Humility

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Karen_J, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. childofdelight

childofdelight Member

So, instead of ignoring Me, you had to be unnecessarily rude--in public?

To be completely honest, the course of our discussion indicates, to Me, that you aren't quite as humble as you claim to be.

With that said: it's all good.

2. roamy

roamy Senior Member

humility is the opposite of arrogance

3. childofdelight

childofdelight Member

What, then, is arrogance?

4. roamy

roamy Senior Member

its just a stupid thing

5. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

No one listens intently . They just want to talk about themselves again. Its ego pure and simple. Being raised in a family that are arrogant and condescending ive spent a lifetime unlearning that shit. Most people dont even recognize humility. They'ld have to actually have to think you more important than themself.

6. childofdelight

childofdelight Member

Some of the strongest people whom I have known were the kind of people who rarely put themselves first.

I can only do so much right now, but eventually, My selfishness will allow Me to obtain a position where I am able to help more people.

Incidentally, I have another question: is it possible to remain humble while firmly maintaining boundaries that are both reasonable and fair?

7. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I dont see how you could either recognize or maintain such boundaries without at least a pinch of modesty. At least to the extent of being informed of other points of view than ones own, which means being ready at least to listen.

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Hmmm, I noticed something peculiar, at least to me, as I read through the responses;
    everyone gauges their respective degrees of humility relative to other people.
    That strikes me as odd, but I'm probably the odd one here.

When dealing with other people, the attitude of mutual respect for the different life experiences we have both had is more of what my "perception" is focused on.
    A person can be very certain and confidant in their ideas, opinions, attitudes without being arrogant or lacking humility.

For me when I experience my deepest and most profound sense of humility is when I am alone looking at the stars or marveling at the intricate lines of a flower petal, or remembering the birth of my daughters, THOSE are the moments that really show me where I stand and fill me with a sense of awe and humility that no interactions with other people could ever evoke.

Going hand in hand with an apparent lack of a sense of humility prevalent in the world today is the lack of a sense of gratitude.

But then again, I evaluate these traits relative to myself against the backdrop of all of everything, I don't limit it to just human interactions.

humans are so myopic.

9. odonII

odonII O

It wasn't that rude. It was just a comment that sprang from...well, not worth going into, really.

Ditto.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Since I see humble people all the time I guess this is a thread for mainly americans? I don't remember americans being known for acting humble ever. Perhaps you mean those pilgrims giving thanks in the 17th century? :D

11. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Now you're just being mean. lol

12. Asmodean

Yes but just for the lols naturally ;) :cheers2:

13. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

In your country, I think you're mistaking being humble with depression...:D

14. Asmodean

I don't get that joke when it comes in the present day from an american :p Since I don't think they are doing much better economically.

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

What do you see in the mirror?

16. Asmodean

I know that what we are does not always matches perception. You?

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm just trying to do my best.

18. Asmodean

You see that in the mirror?

19. childofdelight

childofdelight Member

Yes, patience is an important factor in that equation as well; respect is another really important element--in general.

20. childofdelight

childofdelight Member

So, since you could've been much more rude, it should just be okay? Whatever.

Seriously? I thought aloud, and then you jumped down My throat for it--twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.