Hydrogen fueled vehicles

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by Changeyourlatitude, May 15, 2004.

1. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

I’m into alternative energy but really didn’t know much about how hydrogen fuel would be produced. I did a little research and the picture isn’t all that gloomy. At least if you read the first site and work down to the last one. I think this government money is well spent!

Government sources: http://avt.inel.gov/hydrogen.html

Freedom car

http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/

Fuels http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/technologies/fuels/index.shtml

The oil giants will of course want a large piece of the pie but in the fuels link above it shows room for competition!

I have a friend in Finland that produces biodeisel and has his electric bill down to under $4.00 a month. Biodeisel can be used to make hydrogen fuel!
    Changeyourlatitude

2. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

hydrogen is great, till your whole town turns into dresden (heh) when one car crashes into a telephone pole. Everyone must insist that we should fill up a tank, and never have to go near it for another year, they suck. I like the glass bubble idea, which may or may not have been in the articles you posted.

3. Crumb

Crumb Member

"DOE is also exploring the potential of petroleum-based fuels as an interim source of hydrogen for environmentally friendly fuel cell vehicles. Gasoline and other petroleum fuel components are being tested for their suitability to produce hydrogen onboard fuel cell vehicles. Without a hydrogen infrastructure, such an interim technology may be necessary in order to introduce fuel cell vehicles into the marketplace."

As long as it is really interim then that initial practice will be ok, but if they simply suck hydrogen out of the oil...then it is rather self-defeating. The problem with Fuel Cell's is not a lot of information is available on the production. I imagine that over time they would be much more friendly than your average car, however we don't know how much waste and pollution is being produced in just the manufacturing. I've been to Seele's membrain production plant (they are one of Honda's subsidaries) and seen how nasty the production of just the membrain can be. The truth is as long as sprawl continues, and the need for vehicles increases we'll find new ways of producing waste.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for technologies that decrease our impact. I much prefer a car that produces H2O as it's effluent than the junk that is streaming out of our tail-pipes now. Also, the truth is that with proper planning Hydrogen will be safer than our current fuel sources with regards to say, wrecking your car. For one, hydrogen is much lighter than air, it dissipates rapidly when it is released, allowing for a faster dispersal of the fuel in case of a leak. As with any fuel it's neccessary to take precautions, but hydrogen wasn't even the cause of the Hindenburg fire, but rather the paint which contained the same component as rocket fuel, and was ignited by an electrical discharge while docking. As far as Dresden, I'm not sure I see how that corresponds as the bombs were filled with highly combustible chemicals such as magnesium, phosphorus and petroleum jelly (napalm).

4. Changeyourlatitude

5. mmmnuggets

mmmnuggets Member

your angels for moving forward with your ideas..... I support alternative fuel as well.....i just have other views about this

magnitude please decompress soon
    dirty water
    end this soon
    flailing headfirst into oblivion
    mother earth shake us off soon
    blackened sky
    we the parasites
    we the mosquitos
    watch your TV
    watch the swan
    tear- up at Gods ugly mistakes
    and marval as science makes pretty
    buy more plastic
    anti-bacterial soap
    we are done for
    bring it soon mom
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

yet i admire your optimistic ideas maybe it will inspire me to actually regain so much needed faith in my kind, mankind unkind?

6. Changeyourlatitude

Brother, Mother Nature has always taken care of herself and when we abuse her enough she will spit us out like a cancer and live on.

It is the flowers go with the weeds so do all you can to keep the flowers from going down with the weeds.

Changeyourlatiude

7. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Any feasible technique for producing hydrogen either uses more energy than you get back by burning the hydrogen (electrolysis of water), or relies on stripping (reforming) hydrogen from fossil fuels like oil or natural gas. Both of these processes do NOTHING to curb global warming, as the electricity used is generated using fossil fuels, and the waste products of reforming are greenhouse gases!

Hydrogen power and fuel cells only make sense in very specialized applications, such as manned spacecraft, where cost is no object, cryogenic gases are used for propulsion anyway, and the waste product (water) can be used for drinking.

Hydrogen is NOT an energy source. It is a STORAGE MEDIUM, and a pretty lossy one at that.

8. Changeyourlatitude

I was kind of excited by the article on Solar Hydrogen Production by Electrolysis in the link I posted above yesterday. There are a large number of areas in the desert states where large-scale production could be made with zero impact on the environment. The original investment would be very high but look at the cost of fuel additive cleanup. Take a look at the article and give it some thought.

Changeyourlatitude

9. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Sure, the desert southwest has LOTS of potential for generating solar electricity, but one thing it DOESN'T have an abundance of is the other thing you need to generate hydrogen via electrolysis--WATER. :)

10. Changeyourlatitude

Dude

Then build the damn thing here in Puerto Rico where the labor is cheap. We have enough sun and water. Rain in the mountains and UV 9 or 10, severe 345 days a year! We could float the stuff back to the states on a hydrogen powered ship. It's friggin hot down here every day and there is only about ten days a year you couldn't get a 3rd degree burn sunburn laying on the beach. We got your sun and water!

Changeyourlatitude

11. trippymcnugget

trippymcnugget Member

I just don't understand how you guys say you want hydrogen gas cars, but making hydrogen gas produces just as much pollution as making gasoline.

Kind of a double standard, huh?

I'm all for hydrogen cars because it'll save me money. I don't really care about the pollution. lol