I don't understand how people believe.

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Thekarthika, Jan 17, 2009.

1. J.Q.

J.Q. Member

LMFAO we got 8 years of Bush because they chose Bush for 8 years.

If I voted for Gore and know more people voted like me than people who voted for Bush and we still got Bush, why in the fuck would I think it's gonna be different the next time?

2. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

it is all about personal choice and ideas. you can never be sure, there is not a God can you ? It is ignorant to be so sure about this matter. I am not much of a believer too, actually i am not at all...but still there is a little part of me that does not know! and that leaves a place for very much thinking.

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You know, we did have an election last year. Do you think "they" chose Obama? I don't think so. We did. We're not close to a democracy. The deck is heavily stacked against that becasue of the electoral college system, which got us G.W. instead of Gore. But in that election (2000) in particular, a few more votes (or fewer for Nader) in the right states could have led to a completely different outcome. Living in Oklahoma, I might as well stay home and do something fun on election day, since a conservative Republican will always get all of our electoral votes. Which means that to make change happen we have to work a lot harder, not give up! I have to work in the national arena to exert any influence at all, by getting invoved in campaigns and raising money.

4. J.Q.

J.Q. Member

LMFAO @ you thinkin you chose Obama.

Yea ok.

This whole election was a fuckin joke. They paid more attention to how fine McCain's running mate was than the fact he was running for president. And we didn't get Bush because of a flawed system, we got Bush because his brother was the governor of the only state that needed a recount.

I been gave up on this country tho. Soon as I get my paper stacked up, I'm out. Any convicted felon want my right to vote, he/she is more than welcome to it.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

If more people had turned out in the state that counted, Florida wouldn't have been so important. If you've found a better alternative, go for it. What is that, by the way? (I've looked into Canada; I can't afford it).

6. J.Q.

J.Q. Member

I plan on Europe.

And Florida wasn't important, it just appeared to be so they could make it seem legit.

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Sorry, man, but I disagree. Florida was very important. If more people voted in critical districts there and in other states, it would have changed the outcome. Check the numbers. Europe is nice but has its problems, and the United States will still be a superpower, over which you would (if you leave) have even less influence.

8. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

and if we had only voted obama in, we would be out of iraq

oh wait....

9. mastercylinder

mastercylinder Banned

try going to catholic school for 11years nuns with rulers the whole 9yardsif that doesnt turn u off to god nothing will----goimg to hell for missing mass on sunday all these rules that send u to hell if u break them--in about 4th grade we releazed it was bulshit how can we go to hell--eternal damnation for minor infractions? we all rebeled boys and girls---luckily i disciovered acid-mushrooms and mescaline and i believe in a higher power again not necessarily GOD but there is something good out there--powerful and divine

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

We seem to be gettin' there. Do you think we'd have gottn out faster with McCain? (Anyhow, if we want to continue this line of discussion, we should probably move to another forum, since it's a little off track.)

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

We seem to be gettin' there. Do you think we'd have gotten out faster with McCain?

12. mastercylinder

mastercylinder Banned

totally off track--this was supposed to be about religion--and only if you believe obama is the antichrist does this thread make any sense

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I went to a Catholic school for awhile, starting at age 5--not nearly as long as you, but long enough to make me familiar with those rulers. They did a professional job. Whenever I even think of getting out of line, my Inner Nun comes out and hits me upside the head with that ruler--THWACK!

14. inky-moonshine

inky-moonshine Member

Skepticism is a luxury.
    Indoctrination is effective.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Up to a point. I ain't no Catholic anymore, and it's even in crisis in Ireland!

16. J.Q.

J.Q. Member

If you don't see politics, ESPECIALLY American politics are controlled behind the scenes, we shouldn't even be having this discussion.

They tell us to vote for the person we want in office yet when more of us vote for that person than the other, we somehow end up with the other. I can assure you shit is no coincidence that of the 50 states it just so happened to be the state Bush's brother was governor of that needed a recount. You can't blame other states for that. What does what was going on in other states have to do with this? I voted in the state I was in at the time, and still got screwed over. Why waste my time?

I said whether I voted or not, Obama was gonna be in office. Looks like I was right.

And I know Europe has problems but I like their women better. So much of a variety over there and diverse cultures all within a relatively short distance from each other. I'll prolly come back to visit America from time to time but I can honestly say I did not miss America at all when I was in the UK. And the UK aint even the best part of Europe. I could give a fuck about the politics. I now know how they work and I'm not even mad. Keep thinking you can make a difference though, politicians need supporters like you to keep their income steady.

17. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

i don't think we will be getting anywhere independent of corporate interest with what might appear to be democracy

and even then, our leaders are elected by a credulous majority which i believe to be somewhat associated with traditional belief systems, to stay on topic

18. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

I know there is no creator because matter cannot be created or destroyed. It is a logical impossibility to assume that it can, mathematical. Therefore, when asking who created everything, it would be wiser to first prove if all that exists here, needs to have been put here by something conscious. Since the following phsyical equation about everything that is here (MATTER) shows without doubt that you cannot make something out of nothing, I conclude that there was no need for a creator and thus no need to ask if a creator had put it here.

To this one of my friends said - "well, who put the matter together." I said "what do you mean" he said "All the matter is here, I agree with that but someone had to put it together, such as the face with the eye, instead of the eye on the feet." I said, "the process through which matter combines and is combined, such as the matter that creates the human body as it exists, is MATTER AS WELL, itself and exquisite. Therefore, similairly to the first question there is no need to ask who put it together, rather it would be better to ask how we can use the process that already exists to better life.

So the next time you ask how everything got here and then say who put it here, follow it with, what if it was already here and how can we tap into what is already here to make lives better for myself and my loved ones.

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I think your physics may be a few decades out of date. Conservation of matter is now considered an approximate law related to classical Newtonian physics, without taking quantum mechanics and special relativity into account. When particles are annihilated to make photons, which are generally not considered matter, conservation of matter doesn't occur even in closed systems.

20. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

So then can matter be created?

I am not sure what closed system means, special relativity, mean.

I will research this further.