I don't like holding babies. Do parents get offended?

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by Fueled by Coffee, Feb 21, 2014.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I'm not comfortable holding babies. I don't know why exactly since I like holding small animals. But it's different with babies. I suppose I worry about not holding it properly or getting spat up on or something. I'm not sure.

When parents or family members ask me to hold a baby, I politely say no. But there is usually lots of peer pressure brought on by other people as well. Do parents get offended when someone declines the offer to hold their child? I get that a baby is a parent's most cherished possession, and I don't want to mess it up.

2. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Knowing most parents...they probably do. But I wouldn't worry about it, it's their hang up. :)

3. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

It doesn't offend me. One of my friends HATES kids, so I've never asked her to hold either of mine.

4. wobs

wobs Senior Member

i agree with fueled,i am frightend of holding young babies

5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I never really just handed my babies off to others so I would not be offended. Usually people ask or walk up with their arms extended if they wish to hold a child. That is a good indicator of who wishes to. :)

If you are not comfortable holding kids, then don't. They are not your children and you are not obligated to want to. :)

6. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I think a lot of men are terrified of holding little babies often until they have their own and take that leap. :)

Women may not be as often as we also tended to babysit and such as teens so may have more of a comfort zone.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

My big sister just had her first. I haven't met my nephew yet since we live in different states, but I most likely will really soon. I'm going to be pressured to hold her baby, I just know it. Since it's my sister's kid, I don't think she'd be very welcoming to me turning it down. I think I'll just push myself to do it, but only while supervised.

8. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I think if you said something like "I'm not comfortable holding the baby, I'm afraid I might break it", it might be accepted

9. Jeff Doe

Jeff Doe Member

Yeah what e7m8 said. Just say you are uncomfortable holding a baby because they are so fragile. Good reason.

Or you can tell them that you have socio-political reasons against babies. Bad reason. :)

10. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I remember the first time I held a baby. I was barely a teen then, I think. It was so warm and it's head felt heavy. I was afraid of being peed on, or thrown up on, but I was being coached on how to hold it, so I got comfortable with it.

It was awesome holding a new life in my arms, I remembered, so when my own son was born I wasn't afraid to hold him.

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

No, it would not offend me.

What offended me with my first was when random people in stores would walk up to me and just start touching my baby w.out asking me. That didn't happen a lot but it did happen. I LIKED it when random people walked up and told me he was adorable and asked how old he was etc but not the people who touched w.out asking... I was very phobic of germs so was very careful who touched him....and always after washing their hands or using hand sanitizer.

So, anyways, esp. w a new, very young, baby, I do not think it's a great thing for lots of people to touch babies as they are so susceptible to germs so no, I wouldn't be offended.

And if it was one of my friends but was just nervous, ...didn't have experience holding babies, etc.--- not that they disliked babies... I would leave it up to them... I wouldn't be offended but if they wanted to sit and hold the baby for a min I'd coach them on how to hold the babies head, etc.--- I know my husband was a bit nervous before we had our son of just how small and fragile they are as he had never held a newborn... but that all went away quickly once starting to take care of our son. :)

12. Jeff Doe

Jeff Doe Member

I am so scared of holding a new born baby as their necks are so weak. When my sweet niece got to be a few months old, I was more then happy to hold her. Giving her back to mommy was the hardest thing to do, but I knew it was for the best. :)

13. FlowerHuman77

FlowerHuman77 Member

I was very wary of holding small babies for years because I pictured myself dropping the poor thing or something. The parents (almost always a mother) tended to take it poorly when I declined. I got over it after a while. I've noticed that baby-holding is mostly an all female event anyway, so I don't have to worry about it very often. I'd say just gently hold the baby for a minute, and tell the mother what she wants to hear and hand it back.
    Peace. :daisy:

14. jameske91

jameske91 Supporter HipForums Supporter

I do not like holding a new born. Now once they are a few months old then I'm good. I will hold them till it's time to change the diapers. LOL

15. JoyfulStreak

JoyfulStreak Guest

I'm wary of new bones, there so fragile. Never held any of my sister's children. I'm much better around toddlers, when they can walk and talk.

16. Laci

Laci Members

Personally, I just dislike children. They tend to be loud, overactive, ADD, ask a lot of questions, that sort of thing. I mean it's a good thing, it's natural, I was the same way. I just can't stand to be around it for very long. Sometime's I've accidentally let it slip when someone asked me to hold their baby or something "Uh, I don't like kids" and they get distraught.

The thing is, I just take no interest in holding a baby. I think babies look creepy, they smell weird, I don't want to drop it. I'm freaked out that it's going to start crying or something. So generally if someone asks me to hold their baby, I just politely tell them "Oh, well thank you but I'm not a big baby person!" and then they leave it at that. :)

17. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Anyone who just walks up to a child and starts touching them is a serious creep

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't touch babies either.

Don't wanna see your baby
    Don't wanna hear your baby
    Don't wanna touch your baby
    Fuck outta here with your baby!

19. drock69

drock69 Members

If the baby is not mine, I’m not holding it!

20. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Eccentric topic. Some parents despise of people who even just glimpse their babies because they think they will give them the 'evil eye' or something, let alone even touch them.