How you started?

Discussion in 'Nudism, Naturism' started by atlpr, May 5, 2009.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't mind being nude or anything especially in my house or backyard as we are like 90% hidden from neighbors but I wouldn't call it a way of life for me or a religion or anything.

How it all started though? That's easy. I took my clothes off. :)

2. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I would have to say my nudity was a gradual thing. The more independence I got, the more I was able to be nude.

When I still lived with my parents I only slept nude. I didn't think it would be something thy were comfortable with, but no one was going to be barging into my room while I was asleep. I then started occasionally doing things in my room naked with the door closed. It wasn't until I moved out that I started being nude around the aparent sometimes. I had some pretty cool roommates who didn't care much. I wrapped a bed sheet around myself in the living room if other people were around but that was it. Now my boyfriend and I share a house with another couple and I have the entire upstairs as my domain and I never wear clothes up there!

I am still trying to find places to be nude outdoors though. Perhaps some day when I have my own house with a yard I will do it!

Scarecrow13 and bill697cu like this.
  3. Gerald

Gerald Member

[SIZE=10pt]A few years ago I wrote an article for a defunct naturist NZ newsletter on this topic. I began: Your article in the last "Buffy’s Beaches" on nudity at Nambassa prompted me to write of my experiences in that era and a little before, and relate it to today’s attitudes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]In the 1930s there was a fashion of naked tramping which owed itself to the German FKK movement. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10pt]My parents weren’t part of this, but they were great trampers with a great love of the New Zealand outdoors. A highlight of a tramp in the late 1940s-early 1950s for them, and their party, was to find a hot pool. Togs were not worn. The naked bathing was, however, segregated .[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]In fact when I was younger the public hot pools at Hamner and Rotorua had compulsory naked but segregated swimming. There was no option of wearing togs. The claimed reason for this was that the hot mineral water would destroy clothing. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I can recall my mother on one hot Canterbury day when we were out for a day in the country to picnic in the course of the Waimakariri River ("the Waimak" as we called it) swimming naked in warm backwater. My father’s protestations were more about "the children" seeing rather than anyone else.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]There is nothing new about nude swimming and bathing. If one inspects documents from World War One you will find photographs of soldiers swimming and bathing at Gallipoli and under fire as well. Another book I have is of life at Trentham Military Camp in 1917 which includes clear photographs of naked recruits bathing in the Hutt River. I can recall my grandfather, telling me, of the naked swimming at Taylor’s Mistake (Christchurch ) during World War One when the area was under military control. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Nudity at Nambassa is a different phenomena being very much part of the youth rebellion of the time. Though Nambassa type alternative festivals seem to died in New Zealand, its counter-part in Australia, the Down to Earth festival, with its nudity, is still going strong. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Our flatmate of the time attended the Nambassa festivals in 1980 and 1981. Such was the tolerance of nudity that she was able to be naked for most of the time, with a group of young people who also spent the festival naked, not just lying listening to music but walking about. She described the freedom of being naked in a group as fantastic.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]A widespread belief of the time amongst young people was that clothes hindered communication, that going without was natural, and that nudity was fun. It was contended that the reason for nudity was not for any purpose other than appreciation of each other and so cannot be described as exhibitionism. So group nudity was a means of expression, a way to loose inhibitions and see how God created all humans beautiful. It was very much part of the questioning of the time. Nudity was hip (to use an expression from the era), and clothes so irrelevant. Peace and freedom were the catch crys and for many freedom included the freedom to feel the sun on your natural naked body, anywhere. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]About that time I attended several political conferences. The first had an encounter session, clothed, in which we were paired and each participant explored the body of the other with their hands. And then there was skinny dipping, which always seemed to happen as if it was part of the proceedings. A conference north of Wellington was no exception : an exceptionally hot day led a number to head to a nearby beach. It was just accepted that those who went in swimming did so without wearing[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] anything. Mind you it did help that no one had any swimming gear. And that those who organised it were going to go in swimming naked anyway. No was not in their vocabulary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Spencer Park, in north Christchurch, was somewhere to go to escape my university studies on a weekday and get naked as well. This is where it all began for me. It seemed so daring, that is the naked bit. The endless sand dunes, rows of pine trees and solitude provided the perfect environment. I would hike miles through the sand dunes without a stitch of clothing on. Being rather more than a little bit drunk was of great assistance. