i do NOT get paganism. help me

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by sheeprooter, Jan 21, 2005.

1. jim_w

jim_w Member

(quote)
    well we could say:

'why do you practice christianity? as a matter of fact, *how* do you practice it?'

but we don't. it's belief, we don't know why it works like it does

Yes, but christianity (and other 'real' religions) are fairly mainstream, whereas paganism is manifestly not. I claim that this fact is a big part of the reason that most 'pagans' choose that label for themselves; they enjoy the image of being 'different' or whatever.

2. Arachne

Arachne Member

i practice and believe in my religion because it's what i believe. i would not be a part of christianity or anyother religion except for Celtic Paganism because it's not what i believe. it would be like asking a Hindu why he practices Hinduism insted of Buddhism. i love and respect my family, friends, community, Nature, and animals. I'm thankful for all that I have, and I give back whenever I can. I celebrate the changing of the seasons, and i celebrate life.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Go back to your bad Tori Amos records, troll. You only come in here to start controversy.

4. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

I don't mean to sound rude, but OMFG HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! that is hilarious. The world's leading authority on paganism likes to come into these forums and call people names and apparently doesn't actually know anything about pagaism except that some people call themselves pagans becuase they think that it is "cool" or whatever!! Hehehe, this will keep me laughing all day.

5. Obituary~Birthday

Obituary~Birthday Member

you do have a point jim w, but that is not the case with everyone.

6. barefoot_boo

barefoot_boo Member

Recognised by whom? By whose standards are you a world leading authority? Please tell me more about your background, training, particular area of expertise etc...I'm interested, really.

7. barefoot_boo

barefoot_boo Member

No, sorry, please ignore my previous post. I've just read some of your other witterings and have realised that you have a tendancy to talk out of your arse in addition to being delusional.

8. stonems

stonems Member

pegans are just normal people that belive in a high power then "GOD" they belive in life after death and that your spirit can leave your body at night and wonder the street but that is what i heard my brother was once concidered a pegan so i know alot of this shit

9. Zoomie

I've been trying to tell you people this. He's classically schizophrenic and definitely has delusions of grandeur. He's obsessed with Tori Amos (unhealthily so) and he pretends to breastfeed a doll. You can almost time when his meds are due.

The only reason I haven't put him on ignore is because he's fun to watch. I mean, I am glad to wear the title "ass" sometimes but being bipolar, I have compassion for sick people like me.

10. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

Bravo for open-mindedness! To bad you are a psych major, that just makes understanding this reality more difficult for you... The quickest way to put it is that Science (psychology) explains the "How," while Religion explains the "Why."

If you don't approach all this in that "you show me this," or "you prove this to me," but maybe, "I'd like to discover this for myself..." you might have some luck. No one can arrange it for you so you can "see" it... I'd definately recommend studying meditation, to open that Other way of experiencing existence.

I read this book by Phyllis Curott, "Book of Shadows." It was actually about her experience finding Wicca in NYC in the 70's, fresh out of law school. However, she mentions being a philosophy undergrad, and approaching things from a Logic POV... So she had to understand all this through a Jungian bent with a very very basic understanding of quantum physics... Everything is just bundles of energy, and the human mind does have proven powers over energy..

11. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

I practice paganism by minding my own business and use my morals to judge my own actions. I practice paganism by using my spirituality to work on personal issues. I practice paganism by not projecting my Truth on others, because Nature Herself has many Truths in many facets of Life...

I practice paganism rather than the Catholicism I was raised in because I had the unfortunate experience of growing up in one of those "Bad Example" parishes... Compared to MY experience in this ONE parish, paganism makes me feel safe that god isn't going to send me to eternal damnation for going through puberty...

In college, I became very good friends with a church-going Presbyterian girl... If I had had her experience, I might be Presbyterian today, but I have to say I like the Feminine Aspect of Wicca. This girl and I are very close, and we acknowledge that our spirituality is the strongest thing we have in common... Call it by whatever name, we both recognize The Higher Power and live our lives accordingly...

(Did I mention that I lived with an Orthodox Jewish girl in college too? Kept the kitchen kosher and everything! LOLOL We also have that intense spirituality in common, and she is my best friend to this day!)

Don't discount people's past experiences when you feel you must judge their life choices... Some people are so traumatized by their own pasts that they cannot see your point of view... Yes, some women can never have sex with males ever ever again because they are raped... It's all about your own comfort zone...

12. Zoomie

Little Dove, you just put into one paragraph the words I've been seeking to describe my system of beliefs. Thank you. May I use this?

13. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

Why certainly, glad to help!

:D