I Don't Give a Goddamn

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Karen_J, Jul 18, 2013.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

A self-selected poll has no scientific value in determining public opinion. Self-selected polls offered by websites exist:

A) To whip up interest in whatever bullshit issue they think will get your attention. This helps increase site visits and advertising revenue

B) To collect data about you that can be sold to advertisers, or anyone else who wants to have a more complete data profile of you

C) To persuade you to have a particular opinion. If you are lead to believe that an opinion is the majority view, you may feel the impulse to conform, or believe that majority support confers legitimacy

It's essentially trolling: they've just figured out how to monetize trolling.

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I also don't give a fuck about any Florida state laws, or anything about 99% of all pop musicians, or what the Republicans have done lately to hurt Harry Reid's feelings. I don't care when the Royal Baby is born, what the price of gas is in California, whether Hilliary is likely to run in 2016, what the most popular baby names are, or who is the latest no-talent celebrity to OD on H.

Most of the news isn't worth the paper it is prin...

Wait a minute... [Ctl] [Alt] [Del]

3. newbie-one

I think I know what happened here:

RS Editor: We need to find a way to increase circulation for our boring, dumb ass magazine! What do we do?

RS Staff: Well, we could try to stir up controversy, controversy that might appeal to our advertising demographic

RS Editor: Great idea! But what in particular should we do?

RS Staff: Let's put a picture of Tsarnaev on our cover, lookin' kinda sexaaaaayyyyyy!

RS Editor: Whipping up interest in our boring-ass magazine by trying to make ourselves look edgy and controversial will certainly get attention and generate sales, but by whipping up that attention, we also might get some negative side effects. What do we do?

RS Staff: We'll also put out magazine covers making reference to completely boring, old news, currently non-controversial figures who also committed violent crimes, using similar language. We can easily make comparisons to these boring, non-controversial figures to cover our asses. That way, we come out smelling like a rose!

RS Editor: Brilliant! Let's do it!

[​IMG]

4. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

oh boy, imma have fun with this when i have more fuck off time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm not saying that everybody should avoid all polls, or all news stories. It's just too much. It's gone too far. Nobody has time to be passionate about 300 different subjects.

I'm just in the mood to vent. It really hit me this week, when people started acting like everybody is supposed to be an expert on Florida state law. Hell, half the people in America probably couldn't find Florida on a map, and it would be under 25% if it wasn't shaped like the national dick!

7. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

:2thumbsup:

8. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

I hate it when the media wants to tell us what is important in our lives instead of letting us determine that for ourselves.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

This is the last Rolling Stone I read.

[​IMG]

It had some Leninist on the cover and its hanging on the wall behind me.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ahhhhh--they also had Hitler and Manson on their covers. So what? People are so touchy over what amounts to jack shit.

11. My names Cory

My names Cory Senior Member

I actually like Rolling Stone magazine lol. I usually try to read new issues as they come out.

However, I certainly don't care who is on the cover..

12. newbie-one

There's no reason why they shouldn't have Tsarnaev on the cover. I think they're probably happy that there's a controversy though. No one would pay any fucking attention otherwise.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I thought it was a music magazine. Seems rather lame from that perspective. I guess they include other stuff too. I never read it so yeah. From my point of view it is not so much about being apathetic or not (in this case), but let go of the feeling we need to have an opinion on everything. We do not.

14. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Personally I'm a fan of Rolling Stone magazine, and from my experience there is nothing out of character with the cover. I mean they're calling the kid a monster right on the front page. Where's the confusion?

They've always done journalism pieces as well. Some of it is pretty damned good. Not all, but some. It was a Rolling Stone article that led to General McChrystal to being 'fired' by the President.

15. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

thats the thing that i haven't understood ever. legal decisions from airliner and train crashes, civil rights cases... rarely do people read the actual laws, the transcripts, all the actual legal facts.

all this talk is 90% opinion and personal bias, (perspective) seeped in willful ignorance and fueled by the absolute worst source for facts... the media.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are many things in this life i do care about. rolling stone is a long way down on the list. professional sports is a long ways even further down. pretty much not even there at all.

17. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Yep, I don't give a god damn either about the cover of Rolling Stones. I don't care about the little baby in England either, or that Lance Armstrong takes steroids, or Tiger Woods mistresses, or fuel efficient cars.

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I care that Lance Armstrong intimidated people that knew he cheated in a really bad way. I also cared that he cheated but now that it appears everyone did it I care a little less somehow. Why in earth wouldn't you care about fuel efficiency?? Unless you don't drive...

19. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has the looks of a teen idol. If it weren't for that, he wouldn't be on the cover. Anyway, now he can buy five copies for his mother (or his mother can steal five copies).

Don't expect his mother to be on the cover. In the 80's she looked like a young Keith Richard but now looks like an old Keith Richard. She won't be setting foot in the U.S. because of the arrest warrant that is out for her for stealing thousands of dollars worth of clothing in the U.S.