Hypocrisy Knows No Boundaries

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by ZenKarma, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Especially when it comes to the subject of politicians and money.

Here in California, and I gather elsewhere, former anti-pot crusading lawmakers, law enforcement figures and others are now singing a different tune.

The new tune is pro-Cannabis, especially for-HIGH-profit retail Cannabis.

“I became a convert to the true impact of cannabis." - Tom Lackey

Others such as Jim Cooper who once served in the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department for 30 years, as an undercover narcotics officer now sing a new song. He is now in the California State Assembly urging others to embrace the economic benefits of Cannabis legalization, and by extension, taxation.

The thought of all those profitable Cannabis-dollars slipping out of their grasp is simply abhorrent to a California politician these days.

2. ~Zen~

Apparently everyone on this site agrees with this, because no one has commented with a different opinion.

Guess this is startlingly true!

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

A local lawyer on Norml's legal committee that told me a few years ago that we basically just had to wait until people with money started to catch on that weed can be a very lucrative business and we would see the tide turn very quickly

He called that one

I've also read about how this has been problematic for small time growers who are being forced out of business by the proverbial amazons and wal marts of the weed world

ZenKarma likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Speaking of Norml

5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Not to be rude, but what do you want us to do? Be amazed that politicians waiver and switch on issues?

That's been going on since human beings first organized politically.

ZenKarma likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Politicians are no different than the people who elect them.

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  8. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

You hit that nail on the head. Can't be angry at the politicians for simply being good at the game we created

Orison likes this.
  9. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

"leftists" ?

Meliai likes this.
  11. machinist

Also a great example of the right doing what leftists like and leftists STILL complaining about the right.

You guys are never ending entertainment with your mental gymnastics.

12. soulcompromise

There are still many politicians whose views don't align with marijuana reform though. Jeff Sessions recently went against pot as we can all probably remember.

13. soulcompromise

You keep pointing at the left and laughing, machinist. :)

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hey, they're supposed to represent them! Now they represent the average joe adequately where it comes to hypocritical opportunism and its still not good.. :p ;)

I disagree with this. We can be angry, critical and judgemental about any malpractices of our politicians who supposedly chose their function for the right reason. Otherwise we would all live in a corrupt 'shithole country'.

Nothing by definition of course. But it depends on the details. Motives and having a spine matter. Money matters too. But in this particular instance it seems a case of big money again. When big money makes people with long held principles *cough cough* flip like a pancake you should be wary. Well, not you of course, as you don't seem to care about all that :)

This sentence probably only makes sense to you. I hope for your sake it was just an attempt at humor again. At least then you would only be 'comically impaired' ;)

scratcho and McFuddy like this.
  15. Running Horse

They only involve themselves in such practices because they, like us all, are tuned into the societal ideals of bigger is better, only I matter, more is never less, & power is right in all situations. We bought this global society with strife, blood, sweat, & tears. No one's bothered to stop & look for better alternatives. We deserve the corrupt politicians, mass murderers, gangs, etc. Greed is the marching tune history stomps to......

16. machinist

As you sit in the library at the computer provided to you by the society you resent and are ungrateful for.

17. machinist

Lets talk about hypocrisy...

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Meh.

Look at other countries.

I think a significant amount of people get into politics for the proper reasons (and no, machinist: its not limited to one political side :p). They often get corrupted and/or numbed down later because of power, money, the hopelessness of 'the game', etc. etc.

19. Running Horse

I use the technology society has so that I might enjoy myself once in awhile. Never said I wasn't occasionally greedy too. What part of that statement gave you the idea I resent or am otherwise offended by society? I hate the ideals we've made addendums onto the contract of society. I still believe democracy can work just not with our current way of doing things

20. machinist

Seems to me it already is working.