I died my hair red

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Mrs.Krinkle, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Mrs.Krinkle

Mrs.Krinkle Banned

So I used to have bleach blonde hair and i always loved being blonde, but i wanted to dye my hair red as a surprise to my boyfriend cuz he always said hed love it if i went blonde. but i dont think i like it now. not very much at all. I have naturally dirty blonde hair, anyone know any ways to get it back to blonde? is it going to turn orange if i just bleach it again?

2. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

Red is super hard to remove from hair.. I know from experience.. but I'd suggest googling it. You might be able to bleach it out, but it's terrible to put so many chemicals in your hair in such a short period of time. Maybe wait it out for a while? And, another suggestion.. did you know they make kits specifically for removing stubborn dye from your hair? You can look into that, too. You can probably buy it where you bought the red you put in.

Now, I'll tell you my experience, haha. I thought I removed all of the red from my hair with bleach but soon after I realized that I got most of the red out of my hair but occasionally, under certain lights, my hair STILL has a strawberry tint to it. I think with another, lighter bleach later on I can be blonde. Light blonde. It's incredibly frustrating. But, now, there's hope for you. I'll let you know that my red was due to HENNA which is difficult to remove on it's own.

Hopefully I helped a little. The thing that's been the most useful to me is just googling tips & tricks online. A lot of people have made the same kind of hair mistakes with dye.

So.. off topic, but, did your boyfriend like the red at all or was he as unsatisfied as you are with it?

3. Mrs.Krinkle

Mrs.Krinkle Banned

How many times did you have to bleach it before it came out? Because I think I might do that. And actually my boyfriend really likes it. Most of my friends do too. I dont know. its very different from my old hair. I just dont like it all that much.

4. Mrs.Krinkle

Mrs.Krinkle Banned

How many times did you have to bleach it before it came out? Because I think I might do that. And actually my boyfriend really likes it. Most of my friends do too. I dont know. its very different from my old hair. I just dont like it all that much. Ill put up a pic in a second.

5. Mrs.Krinkle

Mrs.Krinkle Banned

This is before...
    [​IMG]
    This is now :(, and oh yea, i thought itd look good if i dyed my eyebrows too. what do i do about that one?
    [​IMG]
    I hate it. ugh.

6. Mrs.Krinkle

Mrs.Krinkle Banned

[​IMG]
    eyebrows

7. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

Ooh, the eyebrows are a toughie. You might be able to dye them a colour not so red (brownish) with chemical dye or preferably henna. It'll look more natural if you bleach the dye out. You have to be careful with chemical dye around your eyes and definitely avoid bleaching your eyebrows.. you don't want to go blind!

You might want to consult a hair stylist before you bleach it out.. you'll probably have to use a pretty strong bleach which will NOT be good for the hair. A hairstylist might be able to do it better than you if you can afford one. It'll take a lot to nurture it back to health, especially done on your own.

My hair never was that red but I actually think it looks really cool.. I like the colour, too.

8. Soberbeah

Soberbeah Member

i dyed my hair red once. it came out pink and all my teammates on the rugby team called me tampon for the entire season

9. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Ugh I've been down this road and red lingers for a long time. The only solution I can think of is dye your hair really dark. Dark brown or black. But also know that this is a commitment too as you will have to get it stripped and retoned if you ever wanna go lighter again.
    If you have big bucks go to a highly reputable, expensive salon. They can do ANYTHINg...look at celebs who change their hair from red to black to blond every couple months...but its so $$$$.

10. astaff

astaff Member

i'd go a light blonde to go over it. it will lighten the color atleast and then wait a little while dyeit blonde again and again untill the color is light enough where yu can dye it the color of your choice.

11. cheech & chong

cheech & chong Member

dude that sucks. I woulda quit the rugby team.

12. stazzy04

stazzy04 Member

I have naturally blond hair and decided to go red and kept it red for a year, repeatedly dying over the previous color. When I went to the salon and told them I wanted to get rid of it, they used color erase which turned it orange. And then, being ignornant (color erase is meant to be dyed over about 24 hours later) told them to put bleach in it. My hair felt nasty and looked even worse because then it was a brighter lighter shade of orange.

So what I did was went to the store and bought a semi permanent strawberry blond color, which helped a little, but not much.

So a couple days later, I bought the cheapest hair dye I could find (because I knew it wouldn't last) and dyed it a light brown. Sure enough, about 2 weeks later my hair was blonde again. It had a strange tint to it, but it was blonde.

So... I've learned a lot of lessons about this.

Red is an awesome color, but is extremely hard to get out. I probably could've saved a ton of work and time by starting with the color erase and finishing with the cheap hair dye.

13. Gniknus

Gniknus Member

did you have really healthy hair before you dyed it? If you did, then there is a deep conditioning that you can buy that takes the color out a little,but it still might be red after, but it only works if you had healthy hair before.

14. addictedt0chaos

addictedt0chaos Lunar Dreadlocks

I used to be platinum blond back in the day, and when i dyed my hair red and decided i wanted my blond back, I went to the salon. I was there all evening, but they got it all out and my fair was as healthy as it could have looked considering all that had been done to it.

I'd go to the salon if you decide you don't like it. :/ Experimenting at home could be dangerous for your hair

15. Mrdude46

Mrdude46 Member

You look good to me either way,

Women don't see themselves the same way men see you, hair color is not important,
    your soul is. And most women have a very beautiful souls.

Rock on women

Someone loves you

16. zfinity

zfinity Member

I bleached my own hair and then dyed it fire engine red once. It only lasted about 3 days before I went to a cheap salon and got the color stripped and then dyed it brown. They had to cut it because it was so damaged. that was about 2 years ago and I still have red ends. That said... good luck.