I Am New To The Pill. How Important Is The Time I Take The Pill And The Pause When On The Period?

Discussion in 'Birth Control' started by jodiebaxter, Dec 12, 2016.

1. jodiebaxter

jodiebaxter Members

Hi,

I am new to the pill and am taking Diane 35. I have a few question that I hope you can help me out with:

1) How much can I deviate from the daily time I take the pill. Is plus/minus a few hours still ok? What is the maximum that is acceptable?
    2) After taking the pill for 21 days, then I stop taking it, and wait for my period. If let's say my period is over after 5 days, can I start with the next pack already? Or do I *have to* pause for exact 7 days?
    3) What should I do if on the 7th day after finishing a pack my period is not completely over, yet?
    4) Can I have sex in the 7 "pause" days between the packs? Will there be the same contraceptive protection?
    5) Assuming I become pregnant (for whatever reason). How soon will I notice that it happened? Will I still get my period in the 7 day pause of taking the pill? When will the period stop, or will it not stop when taking the pill even though there is a pregnancy?

Thank you : )

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

Do as the pack tells you, and you should be fine.

Obviously the same time of day taking the pill is better!

While it is never 100% about not getting you pregnant, it's Zero at protection for std,s! Don't leave yourself open to this!

Use condoms for the first 3 months, at least, and as often as is possible after that!

Once your into it, after 3 to 6 months, your 7 day break is protected too..

1 person likes this.
  3. Silverback64

Silverback64 Members

+1

4. jodiebaxter

jodiebaxter Members

Thank you!

You mention to use condoms for the first 3 months. I read the pill protection will be there after 7 days of starting to use it. Why do you suggest the 3 month wait?
    Also you mention the 7 day break is only protected after 3 to 6 months. I could not find information on that for the combination pill. Can you give me some sources?

I agree regarding the STDs. I have been with my partner for 2 years and we have both been tested recently.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Wasn't there a pamphlet with the pills? Each pill type has different conditions. Get the patient information sheet for yours.
    The pharmacy, or the drug makers' online sites have them.

6. Lvlygrl

Lvlygrl Members

I took the pill for 16 years. Condoms are still important as morrow explained.
    It's important for you take your pills the same time everyday until it is flowing throughout your body, usually about 6 months. After that, if you forget 1 or 2 hours earlier or later, it's not going to lose any effectiveness.
    I started on Sunday and took all pills till the "break period", during the break period, you have 7 days whether or not you start or stop your period. Then when the 7 days is up, you start a new pack on that Sunday....if you decide Sunday is your start date.
    I'm not a health care professional but I'm just telling you from 16 years of experience.