Hypothetically speaking (or possibly not) what would you do,

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hippiehillbilly, Jan 27, 2009.

1. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

I'd welcome it actually

2. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

do you have 9 months of food? do your neighbors? does your government?

seriously,if the banking system shut down for 9 months within weeks if not days trade would grind to a halt,factories would shut down food production would cease.

the government would have to take charge and figure out a way to produce and distribute food to the masses long term without a guarantee of payment to those producing it..

i dunno about australlia but here in the states we have seen how inept FEMA is. they have trouble feeding a city for a week much less a entire country for months..
    in a long term scenario like you suggest i have to disagree that most would be able to survive..

3. MrDot

MrDot Senior Member

Stock up on food with all the little bit of money I had on me and pray for the best.

4. hippiehillbilly

lets throw this in the mix, the power grid goes down as well..:eek: then what?

5. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Well if there was trouble for that long, one things for sure, Id have to learn as much as possible about delivery a baby on my own :tongue:

6. hippiehillbilly

in most cases they pretty much deliver themselves. your only job will be to catch it and chew through the umbilical cord..:p

7. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Might need a beer after that lol, the only part of Jacks birth which made me light headed was when the cord was severed :tongue:
    But dont worry, I quickly regained my composure and got to hold him right away :D

8. hippiehillbilly

i remember we had a dainty female OBGYN and my weak moment was when she shoved both hands up in the ex..(she didnt use forceps)

9. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

If it went down tomorrow, the food would be ok, because the room the freezer is in is poorly insulated. :p In July, we'd lose meat, but we would still have other food to eat.
    We could drag out the BBQ and cook a bunch of stuff.
    I do wish we had a woodstove. During the ice storm of '98 we lost power for 5 days and had to go stay with relatives. If I'd had a woodstove I would have stayed home.

We do have a gas generator for emergencies, but it wouldn't be practical for long term.

10. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

I'll be canning, and sun drying meat like a mother fucker.

cuz I got a freezer full too.

luckily its winter now, and I'd have a little time to get it preserved

11. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Yea, no forceps for Jack either lol :tongue:

12. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

They had to use forceps for my oldest sister. We used to make fun of her and tell her that's why she was crazy.

13. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Yeah, the use of forceps is kind of frowned upon these days. They used them on my sister too. haha

14. Autentique

Yeah, but she was born in '76.

15. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Was she delivered by Dr. Frankenstein? :D
    My sis was born in 69.

16. Autentique

Not sure, Im gonna have to check on that with my mom.
    :p

17. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I stopped putting my money in the bank, I have my suspicions about where it's going. I can keep track of it when I have it in cash. The only time I use my account at our credit union is when I want to buy something online. I do have $35 in there right now, but it's just spending money for extra things. If I were to lose that $35, oh well. I buy all my groceries for a week on Saturdays, I try to buy Daniel's smokes by the carton (unless there's a sweet 2 for 1 like there has been this week, haha), and I pay for most everything anymore with cash. And I would have a hayday at work because not accepting credit cards cuts down on the time it takes me to serve customers. :D

18. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

Assuming this is in Britain Scenario 1 - I have parents, they deal with all money and buying goods so y'know, what can I do? Although my dad's not here so it'd mean more food for us till monday. We'd probably go down the newsagents tbh since they know us.

Scenario 2- do we have two weeks+ food on us? Nope. I don't think we'd be able to store all that food.

19. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

Wow, thanks for this thread. My mom always kept a shit load of cash for emercencies inher dresser. I think maybe we should start doing the same.
    ATM, We could get by for a week I'd say without access to money or cash on us as we always have a ton of food and tons of botteled water. We could get by longer if it wasn't for dog food.

20. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

If the power went out and water went out we would def be fine.
    Our biggest prob would be how to finish the 10 pints of frozen yogurt and sorbet we have in our freezer lol. We have a lot of food for two people, especially now because I haven't been eating because of my tooth (thank you extraction diet...I heart you!)