Humility

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Karen_J, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think sometimes that to some humility or modesty equates with weakness. But I dont think thats so. If someone has an idea of themself as more "all knowing" than they actually are, it just makes them seem silly or even pompous.

Respect is good, and maybe it is easier to respect those who are modest than the over bearing.

Another thing is that humility neednt mean a lack of assertiveness. It more a question of having these different qualities in balance. Then one can be modest when that is required, or assertive as called for by circumstances.

2. childofdelight

childofdelight Member

A wise--er--foolish man once said: "A foolish man believes himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be foolish." =P

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty.

He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.

Knowing others is wisdom. Knowing the self is enlightenment.

Mastering others requires force. Mastering the self needs strength. ~ Lao Tzu

I still consider Myself to be an idealist, and balance is definitely an ideal that I continue to strive for.

3. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

That's the person I see.

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

It's just a joke based on the notion that northern Europeans are depressed because they get so little sun most of the year. :p
    Y'alls chromatically deprived :sunny:

5. Watcher

Watcher Member

I remember humility, my friend. It was part of the greater value of integrity, which is also largely forgotten. I always like your posts.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Makes sense why I didn't get it then. Netherlands are not that far north or sun deprived :2thumbsup:

7. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Humility is knowing there's power and integrity and dignity within and doesn't require periods of proof, or showy displays. It's also a deep sincere ability for compassion that naturally leads to good listening.

8. Gongshaman

wiki;
    An estimated 10% of the population in the Netherlands suffer from SAD. :2thumbsup:

9. Asmodean

Hmm not sure if that would make them more humble at all :D Only in winter I guess? And how would those statistics compare to populations in the states bordering Canada for example? Not sure if we stick out in this then either! But regarding to my post that caused you to make a connection between humility and winter depression I did not only ment the Netherlands, also southern european countries ;) Even outside Europe. I don't recognize the absence of humility in present day as stated in the original post. So although I ment it tongue in cheek it COULD actually be an american problem.

10. Asmodean

It is laughable how some people can't take any criticism on their superb nation, even when it is tongue in cheek, but deal out the most ignorant stereotypes in serousness about the rest of the world :p

11. Gongshaman

Let it go Asmo, it's not that big of a deal.

We get it, you're a dutch kid that likes criticizing Americans, so whats new?

12. Asmodean

It is not a big deal but that doesn't make it unworthy of mentioning. If people deal out they should also be able to take a joke and also serious criticism about their nations flaws as well. It's not like because I mention a stereotype I project them on all of you (often the replies seem to indicate they take it personal) ;)

13. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well I am eating a major slice of Humble Pie right now as a N.Y. Giants football fan. The team is winless.

Giant fans are used to preening and strutting, bragging about the team's recent success in two superbowl wins. Fate has come around, we are at the bottom.

Sports can be a good metaphor for life. Success can be transient.

:pie:

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Being a Giants fan is an excellent exercise in humility! :D

I feel your pain, because of the recent Saints loss. :bigcry: That was a hard way to end a winning streak.

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Being a Ducks fan causes me to lose any sense of humility, 'cuz it makes me A WINNER!!

JK. Humility, to me, is when one realizes that to take oneself too seriously is to preclude much further learning about oneself and his/her fellow humans and their knowledge/experiences. i have learned something from everyone that I have met, good , bad, or indifferent. Good examples are found on these forums, particularly the political.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.