Hurricane Michael 2018

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Oct 9, 2018.

1. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

To listen or download click here

"Michael was the strongest hurricane to hit that part of Florida ever on record, making landfall on Wednesday, October 10th in the morning and may be the third largest to hit the U.S. mainland with winds surges of up to 175 miles per hour and sustaining at 150. Because of the quick increase, localities in the storms path found themselves under prepared for such a devastating catastrophe. The state of Florida Department of Corrections refused to evacuate about 12 prisons that were in the Mandatory Evacuation areas in the path of Hurricane Michael despite a call-in campaign by Fight Toxic Prisons.

Here are a few links for info if you’re in Florida as well as ways to donate from a distance:

Florida People’s Advocacy Center in Tally is a safe space for people to come for disaster relief (trans inclusive and very supportive of undocumented individuals)

Tallahassee DSA Fund:
    Click here to support DSA TLH Hurricane Relief Fund organized by Cosby Martin Hayes

Mutual Aid Disaster Relief:
    Donate - Mutual Aid Disaster Relief

Amazon Wishlist for the Panhandle:
    Your List"

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well if half the fleet was grounded, id say thats Trumps fault, not Obamas, Trump has been president long enough

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

They were all purchased long before Trump. The lack of hardened hangers also happened before him. The F22 is not a reliable aircraft. It has been replaced by the F35.

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The topic here is Hurricane Michael 2018.

Orison likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

6. Aerianne

Orison likes this.
  7. Aerianne

Some good things are taking place regarding recovery in Panama City Beach, FL and surrounding areas.

All photos are from the business owners group known as All Things PCB.

[​IMG]

Several private planes have carried in medical supplies, air mattresses, and blankets.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orison likes this.
  8. Aerianne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were standing behind us in line and I started talking to him. They live in Callaway. Their house was destroyed but they are still staying there. This was the first time since the hurricane happened that they were able to get out and get groceries. I asked him how he planned on paying for it and he said he was using his last paycheck. I told him we would cover it.
    [​IMG]

Irminsul and Orison like this.
  9. Aerianne

Gulf Power. One week post storm and they have 7,500 people in Bay County and have set 6,000 new power poles.

[​IMG]

10. Aerianne

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

12. Aerianne

This was written just yesterday, by a National Guardsman, I believe.

It isn't over by a long shot!

Keith Kramer
    Yesterday at 9:19 AM

For those of you who aren't here, this person described it perfectly. I'm AMAZED that the National News isn't covering all that is happening here. I truly cannot believe it.

Hey all, just now have a signal....still not a great one....but I got a pre-paid T-Mobile sim card and I can finally communicate a bit.

I’m deployed up here in Panama City for disaster response with my agency and we took off with two hours notice and everyone here volunteered to go.

I’ve been in various areas of Bay County while here, Panama City, Mexico Beach, Lynnhaven, and PC Beach.

I’ve heard the word “devastation” used a lot and it can’t fully be appreciated until observed first hand. There are areas here, like Mexico Beach, that are literally destroyed. The damage is unfathomable and short of a nuclear weapon, we couldn’t cause that much damage on purpose with military weaponry and bombing.

The old “we will rebuild” saying doesn’t really apply here. Imagine if your entire town was wiped out; your home, your place of work, your child’s school, the places you shopped, the places you liked to eat, the things you saw everyday.....all gone. You can rebuild structures, but it’s not the same places or memories.

The people here are suffering greatly; they are shell shocked, lost, depressed, scared and uncertain about their future. I’ve seen the thousand yard stares, the walking wounded and those trying to make the best of things. Everyone here is just trying to get through to the next day.

The conditions for the people here are absolutely abysmal and even the mostly unscathed are having to adjust to this harsh existence.

The ER’s and hospitals are choked with the injured and more keep coming. Fire and EMS are scarce as they are heavily tasked with rescue and recovery operations. When people get hurt their options are limited and we’ve had to bandage people up the best we can and give them medical supplies and medications that we brought for ourselves.

