Howl

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by WoodstockChild, Aug 5, 2007.

1. opel diamond

opel diamond burn out

i got bought HOWL by a friend, was a very good present. Its an amazing piece.

2. waukegan

waukegan Member

that guy could really write.i've read "howl" and "kaddish"very visual poetry.a person hearing these poems or reading them .sees things.visions for america and the world?

3. wobblies

wobblies Member

The "far out man I'm a beatnik" is no different than "far out I'm a hippie." The so-called Beat Generation (or Beat scene or the pejorative beatnik) was a group of friends -- artists, poets, everything -- with similar ideas on consciousness and arts... "Beatnik" is just the media stereotype to remind the populous of Sputnik. After all, anyone that's different is clearly a commie. ;)

Ginsberg is hands-down my favorite poet. As a notable figure in counterculture throughout the 50's all the way to his death ('97, I believe), his influence is profound and one can only wonder what the world would be like without him. "Howl" and "Kaddish" are considered his finest works, and I must agree with the statements of their greatness.

I'm also a big fan of "Who Be Kind To?", "Song", "Sunflower Sutra," "September at Jessore Road," and many others... I could go on for hours, haha.

4. cosmic jackie

cosmic jackie Member

I got the like complete collected poems of ginsberg for christmas, and i read from it almost every night. he's been my favorite poet for a while now, but there is just so much of his work i never read before. i highly recommend getting this book, and just flipping it open to a random page to read; especially if you are feeling sad or confused or just in a weird mood, i know for a fact it always makes me feel better and more content with the world after reading some beautiful poetry :)
    does anybody read longfellow? they are not at all alike in their style of poetry, but i'm just putting that name out there, because i fell in love with him too. 'the day is done' will just make your heart feel so light it could float away

5. waukegan

waukegan Member

i've read "song of hiawatha".i have a few of his shorter poems.one of them is "the day is done"..............."such songs have power to quiet..the restless pulse of care..and comes like the benediction..that follows after prayer"........for some reason that made me think of edgar guest's poetry..........edit : i found the guest poem i was probably thinking of it's called "when day is done" it's about how happy he was coming home from work to his family....i reread ginsberg's "america" today.great poem.i think it might be from howl.

6. GregTheMagician

GregTheMagician Senior Member

ginsberg is amazing.
    i remember the first time i read that poem, i was like a sophmore in high school. and i liked it, but it didnt really set me on fire untill i read it again like two years later :D