I don't understand how people believe.

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Thekarthika, Jan 17, 2009.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

God died 15 billion years ago and the universe is his decaying corpse.

It's fun to make up stuff and fantasize!

2. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

why can religion be both good and bad....

what is the cause behind the good of religion

what is the cause behind the bad

3. jnorton47

jnorton47 Cosmic Traveler

I am not sure just what you mean by "cause". However, I see religion as a good thing when it teaches us to be respectful of each other. When it help to give someone a feeling of purpose. Self worth. Of belonging.

I see religion as a bad thing when it is use to hurt and kill people in the name of god. Both Christian and Jews have done this. Justifying cure acts in the name of there religion and god. Today in is Islam that feel justified in killing people in the name of there religion and god.

I say take the good, and shit can the bad. You don't have to believe, just learn from it.
    <(^o^)>

4. Hoatzin

Hoatzin Senior Member

Maybe, but I'd say there are a lot more non-killing-people instances of religion than killing-people ones. I tend to fall on the side of "people who kill will find a reason to do it".

5. Hoatzin

Hoatzin Senior Member

You'd know, eh?

6. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

hmm....justifying cure acts in the name of religion and god?!?!?!?!

how is such a thing even possible?!?!?!?

7. itsallgood

itsallgood Senior Member

i believe in my mind existing because of earth:)...you have to believe in something

8. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

That is so vague.

9. jnorton47

We all must believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

10. jnorton47

I think, there for I am. I think.
    ---Moody Blues
    <(^_^)>

11. Hoatzin

Hoatzin Senior Member

If there's one thing atheism cannot compete with religion for, it's certainty, false or otherwise. While some atheists might erroneously insist that they know there is no god and so forth, most of what atheists believe is by definition unprovable. The fact that it is highly likely does not change this fact.

You'll never find much greater certainty than "I think therefore I am", to be honest.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you don't have to believe in what anyone else thinks they know, to be hugged by strangeness, and hug it back.

believe or don't believe, the strangeness that resembles none too closely anything anyone thinks they know, loves each of us just the same.

now of course the problem isn't with that. but of course with what people, mostly people who call themselves one formalized belief or another, try to tell us there's something wrong with not pretending to know the same things they do.

i hope no one mistakes me for doing that, because thats really not what i wish to do.

13. Hoatzin

Hoatzin Senior Member

In my albeit limited experience, atheists are far more guilty of that, and far more likely to deny that they're ever guilty of that, than common religious folk.

14. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

when it comes to religion, there iss no right and wriong, there is only the lies you choose to delude yourself with

think about it.. lets say for instance there is a god..and only one..that gods the focuys of every magor religion yet every 1 describes god differently, and each magor relions broken up into thousands of individual beliefgs, each of these is followed by millions of individuaLS, EACH INDIV IDUAL APPLYING THEYERE OWN PERSONAL BELUEFS..IGNORING THE INCONVINIENT, AND WEILDING CERTAIN ASPECTS OR PASSAGES AS A SWORD OF PROTECTION OR DAMNATION
    I DOUBT IF U DOVE DEEPLYT ENOUGH INTO EVERY PERSON ON EARTHS BELIEFS YOU WOULDNT FOND 2 WITH THE EXACT SAME UNDSERSTANDING OF WHAT GOD IS OR ISNT
    SO SINCE ODVIOSLY EVERY 1 OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DISTORTED VERSIONS OF "TRUTH" CANT ALL BE EXACTLY 100% TRUE LIKE THEY CLAIM, WOULDNT IT BE MORE LIKELY THAT THEY ARE ALL SIMPLTY LIES WE DELUDE OURSELVES WITH? HAPPY LIL HALUCINATIONS THAT MAKE US FEEL OK
    LIFE SUX BUT THATS OK CAUSE A FANTASYLAND IS WAITTING JUST BEYOND DEATH
    ITS ALSO A CONVINIENT EXCUSE TO FUCK UP THE WORLD (IF THERE IS A TRUEE GOD, WOULDNT IT BE THE GIVERS OF LIFE? THGE EARTH THE SUN THE AIR WE BREATH AND WATER WE DRINK..THE UNIVERSE ITSELF THAT CREATTED ALL) YET WE USE THESE RELIGIONS AS EXCUSES TO GET AWAY WITH THE DESTRUCTION ODF THE EARTH,M EXCUSES FOR WAGING WARS..WE LOOK AT LIFE AS TEMPORARY SEPERATION FROM A MYSTICAL BEING INSTEAD OF LOOKING AT LIFE AS THE ONLY MYSTICAL EXISTANCE WE CAN HAVE.. HEAVEN AND HELL ARE ONLY ABSTRACT REPRESSENTATIONS OF WHAT WE CREATE..LIFE IS HELL OR HEAVEN DEPENDING HOW WE LIVE IT YET THE RELIGIONS OF THE WORLD CHOOSE TO CREATE HELL ON EARGH WHILE TEAXCHING THAT THE REWARDS WILL COME AFTER ITS TOO LATE.
    DELUSIONAL LIES ALL MADE TO MAKE US FEEL BETTER..ITS LIKE A DRUG.AN ASSICTUON THATS DRAGGING THE WHOLE WORLD DOWN

