Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Meliai, Sep 12, 2018.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

not really, most our birds and pork come from farms within our own state. If the price went up it would be pennies and not really noticed. Other than stock that goes into things like soups and canned good. Most if not all fresh meats are sold within the state.

2. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Here are some amazing and horrific updates from Florence. These are primarily audio, so take a listen.

This Is America #31: Autonomous Florence Relief Efforts - It's Going Down

"This reality of the true nature of the State in the face of the storm, was made even more clear, when yesterday, President Trump flew out to a photo-opt, and during the press conference launched into familiar talking points about how prepared and amazing the government response was, how the State had the “best people,” and how great the economy was doing. He then asked if the area near where his expensive golf course was impacted by the storm, and after learning that it was unaffected, went across the street to ask a man with a yacht left in his yard by the storm waters, if it was indeed his. When the man replied “No,” Trump stated: “At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.” Trump concluded his photo-opt by helping to hand out sack lunches and telling people to, “Have a good time.”

But debris is about the only thing people in North and South Carolina will get out of the storm, as the areas hit the hardest are some of the poorest in the region. Now, people are returning to their damaged homes and finding collapsing infrastructure unable to deal with the realities brought on by climate change, in an area where the government literally passed a law against using climate change data while preparing for disasters. Being that we live in a country where literally the average household can’t afford an unforeseen $500 expense, the impact of destroyed and damaged homes, often uncovered by insurance, will be to put it mildly, devastating.

Back in the Carolinas, 37 have already sadly lost their lives (to say nothing of the thousands of farm animals), and almost a million have lost power or able to access basic services. According to one report:

Most impacted are the poor, elderly, those living in rural communities, and migrant workers, who are being targeted through check points and at shelters by ICE. Perhaps most horrific, has been the deaths of two women being transported by Sheriff’s deputies, who drowned after two officers left them in the back of a vehicle, after having climbed on top to avoid flooding.

To further compound the horror, is the growing threat of water contamination and pollution from hog farms, coal sites, and nuclear plants. Already, Duke energy has reported two spills into water ways from coal plants, sewage plants have lost power and flooded into water ways, and one nuclear power plant was cut off to outside personnel due to flooding. Again, the impact from these industries is tied into the nature of capitalism itself; both North and South Carolina are seen as some of the most ‘business friendly’ states in the country, with low regulations and government oversight. But while this has made corporations and wealthy business owners rich, it now threatens the lives and drinking water of millions.
    [​IMG]

We are the first relief organization to get a supply plane into #Wilmington and distribute it directly to people in need.
    Donate to Click here to support Grassroots Hurricane Relief organized by Giles Paul#HuricaneFlorence#DisasterReliefpic.twitter.com/3ID6pP0yt7

— This is Mutual Aid – Willmington (@MutualAid14) September 17, 2018

But in the face of this a new material force is rising, one based on autonomy, direct action, and the power of horizontal organization. The inspiring success of anarchist and autonomous action in North and South Carolina should be a wake up call for all of us: we can not only create the kind of world that we want, but that people are ready for it. Moreover, we can, and will, create the dual power we so desperately need, from autonomous clinics, to community centers, to distribution systems of goods and services, built on lines of mutual aid and communal control.

In that spirit, enjoy the interviews!

Places To Donate:
    Blue Ridge Autonomous Defense Venmo: @Paulg-36

Disaster Relief Amazon Wish Life: Your List

Interface Climate Justice Organize in Lumberton Venmo: @interfaithclimatejustice"

And there's also interviews on Crimethinc: CrimethInc. : The Hotwire #37: September 19, 2018 : Evictions in Hambach—Aid & Disaster Relief after Florence—Strikes!

And The Final Straw: Conflict Resolution with the Callisto Collective | The Final Straw Radio Podcast

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The coal ash :rage:

Duke Power was already in hot water for a coal ash spill in NC a couple of years ago

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]
    I40 North Carolina..

Dude111 likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

Asmodean likes this.
  6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

^ ^ ^
    That's got to smell gross.

I talked to a man while I was out today and he said his friend lives in NC and had been posting pics of his split level home with water all the way up to the eaves on the top section.

Still more water to come.

Dude111 likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Visitor

that is just what is on the road being seen.

8. Aerianne

Ugh.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

I imagine those are ocean fish. That is just crazy.

10. Aerianne

Now, if they could just find where all the seabirds got run off to they'd have a real clean up crew.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

any bears in those woods are like OMFG!!

12. Aerianne

I can't imagine all the clean up that has to be done. Like the guy said at the grocery store today, when I mentioned buying some bleach to put in the donation box for hurricane relief goods - He said he doesn't think there's hardly enough bleach in the world to help those folks out.

Orison likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

Its almost impossible to imagine. Our floods last a day or two, ... Weeks under water and not knowing if your structure even made it .. Rebuilding all the flooded houses, gutting drying .. mold prevention, roofing, heating, cooling. I look on the bright edge of things. The recovery shows our human spirit is never crushed, no matter what life throws at us.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Leaves an indelible scar though...

Orison likes this.
  15. deleted

deleted Visitor

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

So the news got this veteran or active duty guy.. his house gets ransacked while helping the flooded areas.. gofund now has $15,000.00 for a stolen laptop and a tv.. Seriously. This motherfucker better give some that money back to Florence victims. For all we know he couldve had his friends steal his shit...

17. Aerianne

There are 44 deaths attributed to Florence now.

South Carolina has sent out 8,000 brand new evacuation notices. That's how long it's taken this flood water to reach parts of the Pee Dee and Waccmaw Rivers.

In North Carolina, five river gauges were still at major flood stage and five others were at moderate flood stage, according to National Weather Service. The Cape Fear River was expected to crest and remain at flood stage through the early part of the week, and parts of Interstates 95 and 40 are expected to remain underwater for another week or more. Florence The Week After: Thousands Brace For More Flooding

Three wild horse herds have been accounted for but the 4th has not. These herds live on the outer banks and barrier islands of North Carolina. These horses have been there for 5,000 years, they say.

[​IMG]

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

wow, I didnt know that about the horses. Id seen them once --------years ago, but thought nothing of it other than an isolated tourist attraction .

19. Aerianne

If I had a bucket list, seeing these wild horses would be on it.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

the only vacation I had with my bother and his wife the time. went to the obs.. me with my youngest now mother. good memories that vanished like sands.