I can't sleep....

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by moon_flower, Jun 1, 2006.

1. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Can I take sleeping pills?
    I'm running on about 5 hours of sleep this week....it's Thursday. I really need some sleep....I'm mentally and physically tired....I just can't sleep for the life of me. Is there anything that's safe to take that I don't need a prescription for?

2. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

nope. you can try chamomile tea. But nothing's gonna work, at least nothing worked for my insomnia when I was pregnant. Think of it as practice for when the baby's here. Sleep whenever you can, take lots of short naps all day long. That's what you'll be doing real soon by necessity anyway. get used to it ((((((hugs))))))

3. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

take a calcium tablet before you head to bed. it's a natural muscle relaxer and it helped me to get to sleep quite alot while i was pg. i wouldn't take any otc or script sleeping pills if i were you.

4. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

I can reccomend a couple of really really boring books!

:)

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

It is common to not be able to sleep well during pregnancy. the OTC sleeping pills are probably worse for you than the prescription ones, as the OTC ones are just antihistamines and have loads of side effects.

Talk to your doctor or midwife if it gets really bad. but not getting a full night's sleep, or having broken sleep during pregnancy is normal.

I hope you feel better. Don't take Cammomile if you are allergic to Rag weed or Goldenrod. Stay away from Kava and Valerian too, when you are pregnant.

6. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

:D

Well, I'm allergic to ragweed....so I guess Chammomile is out.
    I guess I'll just have to get used to it. I just thought something might be wrong.
    Thanks for your responses, ladies. :)

7. jgirl

jgirl Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Nothing's wrong, I can't sleep either. There are nights when I get 2 hours of sleep tops. It is really common in pregnancy. Chamomile hasn't been working for me, so I just try to sleep when I can. It is really annoying more than anything, but honestly not as bad as it will be when the baby is born...LOL.

8. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've seen Brighid reccommend 1/2 a glass of wine or Guiness for severe insomnia. I know you're not supposed to drink, but it seems like it might be worth a shot if it continues too long and starts to effect the way you function. Feel better!

EDIT: ahem, sorry, I just remember that you're 19... :)

9. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

what about meditation?

I havn't been pregnant yet, but I sometimes have sleepless nights. I close my eyes, and try so focus on the patterns that appear when I close my eyes. It has a very calming and soothing effect.

10. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

meditation helps calm me to a point where sleep would be possiable, but then the little guy decides to stand on my bladder... hahaha.

in other words... I've heard about this thing called sleep, and I vagely remember doing it regularily about 7 months ago... haha

11. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Haha. I'd love a nice glass of wine....but that's just not a risk I'm willing to take. No matter how small....I just won't do it.
    (I've drank before.)

Yes....when I finally do lie down and am ALMOST asleep (Yes....it almost happened, my boyfriend came over because he thought maybe him cuddling with me and whatnot would make me feel comfortable....and, it worked. He's just so warm and cute. :D ), I had to get up to pee. Darn the bad luck.

12. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

With my first pregnancy I slept fine except for getting up to pee, but my second pregnancy - WHOA! I never slept, between pelvic soreness, low baby, peeing a LOT, and being just generally uncomfortable, I was exhausted. And running around after a 2 year old all day. But............(The silver lining!) when Julian was born, even with him getting up at night to eat, I felt more rested than when I was pregnant! So even though this sucks to not be able to sleep, it will definitly make it easier when your baby is born, because you'll already be used to getting no sleep. And lack of sleep was probably the hardest thing for me when my first was born, so you'll be one step ahead!

13. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

yeah, i know how you feel, too. In the first trimester, my brain was constantly racing, it felt like i was on drugs......and i didn't know where any of the things i was thinking of were coming from, either....the most absurd things....like i'd suddenly think about socks, then what happened on a show that i watched on tv, then about a tree....yeah, i was messed......now my bc is doing the same thing to me.....
    once the 'thoughts' stopped, i was just uncomfortable and had to pee. All i could think of was it being practice....although when Leane ended up staying in the NICU for 4 days after she was born and the hospital sent me home I did get sleep, and it made it WORSE when she came home cuz i'd gotten some sleep

14. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I had a friend who had a hard time sleeping when she was pregnant and she would take benadryl. I'm not a doctor so I dont know how good it would be to take it unneccesarily and frequently. But thats what she did.

15. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

benadryl is an anti-histamine.... don't take it while pregnant.

16. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

agreed-don't take the benadryl

17. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Sorry! I was wrong, it wasnt benadryl, it was Sudafed.

18. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I've talked my boyfriend into coming and staying with me in a day because he'll be off work the rest of the week. Lying next to him helps me sleep....maybe it's the comfort, or because he's real warm and I am always cold no matter how much I bundle up. I don't know what I'll do after that, but I'll get a good 3 or 4 days rest. :D

19. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Sudafed will rev you up. It is a decongestant, not an antihistamine. Not a good idea while you are pregnant, unless you have really terrible allergies or a sinus infection, and your doc or midwife OK off on it.

20. AshtonsMom

AshtonsMom Banned

that is a BIG no no. :D