i ate meat for the first time in over 4 years

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by pink floyd, Jan 17, 2005.

1. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

i have been having these dreams.. nightmares, really.. about eating meat. like someone would slip some meat into my food or something, then i would wake up all freaked out. i didn't like that feeling of being AFRAID of a food. well the other day my roommate made some chicken enchiladas, and for some reason i just thought.. what the fuck, i'll eat one. so i did.. now i dont know whether i feel bad or good about it. i dont think i really want to start eating meat again (because i really do not like the thought of it)..

well i just thought id share this weird experience with you guys. after 4 meatless years, it kind of blows my mind that i ate some chicken.

2. minjeig

minjeig Member

whoa, it must be a weird feeling after 4 years. i've been veggi for just a little over 4 years right now and the thought of eating meat again just weirds me out. like i couldn't really imagine doing it again.

i guess the good thing now though is that you know that even if you thought you were afraid of meat, you aren't. now that you've proved that to yourself you can either just know you weren't afraid and go back to vegetarianism or choose to keep eating meat.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I tested a friend's theory of protien rush a couple years ago. I've been veggie for more than two decades and that sliver of fish was an experience. it was a rush...but give me drugs over that anyday..even bad drugs. Wait, it WAS bad drugs!
    I'm not too squeamish, I'll taste sauces on non-oily meat on occasion,
    but I don't think omni is the choice for me.
    (disclaimer: my personal definition of a drug is something you put in your system to affect change. All food falls under this TO ME)

4. Kiz

Kiz Member

What are we supposed to do, congratulate you?

5. Kiz

Kiz Member

Why is it a good thing? Why the hell is it good that he's proved to himself that he's too weak to stick to his own lifestyle choices?

6. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

woah kiz

way to be rude

see this is why i stayed away from this forum for the four years ive been at hipforums. whenever i come here for support there are always a few people who act mean and condescending to others for no reason.

too "weak" in my lifestyle choices eh? ..so apparently that chicken enchilada transformed me into a sub-human who doesnt deserve any respect? :rolleyes:

7. Elle

Elle Senior Member

I have dreams about eating meat too and I am always freaked out for a second when I first wake up. I can imagine it would be very weird swallowing chicken, especially after 4 years.

8. Kiz

Kiz Member

What did you expect people to say? I am sorry I was rude. But it was a bizarre thing to boast about in a vegetarian forum.

9. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I couldn't eat meat again if I wanted to. I've been a vegetarian for a little over 5 years, and I'm actually physically unable to digest it anymore. More than once, I had food that had meat in it without knowing, and I felt sick to my stomach. Later, I found out it had meat in it. I really think there's a connection because there's never anything else in the food that would make me feel ill. It's always an accident. Like, I'll ask if there's meat in it, and they say no, and remember later that there was.

I really wish people would make a better effort to remember. Not just out of respect for my ethics, but for my health, too.

10. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

I have not yet eaten meat, not once in my life. I was raised vegetarian and have been off and on vegan over the past couple of years. I dont think it is a great thing you did. I dont get what you gained, but you compromised on your convictions, which is seldom a good thing.

11. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

Wow, kids, way to be judgemental. What are you, the Food Police?

I'm surenone of you have ever done anything they're not proud of. Get off her case. She came in here to share an experience, she didn't ask for your opinion.

I agree with Pink, I try to avoid posting in this forum because I know I'm always going to get rude, unsolicited, "holier-than-thou" comments.

12. Piezoluminescent

Piezoluminescent Banned

Well If you tried it again and you didn't like it thats no big deal.lol it just means you don't like meat.I don't like eggs but I'll probly try them again sometime. And don't feel bad about eating it if thats the case.We have all ate meat at one point in our lives.

13. minjeig

minjeig Member

"Why is it a good thing? Why the hell is it good that he's proved to himself that he's too weak to stick to his own lifestyle choices?"

Spare me. he needed to prove to himself that he wasn't afraid of a food. if that's something that he felt he needed to do than I think it's probably a good thing. In fact, I think it's far from weak, being that he didn't consider the opinions of the militant types. It was his choice, not yours. I'm a vegetarian too, I don't agree with meat eating, but I acknowledge that I can only make that descision for ME.

14. psilonaut

psilonaut Mushroom Muncher

I've been psedo vegetarian for just a little over a half a year now, the only meat that I eat is wild game or free range animals. So the thought of eating meat dosn't really phase me.

I don't understand why anybody would be freaked out about the idea of eating meat. Humans are an omnivorous species, are bodies are designed to eat meat as well as vegtable.

15. MellowPsychedelia

MellowPsychedelia Member

I am with Kiz on this. I haven't killed a human in 19 years and I don't intend to give it a try to see what it feels like. actually psilonaut vegetables are worlds better for your body than meat. I dunno it does phase me about the mentality of it all "what the hell" and she ate the chicken. Again, I don't mean to be a wad or anything but I am with Kiz on this one.

16. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

That's becuase at the end of the day alot of Vegetarians are elitist wankers who see themselves as better than everyone else, becuase the rest of us a meat eating neanderthals with no repsect for animal life. [Legal disclaimer: Not all vegetarians are like this, but there are a large percentage that are.]

17. Loki84

Loki84 Member

It must have been an odd experience. I've been vegetarian for a good seven years, and if i did pick up a hamburger or something and eat it, I know it would be a strange experience.

18. MellowPsychedelia

MellowPsychedelia Member

actually, its more like compasionite wankers with a concern for things outside our speices. Besides which, I have met enough omnivores that were yelling and screaming at me because I don't eat meat before I could say two words I get "why don't you eat meat, I just can't understand it, stupid if you ask me, what a way to live". So the lack of understanding can occur on both sides of the fence.

19. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Well I've no problems with someone being a vegetarian, I think it's commendable, but I hate getting the high and mighty speech from them, nothing more fucking annoying.

See there's the high and mighty part, implying that I've no concern for anything outside out species just becuase I eat meat. I realise veggies get a hard time of some people, but they are just as bad aswell.

20. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

I think it's important for people to have something to feel self-rightious about, otherwise they'd have too much time on their hands and might be tempted to do something foolish like say, trying to improve--THEMSELVES.