Many if the roads are unpassable or treacherous to drive on. There are downed trees, downed power lines that are especially hard to see at night, and debris is everywhere. If their car punctures a tire or beaks down, there is no way to fix it yet. We had to bring a city mechanic with us and extra parts and tires. The local police cars here are all seemingly damaged. There are abandoned broken cars everywhere, with many just left in the street.

The passable roads are choked with traffic, due to returning residents, refugees going out, and thousands of power line trucks, tree service trucks, supply convoys and first responder vehicles. We use emergency lights while driving everywhere in order to get to where we are needed.

Almost none of the roads here have working street lights, many don’t have working traffic signals and few have intact street signs or stop signs. There are dead animals all over the roads; dogs, cats and wildlife, because of the chaos. There are numerous crashes happening and with a recent heavy fog that has appeared, several first responders have collided at intersections.

There is a strict curfew from 7 PM to 7 AM that is being enforced so that convoys can get through and looting can be controlled. Also, it’s too dangerous to drive at night. Anyone caught out without a legitimate purpose has been stopped, detained and searched. Many critical sites and businesses are being guarded by either police or assault rifle-armed private security. Some small business owners are parking at their buildings at night.

The power situation is uneven and sporadic, and the power linemen, who are the unsung heroes here, have done a phenomenal job in restoring power. The magnitude of their task is incredible and encompasses several states. There are power workers from almost every state here working around the clock. The lines, poles, junctions and transformers all have to be replaced and repaired. A lot of areas are dark and the sound of generators is everywhere.

The water situation is bad, and even in areas with running water, it’s not safe to drink yet. There’s open sewage in many places and in some places there have been sewage rivers.

The stores, businesses and restaurants that weren’t damaged aren’t open or are open for limited times. Pharmacies are open for a few hours and the only restaurants open are the non-destroyed Waffle Houses. The Waffle Houses rock and they brought in food trucks to assist in helping to feed. Sam’s Club is open and has been just giving away things to community. Target has been the same. Home Depot is open and it’s full of contractors in the lot everyday, getting supplies to make repairs. Publix just opened after getting some supplies. The banks are closed. There are no non-essential stores open and many businesses that are intact, don’t have employees to man them.

Cell service is spotty and limited. There are mobile emergency hot spots set up all over, but those get overwhelmed and the speed drops. There’s no cable service available at this time, so many can’t watch TV and news is hard to get out.

Tens of thousands of trees were felled, damaged or splintered and wood piles cover every corner, sidewalk and road shoulder. When we first arrived there was smoke everywhere from people trying to burn the wood for light and to cook on.

Food is hard to find, and if the people didn’t have canned or preserved food items they have to come to the feeding sites for hot meals and to get MRE’s to bring home. Pet food is even harder to find.

Gasoline is scarce due to most the gas stations being damaged or wrecked. There are mobile fueling sites for first responders, but all the open gas stations have miles long lines and the gas is rationed.

There is no mail service, and there’s almost no mailboxes to put mail in anyway. There’s no home deliveries from UPS, FedEx, Amazon...nothing.

There’s no residential garbage pickup and the spoiled food and human waste people have put in bags is piling up.

Life here for these people is hard, and for many, their lives have changed forever. Every person here has a story and some have brought tears to our eyes. I’ve seen so many terrible things as a cop and in the military, but this is different. No one here brought this on themselves and there is no one to blame or justice to get. This is just tragedy on a massive scale. In just a few hours, within an entire region, tens of thousands of victims were instantly created.

Each person here could just as easily be me or you, and that’s something to think about. There are those who will try not to think about people in this condition, because it’s too hard or because they are busy, or have “stuff going on”, but once you see it....once you experience it, you will never think the same again.

I think this is all I can write about for now. There’s so much to tell and so many thoughts, sights and emotions to process. I hope this post goes through.

