I am autistic

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by Pressed_Rat, Jun 18, 2019.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've always thought autism meant when you can't stand to be around anyone at all ever, so much that you'd willingly starve, or otherwise neglect your health or safety, to death, to avoid company.
    how what the op is saying relates to this is not entirely clear to me.

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Here's what google says.

Often when referring to autism you will here people discuss it in terms of the autism spectrum. This can be a very serious condition, or it can be sort of subdued and less present in the foreground if you will, such that it can be ignored to some degree. I think I have some kind of autism, such that patterns are very comfortable for me. I don't like things that break up routines in my life, but I have coping strategies for such things/times.

Asperger syndrome is an autism disorder I think...

3. I've always had difficulty in social situations and communication myself. I don't care if I'm autistic, though. It's not important to me. At this point I'm used to not fitting in.

themnax likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

we might as well just petition skip to rename this autisticforums.

EloiseAtThePlaza and Driftrue like this.
  5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

you don't have to be autistic to post here, but it helps

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Brain damage helps as well. Both lend themselves to metaphoric logic in different ways and, you could say, autists see more of the Big Picture and less of its contents. The latest evidence is it is related to their immune system and epigenetic changes. As if their cellular biology were adapting to make them more or less social. Our sense of smell is believed to be a similar adaptation, with people feeling disgust when smelling things like rotting corpses, which carry diseases. In general, you could say the brain evolved to help our senses decide what is worth ignoring, because figuring out what is worth paying attention to is easy, the lowest needs met on Maslow's Hierarchy.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What you're describing is just the most clear and a more extreme (and easier to detect) form of autism.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Or something like a sense of smell is something that evolved in earliest common ancestor of most creatures 500 million years ago and never evolved-out as it where along each evolutionary branch from then

Almost all animals can smell and the basic workings of that are very similar. No real adaption for 500 million years

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If this thread has taught us only one thing:

Its that if you need advice on a personal issue, HF is the first place to come to

10. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Lots of good, honest and unwanted answers LOL

11. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Autistic, probably not. Weary of society and government, probably yes. Understandable

12. PR didn't really seek advice though

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

And here all this time I thought people were saying I was "artistic"...

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.