine else
    lets see whgat u got to start
    use a lil aloe gell if its really bad but in general lewave it alone and it will sort iotself out it will never be hone tjough so get used to it and stop fussing obver it

lets see a faitrly close pic

and welcome

edit to add :
    \wool although it encourages knots aklso encourages frizz.. static charges in the hairs make then stand out more then usual

you dont always need a wookl hat
    and if friz is extremje take it off spritse with 100% aloe gell in waterr

in fact i think dont nylon and wool hsve oposite charges so switching from 11 to the other really charges up the hair
    at 3 weeks tho u really can start to baby em lil lerss and let em start doin theyre thing

3. fallingsky

fallingsky Member

oh thank you for those tips! maybe it's all in my head that I have a lot of frizz...
    anywho, here's a picture:

EDIT: that picture was huge. here's a smaller version.
    [​IMG]

4. shadygrov

shadygrov Member

Your dreads look perfectly normal. All the loose will eventually get sucked into the lock but takes time. Your only three weeks in the process. In three months you will less frizzy hair, but you will ALWAYS have frizz with dreads. It's just part of it. So if you intend keeping your dreads, you should just get use to it now and don't worry about it. Overtime your hair will unravel and tangle back up the way it wants. Anything you do to prevent this really only hinders the natural process. My advice it to leave and love it because you have a whole lot more to come.

5. soaringeagle

it does look a lil extra frizzy, but like i said thats probly a result of all those factors, crochetting especialy.. everyone i know who crochetted tends to have to fix em up practicvcly weekly
    if you wear the tam tonight, tomorow wash normaly without the nylon but be careful to only scrub the scalp
    then wipe onsome alowe whikle stuill damp and let it dry dont use too much tho
    the aloew will tame frizz and also help repair dammages hair

im not a big advocate of palm rollung, buyt you can give each 1 a roll through palms covered in aloe not excessivley be gentle just roll em once or twice to get a lil coart on em,

u shouldnt hafta do this often but seeing how dammaged the ends are from crochetting id do it at least once..oh and the bigger picture would show more detail, but zooming in the hair ends look totaly mangled

can u send me the big opic? it looks like that 1 loose hair all by itself is really crinkly like u used a ..umjk what are those irons that give u that ziggy zxAggy hair called? crimping iron on it
    and the loose frizz looks like the whole length of the shaft theres tiny white dots

what besides crochetting did u do? lock peppa? wax?

ijstead of washing maybe try ther deep cleanse.l.its a no scrub method so u wonmt risk detangling but if thats dreadheadhq or knottyboy crap u got in there u might wanna get it all out

6. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

frizz = welcome to my world! My dreads are 41/2 months I think and are super frizzy! I look like Ive been electracuted most the time. Very mad scientist like. Anywho...I think its normal, especially if you had very thin and fine hair to begin with. I use aloe vera to try and help with it sometimes...it works pretty well and doesnt leave any gunky residue or anything. Anywho, dont fret, everybodys journey is different. Some peolpe have frizzier dreads than others.

7. fallingsky

fallingsky Member

oh, there's no wax in there! I did some reading and I'm totally convinced that wax is the worst thing possible for my hair :) none of that wax or peppa or stuff for me. I just combed it really tight to begin with and let it be (besides washing)... but I do have rubber bands on all the tips. should I take those out? I just kind of put them on for the hell of it... so it's not necessarily mangled, but it's just kind of sloppily bent back on itself and rubber banded.

so tomorrow I shall go to the store and buy some aloe vera!
    and thanks, mandy, for the reassurance about the friz :)

and here's the picture a bit bigger.
    [​IMG]

8. soaringeagle

ahh that helps the resizing musta puiixilated it alot it looked weird now the hair shafts look smooth..
    i was woerried ,.lol
    definately a prob with the pic though
    ok
    get the bands out, andy damage i thought i saw was from too tight of backcombing but you'll be fine
    aloe u want 100% pure ..only ingrediant alioew and its gotta be refridgerated...none if that crap dfor sunburns..or buy a plant to hswrvestt

molstly getused to it the friz will gert less as they tighten but will never be gone ..and it shouldnt be it makes them feel softer especialy afdter a wash they feel wonderful

9. fallingsky

fallingsky Member

okay! thank you everyone :) I'm so glad everybody's so supportive here!
    I'll be around...

10. soaringeagle

damn..i didnt sleep all weekend and my spellings really suffered

11. soaringeagle

yea its a great community :) and hope ya do stick around