Human Sacrifice In Europe

Discussion in 'History' started by Motion, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Found this interesting. When most people think of human sacrifice being practice they usually don't think of it happening among Europeans. But some ancient cultures practiced this in some form it seems.

"The Celts were big fans of skulls, Voigt notes in a chapter of the bookSacred Killing: The Archaeology of Sacrifice in the Ancient Near East, edited by Anne Porter and Glenn Schwartz.

The Romans noted they collected heads of enemies to hang from their horses, and they sacrificed criminals and captured enemies, using their death throes to foretell the future. "The heads of those enemies that were held in high esteem they would embalm in cedar oil and display them to their guests, and they would not think of having them ransomed even for an equal weight of gold," wrote the ancient Greek historian, Strabo."

Celtic sacrifices confirmed at famed ancient site

2. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bog Bodies in Celtic Europe.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I take their skulls to my shrine where silent Gods stand guard. Soak them in blood and in wine, a sacrificial ritual. One thousand heads are on display collected through years of thirst, macabre trophies of my prey picked clean of flesh by Oden's birds.

I am a wolf in human shape, every man is prey, a predator with flaming rage, blood is in my trace.

I will die with sword in hand and then my seat is secured, when Oden call from the golden halls he will greet me at the door.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Why is this news to you... Everybody knows this.

Irminsul likes this.
  5. Motion

Motion Senior Member

So if I walked into a grocery store and asked the first 50 adults about the practice of human sacrifice among the ancient Celts all 50 would know about the subject?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  6. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Don't even watch TV & I know this. Also know it's a highly debatable subject as to wether the head huntin' stories were true or primarily a form of propaganda designed by the Romans to dehumanize the Celts

McFuddy likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Pfff, Romans. Couldn't even defeat us with their fancy high tech weapons. Automatic missile firing bombardments, lost to a culture that used sticks and stones, and marched under the Irminsul! Blood eagle em!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like a good way to get locked up...

beachbum86 and Running Horse like this.
  10. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Ain't that the truth.

@Irminsul damn fine choice.

Irminsul likes this.
  11. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

wonder if there was ever a deity sitting there going 'Dammit! I said virginity! not virgins!! Sacrifice virginity for the weather and good harvest! Enemy prisoners are for combat prowess!! Damn humans.. can't get shit right.. ugggh.'

Orison, Running Horse and Irminsul like this.
  12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I think it's odd that the Romans had such a cow about Celtic human sacrifice and head-hunting when they regularly had people kill each other or be eaten by wild animals in the arena for sport. At least the Celts had a spiritual purpose for their blood letting.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You’re right, Gods should be more specific.

Genesis 22:2

Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering."

14. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

see! that's a hell of a lot more specific than a flock birds and a cloud that looks like a drunkenly amorous porcupine!

hotwater likes this.
  15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Also proofs that Middle-Earth used to be really on earth.

16. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Irminsul likes this.