Hygiene

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by xdianax, Aug 26, 2005.

1. xdianax

xdianax Member

I haven't found much information on the subject so far. I was wondering how people camping for an extended period of time deal with hygiene (i.e. going to the bathroom, keeping clean, washing oneself and ones' clothes) without polluting the area.

:) In love,

Diana

2. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

I have a bio-degradable soap that I use for my dishes, hair, body, and clothes. I have no Idea what it is called, because it was given to me by a friend, and he just put some in a plain bottle for me.

3. guy

guy Senior Member

take some baby wipes with you for your hands and face and groin area, burn them when they're dry so you're not carrying them around (suppose you could use them as fire starters after) take some talc for your feet (don't breathe it in).

4. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

dr. bronner's liquid soap is biodegradable and you can use it for everything:washing yourself, your clothes, brushing your teeth and washing your dishes. great stuff.

i also carry around a roll of T.P and burn it when i'm through.

5. LavenderandBlue

LavenderandBlue Member

is it the glycerine soap?

6. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Baby wipes and bio-degradable soap is the best way to go. Even though it is biodegradable try not to use the soap near any water-sources in the area.

7. guy

guy Senior Member

when some people are dying to lay one in the woods they dig a small hole, drop their deposit, cover the hole in and then use toilet paper to wipe the necessities. if they have a friend nearby they then can have a tea tree solution mixed with water splashed onto their hands and then finish off using baby wipes. the toilet paper is then burnt safely ie not starting a bushfire and voila no problems. if you don't wash your hands properly you'll end up with conjectivitus or gastro if you're not lucky. some people chose to haul their shit around in their backpack so not to pollute the nviroment but i leave this decision up to you.

8. mazzy

mazzy Member

its not very enviromentally friendly, unless you take it with you i guess...but a friend of mine told me at festivals he takes a garbage bag, fills it with water and then hangs it from a tree, punches a hole in it and instant shower! don't know how practical it is for long periods of time but he swears by it...

9. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

i don't see how leaving your poo there is polluting... (not to mention incredibly unhygienic and dangerous, chances of getting e. coli and other diseases if it's not sealed properly) animals do it all over, and we're animals too... hehe, seems kinda rediculous to me

you guys have some good suggestions though... :) i've been wanting to camping for a while

10. guy

guy Senior Member

ahh you might be right there - but sometimes people can get very p*ssed off that people have a crap and don't haul it out. makes me wonder exactly what it is they do with it when they get home? i suppose thats their story and perhaps they can elaborate?

11. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

DNR teaches dilution is the solution....so when possible urinate in moving water...and try to bury poop.....as far as washing your skin.....i wouldnt...your stink keeps the bugs away

12. rainwater314

rainwater314 Member

dr bronners is excellent. get it in liquid form though for your dishes, teeth, and everything else. You could get biodegradable toilet paper. i would buy a solar shower..they are fairly cheap and worth the investment (walmart has them for like 20.00). as for a make shift toilet, an A shovel (the small hand spade types that fold in half) are a good all around tool (cheap as well). you can fold them in half to sit on as a toilet or dig a hole for your waste. although leaving feces in the woods is not a problem, i would recommend burying it (covering it up) so that you arent likely to step in it or attract certain animals. You can use dr bronners for your clothes as well and hang them on a tree branch to dry. Place a rock on top if its kinda windy. hope some of this helps.

13. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I think the whole point is to have as little impact on the environment as possible. Pack out everything you pack in. Don't disturb foilage around the campsite best you can, don't gather wood for fires, and don't contaminate the natural water sources. Anytime anything goes in the water it contaminates it. These things may not have a large impact from just one person, but if thousands of hikers a year are choppin wood for fires and bathing in ponds and streams it is going to have a negative effect on the ecosystem. We want to best preserve the environment we enjoy so much while hiking.

14. stoney

stoney Member

dr. bronner's is the best, i love that stuff