I will write more later or when I can. I’ll talk more about:

1. How you can help

2. Our camp and our living conditions

3. The amazing people here helping these people. These are literally the best people I’ve had the privilege of meeting

4. Our mission and what I’ve been doing

5. Some of the specific places and what happened to them

A quick thank you to my wife, she’s supported me here and she’s willing to sacrifice all of our plans in order for me to be here.

I also want to thank the few who reached out to her and offered support during this time. You have my gratitude.

Hope all is well with everyone

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That was sad to read but this part is awesome. Humans are always amazing in their generosity in the face of disaster

Orison and Aerianne like this.
  14. deleted

deleted Visitor

its amazing this dude and his camera survived..

Aerianne and GLENGLEN like this.
  15. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

https://mutualaiddisasterrelief.org...are-finishing-what-hurricane-michael-started/

"Hundreds of residents in low income housing projects in Panama City have gotten eviction notices in the days following the category 4 catastrophe of hurricane Michael, which shredded the region into a state of nonrecognition. In short, it looks like a war zone.

[​IMG]

In an area where no bush, no tree, no building was spared in some measure by Michael’s thrashing wind gusts, relieved occupants of impoverished communities whose walls weren’t felled, the survivors of a storm bearing the same descriptor all storms as of late, historic, pulled through only to find landlord issued notices pinned to their doors. The notices gave them one to three days to leave; no rent reimbursement, without contingency directive and with the caveat that all things left behind would be destroyed courtesy of land owners.

[​IMG]

As Mutual Aid Disaster Relief autonomous medics and distribution crews with trucks and vehicles full of supplies continuously came through these spaces, free legal aid information was disseminated of pro bono lawyers standing by and those left behind in sweltering apartments thick with moldy air, were still waiting for FEMA after they had already cancelled two appointments to get assessments for residents’ federal assistance.

FEMA’s cancellations and no shows came in the aftermath of their delivered directions to occupants who were waiting for them that “every person who lives in the home must be present at the house when we come for the assessment.” Thus, what a cancelled appointment looks like is a mother of a one-year old baby staying in an apartment for days on end which is half exposed to open air and “with nails and ceiling falling on us when we are inside.” With the looming deadline for their eviction notice, some families can’t leave because FEMA is coming. “And we can’t not be here when they arrive.

To further the atmosphere of high anxiety and despair, whereas there the absence of FEMA is heavily felt, so is the concentrated presence of police and military back-dropping the destruction as they zip through the streets, cutting through traffic in multi-dozen vehicle caravans and posted up with military outside of collapsed houses of commodity where products that have been laid bare are causing a frenzy of panic to capitalist watchdog law enforcement who have been arresting people in violation of the sun-up to sun-down curfew in desperate effort to quell the scenes of frenzied looters from their darkest post law and order fantasies."

[​IMG]

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since the dawn of civilization the poor have gotten screwed over and not much has changed in the intervening years.
    Many of them have no other place to go.

17. Aerianne

Nothing about this hurricane has made me sit and cry real tears until this.

They have to get these kids back into some kind of routine just to keep them all from going stir crazy.

Some of them are sleeping on the streets, living almost like little mongrel dogs.

The teachers are going to have to be pulling lessons out of their butts. Our kids don't even use school books anymore. They are issued laptops. If they used school books they'd all be ruined from the hurricane.

They don't have shoes and clothes, let alone pencils and paper.

You can't send anything to them as I understand it because the mail and deliveries are not running.

Take a look at the things they've asked for.

[​IMG]

Just sharing: DONATIONS SITES for SCHOOLS Bay County Schools: Bay District Schools

Page Liked · 12 hrs ·

Please note that we are very grateful for donations but can only manage the listed items during the posted times at the designated locations. We are running on a skeleton crew, with little storage, a massive task ahead and no time to sort through useful donations and ones that don’t work for our mission. The experts have advised us that this is the best way to go so we are following their sage guidance.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

19. Aerianne

God Y'all....Look!

[​IMG]

20. Aerianne