I call the civil rights act on this!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by make-love-not-war, Mar 18, 2010.

1. make-love-not-war

make-love-not-war Member

On the news yesterday, I saw an all black elementary school. not one other minority, not one white person. I didn't catch the name, but i flipped out. i was running around my living room going "CIVIL RIGHTS ACT CIVIL RIGHTS ACT!!!! 1964!!!! THAT'S ILLEGAL!!!!" and my mom just looked at me and said "yell and scream about it all you want. people think it's ok, because they're black. if we wanted an all white school, everyone would think it was the KKK or a nazi group."

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 says you cannot discriminate based on race, or gender, and it applies to everyone... not just white people. We're all equal on this planet. So tell me, why can they get away with this? Why is it that if i'm dark, i can have pride, but if i'm white, i'm a racist?

That's just not right...

2. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Do they block other races from going to that school?

Just going by your post it sounds like you saw a bunch of black people on tv and freaked out about it.

You say you don't even know the name of the school, so it seems obvious to me that you didn't do any checking into it at all before screaming racism.

I agree, there definately does seem to be racism at work here... but not in relation to the school.

3. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Sadly, I must agree with you.

MLNW...take a good hard look at what you wrote.

Zen

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

5. gorilla warfare

gorilla warfare Member

i've been to an inner city school before, where i was one of two white dudes. i take it you haven't been to one. its no big deal. white people tend not to live round those parts and therefore there are no white kids to go to the area's school.

i also went to a school in rural wisconsin where there were only white kids and a couple of natives. should the government start moving families to promote diversity? :rolleyes:

6. make-love-not-war

make-love-not-war Member

They used to bus kids to other schools for diversity, but it was too expensive. and no, there were no white kids, no hispanic kids, no asian kids. and the only way it would be a mostly black school is if it were in north omaha. but there's a lot of asians there as well. that's why this just puzzles the crap out of me. and it's not even just about the school. i go to an inner city school that's full of hispanic people but if you look in any classroom, it's not just one race of people. but everywhere i go it seems like people think i'm racist for something that anybody might do... I'd just like to know why that is.

7. gorilla warfare

gorilla warfare Member

i'm sure its not a deliberate action to place all the black kids in a separate school of their own as that would be outrageous and would be on the news for the rest of the year and in courtrooms for longer than that.

8. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

perhaps people think you are racist because you rant about the races...

here's a clue for you... we're all part of the human race...

Stop worrying about what race people are, and find out WHO they are, and that has nothing to do with the color of their skin.

9. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I agree with everyone else that you made some assumptions and you have no proof that the school is at all racist.

My school growing up wasn't almost all white...because that area of Oregon is almost all white. It wasn't a concerted effort to keep black people out it was just representative of the neighborhood and I have a feeling that that is what is going on at the school you are talking about.

10. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

I think there were two black kids at my high school, and everyone else was white. My school wasn't racist, it was just a reflection of the demographic in that area. Calm the fuck down.

11. famewalk

famewalk Banned

I believe that the real problem is the state not being government in the representation of serious minded peace and law officers.:p (Nia, nia, nia, niauh; don;t normally say that:))

12. Dr Contreras

Dr Contreras Guest

I don't think that your concern has anything racist in it, however, you have to understand something.
    There is a big difference between what you are talking about and racism.The black people and others have suffered some very real racism at the hands of white people.They were enslaved and their name language and culture were taken away.Some of them feel as they must create a cohesive group, even if it's segregated, in order to regroup and feel successful.
    They have every right to do this under the circumsatnces.I think that it's rediculous for white people to talk about being the victims of discrimination when they practically invented it.You cannot blame any racial group for wanting to break away. In their case, it's not that they are excluding whites, it is simply that whites don't want to go there.There is the largest difference.
    When I was a kid, I went to one of those schools with de-facto segreagtion (all black) and I was the token Mex. It was actually a really good experience.
    Peace.........Dr. C.:cool: