I (don't) want to believe.

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by BirdFlu, Jul 17, 2019.

1. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

I'm a super functioning member of society- now I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia???

It kind of hurts my self esteem tbh, but that's the internalized stigma popping up.

Anyone else not want to believe that they are, in fact, mentally ill?

2. What happened? Did you have a psychotic break?

Schizophrenia is really stigmatized. Especially paranoid schizophrenia, even though it's not even the worst kind.

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. But I think it was just a cursory evaluation. Because really I am actually psychic. But the drugs they put me on...they stop the voices, but they also quell my psychic powers. Which are really important. If I could prove telepathy exists, that would be a big deal. But no one believes me.

I just don't want to always be on drugs. My boss/friend is keeping a close eye on me. I broke a bunch of lights in his shop, thinking an atom bomb had dropped. I thought breaking the lights would stop the explosion. So, I get pretty crazy, but I don't think it's purely just schizophrenia. I have the ability to influence people's minds from a position that disregards time and space. It's incredible. But I also go completely crazy when I'm not on my drugs. As soon as I get the chance I plan on stopping them, though.

3. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I think the medical industry does a disservice by classifying a person as mentally ill for something they can't really help. As if there is something wrong with them. Which obviously will make them feel worse for something they can't really help. Not saying a person shouldn't be treated if they are a threat to themselves, or others, or has a hard time functioning in this society.

I was classified with Attention Deficit Disorder and Dyslexia. Yet looking back, i've yet to see any disorder in my life. Classified as more a mental disorder than an illness.

4. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

my older brother went through a pretty regular cycle of hospitalisation, being "fine" on his medications, then stop taking them, go crazy, repeat.
    i understood his feelings about it, but it was frustrating to watch from the outside.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's interesting because my experience on this site seems to lend a lot of credence to what you say. However in school, I recall that studies suggested that people prefer nominal diagnosis. It gives them a better understanding of the condition/disorder, potential treatments and also makes them aware that it's an established condition and they aren't alone with it.

This was before the SJW thing really escalated in the past few years though, so I wonder if that's had any effect on persuading views.

6. I don't want my whole life to be about my schizophrenic episodes, either. I want everyone to ignore that as some fun part of me that makes me interesting. Then I want to sneak into their bedrooms at night and creep around, not perverted, but sinister, like one of those shadow people when you're suffering from sleep paralysis. Will I kill them or not, or am I some creature that just waits for them, Waiting even beyond the trespass of Heaven in the fog of time, lurking, watching, waiting until the end?

The end of you. Will you fight me? Will we even use big magical swords and ride horses into battle? Will it be pleasant for you?

7. Or will you be pleasant for me?

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just remember, nothing is ever a lie, so long as YOU believe it. :)

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I find if I press the mute button on the TV remote, it stops the voices

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

^ yes, my bro always had tv on mute.

11. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Interesting to keep the tv on mute and guess what's going on, what is being said, and the emotional state by just observing body language.

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Don’t want to pile on but it’s my hope the diagnosis of schizophrenia also includes Grandiose delusions or delusions of grandeur
    making it easier for you to adjust to your new life as a low functioning member of society.

13. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

I have schizoaffective. I'm constantly between accepting it when I'm not actively psychotic and not when I am. It's hard. But you can still be the same person... somehow I would like to think.

14. Schizofriendlya.