HPV Is Giving Men Oral Cancer

Discussion in 'Sexual Health' started by Aerianne, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

“HPV vaccination is the only reliable method to ensure immune protection against new HPV infections and subsequent disease in males,”

tumbling.dice likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

the power of craigslist.

4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

This happened to a friend of mine about 2 years ago. Luckily, he responded well to treatment and is in remission today.

Aerianne likes this.
  5. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

In women too. Throat and cervical cancer rates.

Aerianne likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Could it be the men aren't performing oral sex to the woman standard and then being poisoned???

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So what's going on, is HPV more prevalent or is oral sex more common?

Wait, does this mean men didnt give oral sex back in the day?

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

In all the old movies and shows about the old times they just climb on top like the common Neanderthal. I'm thinking that's a big fat NO. although, we do take much more care of ourselves these days so it would be pleasant.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No, as usual, Correlation does not imply causation

Two things from the article, From the article:

The article is the usual message to the masses, which by context isnt actually correct. A virus doesnt cause cancer

Nobody still has any clue what causes cancer, because it seems the cause is there is no cause - in that, random mutations seem to be bigger factors than genes or environment, nature and nuture, this was discovered a few years ago in a big cross study

Males get these cancers 4 times the rate of women, because their immune systems dont cope as well at varying stages in certain parts of the body, not directly because of a virus

Alcohol and tobacco use certainly havent decreased in all parts of the world over the last 30 years, non-hpv types of these cancers should match up with use of these two substances if it were that simple. And alcoholics usually die earlier from other things thus taking them out of any over 60 yr old data sets

HPV is a factor, but saying 300 % in 20 years because of HPV is pure bullshit

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

craigslist has been around since 1995. Do the math bro.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I remember reading a book written by a prominent immunologist a few years ago who spent a few chapters explaining why a virus cannot cause cancer

Then the gardisil vaccine came out and I found it all somewhat confusing because he made a pretty good case. But i've never bothered to research why HPV is linked to cancer to be honest, so I wont pretend like I know what I'm talking about

I guess I should look into it

12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I am a bit rusty one this as it was covered in med school while I was attending. It has been a few years ago and it wasn't something I needed to retain for my chosen medical field.

It was first thought that the HPV virus simply cleared itself from the body like a cold. And it was suggested that 70% of the sexually active population had contracted and cleared it. But then some people couldn't clear it while others could. Then they found in many cases that men become carriers of it for years, and don't even know they have it. Whereas women showed it during PAP exams as an irregular response and it later cleared in a repeated PAP given weeks later. It never manifested itself externally in men and there was no screening to detect it in men. It stayed in their systems.

It appears to be accepted that it is a contact area response that was initially limited to the cause for genital warts. But then research seemed to suggest that it clung to the walls of the throat and vagina etc in folds and ridges where secretions supported its favorable proliferation. It did runs its viral course for most, and was thought to be over. Now it seems to be suggested that those same areas where it clung, are the same areas that later develop cancer cells. Genetic results showed that HPV strands were found in the vaginas throats etc locations of those that got cancer. There is no link that I was ever made aware of that explained why some got it and others didn't, much like they can't explain why some are more resistant to cancer while others more prone. But it does appear to be a genetic modifier that was created by the initial "viral" contact process. Just like cigarette smoke altered lung surfaces, to be genetically modified by attacking cancerous cells. Or the same idea that Chicken Pox leaves you with the Shingles virus that manifest later.

It was also suggested that the uptick in cancer outcomes could also be attributed to the notion that sexual partners consider oral sex as safe sex, therefore assuming that they wouldn't contract an STD if they proliferated oral sex and avoided traditional forms of sex. More oral sex, more opportunity for introduction of the HPV virus through that pathway. I often wondered how women rationalized that if you think your partner needed a condom for traditional prevention of STD exposure for intercourse, what they thought happened to the same STD viruses when they performed oral sex unprotected. But that was a mood killer and wasn't a popular discussion.

In short what they thought was a simple innocuous by product of sex, turned out to be underestimated. The vaccine will be a godsend to young girls to ward it off. As it does seem certain that you have a 70% chance of catching it if you participate in casual sex if not vaccinated.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

HPV and Cancer

Still comes down to those mutations happening in the first place, a less than average immune system, resistance of the virus.

They are 224 strains of HPV, gardasil will likely be useless in 30 years

14. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

The article doesn't say, but have men, ever, on a large scale, been vaccinated for HPV?

Also, this is the first I'm hearing about how happy a woman Catherine Zeta-Jones is. Had no idea that's how Michael Douglas got cancer.

15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

There hasn't been a vaccine until recently. But yes now men can be vaccinated. It is suggested that your boys get it before they become active. 11ish.

I am not aware of anything that will kill it once there.

Yep Michael Douglas is a great example of how it becomes more well known.