i don't get why people complain about migrant children in detainment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StellarCoon, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's a solid argument when children of illegal immigrants are denied basic needs, but its not a solid argument for letting illegal immigrants in the country. In that way there's a difference. They have equal rights in terms of getting food, bed and water when detained in your country and by your fellow countrymen, but not have the exact same rights of an american citizen. Same the other way around.
    So I feel making a general comment about earth children (same with an idealistic statement about no borders or countries at all) can understandably be seen and done away with as a 'libtard' statement when inserted in a discussion about this specific and topical issue.
    This is also what I thought about the 'bleeding heart' comment of onceburned, but couldn't really be bothered at that moment (as it is indeed also a simple mockery of empathy if not accompanied with some more constructive sentences ;)): it is of course primarily ment like the proverb 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'. In other words: empathy and caring about others like illegal border crossers is important and useful, but not every person against keeping them rigidly out is unreasonable and not every action or argument made out of empathy is a good solution.

2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yeah, yeah. It's so hard to explain.
    But it's like.. I can't feel anything for the borders. It isn't just some idealistic thing I choose to believe in.. The idea that the whole world's resources should be used for the whole world, and the idea that "our" people, MY people, includes every person, that's just how it is, to me. I don't see a white child or a British child and feel any more than when I see a brown child. Neither does it matter to me if they're not British. Maybe our NHS is strained.. Maybe we should stop spending billions on weapons that can never really be used without wiping out the species. Maybe we should redistribute the wealth of the world and make other countries Great Again so that they don't even want to come to ours. Maybe people like me and Mel need to be in charge.

StellarCoon and Meliai like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

He wasnt talking about letting in illegal immigrants though.
    He was talking about the treatment of kids of legal asylum seekers who were taken away from their families by the state
    Not that he understands the difference, I'm sure
    But we cant let ignorant people continue to redirect this conversation. It is about legal asylum seekers
    And even in the case of illegal immigrants, they still dont deserve to be treated inhumanely

4. Asmodean

I'm not sure what he was particularly talking about in regards to the exact thread topic :p
    His comments were about bleeding hearts and why people here aren't taking immigrants or refugees in their own house. Pretty nonsensical and meaningless on itself.

But I feel the same about comments like we're all earth children or a smartass comment about how countries and borders are actually bad and should be unwanted. I don't think mine or your society would be better off without

5. Asmodean

I'm for that too (to a certain degree. Details matter :p)
    I also see myself as a world citizen. Doesn't mean i think no borders are a good idea.
    I for one can relate. But a lot of people who are in favor of borders and keeping illegal immigrants out too. Hope you realize that.
    Many people are for more fair wealth distribution and investing in 'shithole countries' in order to develop things there and keep economical or climate refugees from coming all here. Most will agree with me that getting rid of our borders would not help, in fact its a recipe for disaster

Many politicians started out of idealism :) Good luck! :-D

Driftrue likes this.
  6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Heh, yeah, no way. I'll write books.

I'm not saying we should scrap borders overnight. In order to formulate a better idea, please tell me the positives of borders.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

8. onceburned

onceburned Banned

what are we going to do with all those kids? they have no parents with them. at least none that are here. do we need to build orphan camps? and how long will they be here? till they are adults? and what about schooling, food water and all the things that many kids here who are citizens do not have?

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I might be wrong but I didn't think the world was quite at maximum capacity yet. It is possible to feed, clothe and house everyone.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

They do have families, most of them at least. Trump's policy is to separate families; that's why detention centers are overflowing. Not sure if you're just ignorant to that reality or intentionally speaking untruths to mislead.

But see my post above. What are we going to do? Well, a judge has just ruled they cannot be detained pending their asylum hearings so all asylum seekers will have to be released, both adults and kids who have family in the US. Unaccompanied minors will still have to remain in US custody, although hopefully their conditions will improve when the overcrowding is alleviated.

11. Asmodean

'The world' is irrelevant; they wanna be in the States. But there too is still plenty of space left: Death valley for example ;)

12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

They want to be in America because the world is unequal. Make the world a place where the standard of living is acceptable and fair everywhere, problems solved.

But that would mean "we" had to pay for things for "them", which sets off everyone's primitive survival instincts and prevents them thinking logically.

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

No, We have enough Illegal Immigrants here in California. There are other states in this country for illegals to go to besides California and Texas ya know. 48 of them last I checked.

14. Asmodean

The standard of living is not even fair and equal in the US. There's just less crime and corruption in most places. Like to a bearable extent.

Well, if Trump didn't make the procedure so long and vague (to discourage illegal immigrants lol) they could have clarity much much sooner. Imo these refugees should try to enter legally or try elsewhere. To discourage illegal entering there should be a clear and rapid (harsh perhaps) conclusion, so basically the opposite of Trumps current tactic.

Responding to the basic needs of these kids doesn't (shouldn't) mean they're likely to stay in the country forever. So to answer your question directly; they should be properly taken care of while being detained. Then get clarity on if they (and their parents) get to stay. If that outcome is negative (and i expect plenty of exceptions can be made, like you know, when it is clear they fled for legit reasons) they should be transported to their country of origins. That's the risk of trying to get in illegally, still better than drowning or dying in the desert. Or being locked up indefinitely without basic needs being met.

15. Asmodean

Ok, issue solved tomorrow :rolleyes:

as usual i agree with the basic sentiment but not with your answer being a real solution to this problem that's playing now ;)

16. onceburned

onceburned Banned

this is part of the problem, demoncrats stuffing your brain with lies...…..

17. Asmodean

I will btw. Couldn't formulate it properly right now. The problem with your 'solutions' is they're too generalized and hypothetical. Yes, it sounds nice/the sentiment is cool but they don't take in account how the human world actually has worked for the past centuries. It's actually kind of a miracle (ok @guerillabedlam: a wonder :p) that a lot of societies/countries have working democracies catering to some kind of equality and functioning wellfare states.

18. Asmodean

Are you here to nag on lefties and democrats or to constructively add to the convo?

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

She came back after this and specifically said the fountains attached to the toilets were not in working order, that Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley tested them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  20. This kind of prison plumbing has isolation valves for each room as well as a master. They are used to shut off the water when an inmate attempts to flood the room. The toilet is on a separate isolation valve, but only at the room level. This is how there can be water in the toilet but not in the sink.

The only reason the master would be closed in this case would be an issue with leaks in the system. Which would be expected if the facility was dormant for more than a year or so. It could be they put the place into operation before checking it out. It's sloppy, but that's no surprise with any government operation.

What I seriously doubt is that the internees are being denied water in an effort to punish/torture them. Such speculation would probably drive clicks, money in the bank for media moguls. I'd prefer a real investigation instead of this obvious photo-op.

What I hated about going out to sea was the way the fresh water was cut off for days at a time, showers and water fountains. It meant that unless you kept a canteen or bottles of water in your locker, you only drank at meal times.

onceburned likes this.