AND A FEW 12 YEAR OLDS WAKE UP AND SEE THE LIGHT AND GIVE HOPE FOR TRUER ENLIGHTENMENT
    QUESTIONING SHOULD BE THE 1ST THING RELIGIONS TEACH US, TO QUESTION THEM, THEUYRE RIGHTNESS WOULD COME WITH ANSWERS WOULDNT IT? BUT INSTEAD THEY DEMAND BLINDNESS.. FAITH WITHOUT QUESTIONING
    THEY OFFER NO ANSWERS ONLY THE MEMORIZATION OF PASSAGES AND CERIMONIES THAT WIPE AWAY THE ABILITY TO ASK..DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENCE?

ITS A MENTAL ILLNESS IN A WAY, MUCH LIKE MANY OTHERS... A BEAUTIFUL GIRL IS TOLD OVER AND OVER SHES FAT AND UGLY IT DOESNT TAKE LONG BEFORE ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO CONVINVCE HER SHES NOT
    RELIGION WORKS THE SAME WAY, FILLING YOUR HEAD WITH LIES TILL YOU SIMPLEY CANNOT SEE THE TRUTH NO MATTER WHAT, YOUR INCAPABLE OFD EVEN QUESTIONING
    I BET TYOU ANYTHING IF YOU INTENTIONALY ASK YOURSELF IS THERE A GOD A FLOOD OF PRERECODRDEED PASSAGES PUSH AWAY ANY THOUGHT LIKE A MINDWIPE ..THEY CALL IT REMOVING ANY DOUBT, BUT DOES THART MEAN DOYUBT DOESNT EXIST? DOUBT MAKES SENCE WHEN ITS JUST PUSHED AWAY WITH NONSENCE
    NOURISH THE DOUBT ABND YOU WILL FIND TRUTH
    IT EXISTS EVERYWHEDRE
    lies can only burry truth as long as u alow it

15. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Good stuff, could have done without the caps but it's like some of that came out of my own mind. This is exactly what I was thinking in another thread when I asked the question: who is MORE staggeringly wrong, your random imaginary snowflake God definitions or NO God definition?

16. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i dont watch what im typing and for some reason keep hitting capslock alot today

17. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Eagle, you're absolutely correct. That was great inspirational shit man, you should write a book.

You really connected my beliefs there.

Btw, has anyone here seen the movie zeitgeist??

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i believe in strangeness. i don't believe i "HAVE" to.

that strangeness may include one or more gods or god like beings, without having to begin and end with them.

19. Hoatzin

Hoatzin Senior Member

I think that covers most things that aren't religion as well.

20. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

I believe in God, but I don't believe in Religion. I believe that there is a place where we go after death. And I believe that all the Rabbis, priests, Monks, Imams and leaders of indigenous tribal religious groups that actually led good lives, as well as all their constituents that led good lives are there in the good place (Called Heaven to the Christians). They are all standing around saying, "Hmmmm, none of us got it right. We all were reading and preaching about our little books, but none of us got it right."

Then down in the bad place (Hell) are all the murderers, rapists and all the bad people. As well as the religious zealots that believed they were serving a god. Meanwhile they were doing harm to other humans. I especially believe that anyone who killed in the name of a god is in a wicked foul place, left for all eternity.

But I believe all this because it kind of furthers my own agenda. Which is that we are all here, and we need to be nice to each other. Be nice to one another, you know, the Golden Rule, and you will go to the good place, whatever you call it in your religion.