I am autistic

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by Pressed_Rat, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I was never diagnosed as having anything more than ADD, but I now realize I am one of these quirky people who are "on the spectrum." I have always known I was different, but have never truly known why. It became known to me within the last 5-10 years that I suffer from some form of high functioning autism that has likely "held me back" in the eyes of society. Because of this, I don't care much about having friends, a family, or being accepted by people for something I am not. I don't really give a shit about education or having a "good job." I just want to live as modestly as possible from day to day and enjoy the small things in life that everyone takes for granted. Is there something wrong with this? Am I a failure because of it?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Yes

rollingalong likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You seem like decent folk to me, no matter what's wrong with you. :)

For the record I reckon pretty much everyone has something going on with them, whether diagnosed or not. Whether it's minor anxiety or some form of psychological issue. Ain't no one growing up right living in the bullshit system we have to grow up in. :sweatsmile: we're all fucked.

parua, morrow and Pressed_Rat like this.
  4. No.

You do you.

We're all trying to do what we can, I don't think there's one path that works for everyone.

Pressed_Rat likes this.
  5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Have you ever considered joining a study or a clinical research trial at a local hospital or university offering to pay you to participate in a new drug treatment for autism?

If you don't want to be a guinea pig for the pharmaceutical industry they'll likely offer you a series of new psychotherapies aimed at quelling the disorder?

Either way you'll get paid and and gain a better understanding of your disorder.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Very racist indeed.

Kidding.

:p

7. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Just reading through.
    I suppose it is not easy on a forum.
    Difficult in life as it is, autism has a very wide spectrum.
    I see no reason to explain yourself.
    You are human that is what counts.
    A failure NEVER.
    Candy x

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Well to be honest with you I’m still steaming over those two phoenix police officers who held a pregnant mother along with her two young children age 4 and 2, at gunpoint, because her 4 year old
    walked out of the dollar store with a Barbie doll. The police officer then yelled "I’ll put a cap in your head if you don’t raise your hands" then proceeded to falsify the police report.

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I'm Getting A Tad Confused Here......One Minute We Are Discussing "Autism".....Then The Next

Minute "Racism"....Can Somebody Join The Dots For Me Please....???...:confused2:

Cheers Glen.

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

They are both "ism's" so obviously they are bad...

Something like that.

11. morrow

morrow Visitor

Your title, you self diagnosed? Isnt that in its self a form of depression? Which is part of ADD?
    People shouldnt self diagnose or self medicate for those diagnosis, can turn into a downward spiral in your mental health.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'd rather think my own thoughts then have my attention demanded. so much so that i've always been happier living by myself then with anyone.
    don't know it that makes me autistic or not. some people seem to think so.
    i even like people and affection, but just not all the time, and i think that's something i almost never crave.
    and i really don't understand why anyone seems to think that has to be any kind of depression either.

cats doen't have a problem with that and i'm more like a cat then how humans seem to think humans are supposed to be in that regard.

GLENGLEN and Candy Gal like this.
  13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You dont have autism, you just want to make up and affliction so you dont have to deal with being as ordinary and average as everyone else.

And you dont just enjoy the small things in life, thats just a lie you tell yourself to face you were never motivated enough with anything to not end up average

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    Don't really relate to this part but;

this kinda describes me as well.
    Even if it wouldn't, and I could relate far less, I still would emphasize NO. Nothing wrong with that.
    The only thing that would be wrong about it is if you find out too late its not entirely right :p ;)

But yeah, I agree with morrow about the self diagnose. Wouldn't make it a law or go around now declaring you're on the autism spectrum (not that you would randomly, I know. But neither when it comes up. Unless you get it verified just go with 'autistic tendencies' or traits). I have found I have autistic tendencies too but they're tendencies at best. IF I'm on the spectrum it would be on the very low end :p

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

People who are overly clear autistic are of course not failures because of it either. Certainly not by definition

morrow and themnax like this.
  16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've suspected the same thing about myself for a while, I read a couple of years ago that high functioning autism can present itself in girls differently because girls are natural social mimics so some of the social problems people with autism have aren't as apparent in girls. And some of the symptoms I've learned about just sort of click with me. My need for order and routine, OCD like tendencies, introversion and difficulty relating to people sometimes, auditory sensory sensitivity..there's other symptoms that fit me but I cant think of them right now

I dont really think it matters though, it doesn't change anything. The autism spectrum didnt even exist 20 years ago, people had to be severely autistic to receive a diagnosis

It definitely doesn't make you a failure though, if anything the broadening of what defines the spectrum can maybe lend some understanding to who you are. But you've always seemed cool to me. The world needs people who are a little quirky and different. Sameness is boring

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you don't need to need friends, to consider how we make the world the way it is to have to live in.
    not each entirely by ourselves, but how we each contribute to it being that way,
    and the preferences and choices we can make that affect that.

18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

If anything, I think this would be what I would struggle with. Where do I fit in the grand scheme, or eyes of society? To be honest, you've never struck me as a failure. You're always fairly articulate, and I think that's the mark of someone who is learned. That, and you've demonstrated interest in music. I think that shows you're not all completely detached.

If anything, I'd say you haven't let it slow you down! :)

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

You don’t present as someone with autism to me, PR. I have seen some videos you have posted, coupled with your posting style and I would never flag you as autistic.

Not that that matters much. I think that you feel different in some way, and that different feeling is important to you and really defines your life and your identity as a person.

By my measures, I do not think you are a failure. I suppose the answer to that questions depends on whose definition of failure we are using.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

....or.....all chics are retarded.

And if you all are, relative to each other, none of you are.

;)