I am getting sores on my head.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by MamaGoose, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MamaGoose

MamaGoose Member

i am literally getting sores on my head. I have tried washing less, washing more, washing hard, washing soft, rinsing with water....i don't know.

My head is not super itchy(until after i notice a sore then the area around it becomes very itchy), my dreads are seperated and ther aren't too many hairs being pulled the wrong way, i use this beautiful natural indian soap with essential oils in it most of the time, but i've gotten to desperate i've tried all kinds of "regular" shampoos....

I've had me dreads in since mid-october of last year...i would hate to think my scalp is rebeling against my dreads but i am at a loss of what else to try?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any and all help or suggestions.

2. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

tea tree oil should help...

3. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Are the sore spots because you scratch or is it from the weight of your dreads?
    Maybe just treat your scalp with the tea tree (can you use peppermint on dreads people? that sounds really soothing...) and put your hair up in a hat to give your scalp a break from bearing all that weight.

4. KnottyAdam

KnottyAdam Member

i get sores under like random dreads, but mine arent from weight or scratching, it cant be weight cause its on the very top, and i dont scratch there...it hasnt happened as much since i started washing it more frequently, or it could be that i was sleeping and it just got pulled too hard

5. beautiful_freak

beautiful_freak Member

I think commercial shampoos will not do much good for your scalp, as well as switching shampoos often.. I would recommend an all-natural tea tree shampoo, or washing with apple cider vinegar (not sure how that would work out on the sores though?).. and yes, try some tea tree oil on the sores!

6. bunjies

bunjies Member

does your soap contain ylang ylang oil?
    i ask as my friend used some on skin as she had run out of tea tree, and it brought up dreadful sores, it looked like cigarette burns :(
    i think it can just be too potent for some peeps ;)

7. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

sometimes when my roots get to tight, my head gets weird sores.its not pulling for weird directions but just tight. also i get them on the back of my head and at the front for no reason, other than maybe my head being dryed out? i make a mixture about once a month with vitamin E, tea tree oil, sea salt, lemon juice and water. and occasionally aloe, if theres a plant around. I put it in a spray bottle and get it all over my hair, especally on my scalp... I usually leave it in for awhile then shower it out. my head always feels wicked after its washed out. maybe try something similar to that?

8. MamaGoose

MamaGoose Member

Thanks for all the tips.

I haven't tried just tea tree oil, or any direct appilcation of oil i figured since the soap i was using the most frequently would work because it was made of many good essential oils.

It just weird because usually i wear my hair up thus it can't be the weight, i wash at least 2-3 times a week, and if i get itchy i wash more. This has not been happening very long maybe a month. So i've tried diffrent shampoos like maybe 1 wash once a week to see if there is any diffrence....

Anywho it's just kind of gross and pissing me off. I'm going to try that deep cleaning solution and some tea tree oil, I'll let everyone know if they clear up.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

9. bunjies

bunjies Member

just a thought, is there any chance you are being bitten by midges or mozzies or summat?
    when i was working on the farm i would get them caught in my (non dreaded) hair and bite me, the bites didnt itch till i felt them, then they itched like mad!
    tea tree would any way if this is the case, and will hopefully keep them away!

10. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

^^^^^^^^^ that's what I was thinking. That's the only thing that makes any sense.

11. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

yep, i think that might be it.