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Unbeknown to me this area did have a history of naturism : a group of male nudists spent all the weekend in summer here and had been coming together for a number of years. Their practice was also to hike about and not stay in one spot. I gather this still occurs today. I recall meeting them on a typically hot Canterbury day around 1983, some years after I had left Christchurch. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]In the late 1980s there were friends of mine who went about naked in their house or flat as the case was. This was not a statement but something considered no big deal. It was no secret, so if you were billeted with them you would expect to see them naked, not from time to time, but commonly, most certainly first thing in the morning. To the shower, from the shower, grabbing a cup of coffee and so forth. And on a hot evening as well. And sunbathing in the yard in the day. By the same token they would throw on their clothes as much as they threw them off. They would think nothing of skinny dipping at a beach then sunbathing. By themselves or with friends in swimming costumes. It was just accepted that if you went to the beach with them they would be naked. We were, however, all assumed to be nude friendly - though with myself it was more than that - probably because we never made an issue of it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The popularity of Breaker Bay in Wellington has had its up and downs but depends more on the nature of the Wellington summer. In recent times it has been popular with young people in late summer, particularly when university is about to resume. Nudity there is more of a guy thing, so it not unusual for males in a group to be naked, and their women friends to be in a swimming costumes. By the way there is nothing like meeting a friend or acquaintance naked who you didn’t know was a naturist beforehand. On one occasion I came across two former workmates. Talk about a small world.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Yet there is an apparent decline in numbers of naturists, but it perhaps is not that real. There have been a number of events involving public nudity such as the National Penis Day in 2003 which involved a large group of naked university students in Cathedral Square in Christchurch. Then there is the Auckland University Drinking Club which holds regular drinking competitions through the year : one event of which is a staged naked and there even are photographs of the naked male participants posted its website. In my day student nudity was confined to either streaking or someone running naked at the Capping drinking contest.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Another event associated with students in the naked party. This had its origins in the United States and from time to time one hears of such parties here. I went to one held in Miramar several years ago : it was just like any party except we were all naked and in a further difference there was a guest speaker who spoke on massage techniques. He had to be naturist friendly, but elected to be naked as well. Then there was the case of someone I met at Breaker Bay who went all the way at a party and was one of a handful of people naked. Now that is courageous. These examples illustrate the point that there is a greater acceptance of nudity today, even though not as many are involved in the actual naturist scene. [/SIZE]

4. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

I went to a remote area of the backyard and removed my clothes 37 years ago.

5. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

If I went around naked as a kid, my father would have beat me with a leather belt.

6. nakedrhode

nakedrhode Member

I started young , according to my mother. The minute I learnt how to undress myself I did and eventually they gave up trying to keep me clothed As I got older they insisted I was clothed if we had visitors or going out . I have always been more comfortable naked than clothed so spend as much time naked as I can .

7. JammerJames

JammerJames Guest

I started as a teenage when I went to stay with my distant relatives in eastern Europe. They often did nude swimming and saunas.
    I came back to the States with a new hobby.

Joshua Van likes this.
  8. Biggles_Nude!

Biggles_Nude! Hakuna matata.

My beginnings as a naturist/nudist were unorthodox. In my primary school years, aged around 7, my first instinct coming home was to fling all my clothes off and run around the backyard, ride my bike, the skateboard or play frisbee with the dog. My folks frowned upon this, but as it was persistent behaviour, there was no point in trying to stop it. Pyjamas went out not long after and I began sleeping nude. At the beach, I preferred swimming nude, and later surfed nude at the clothing optional beach. This is, of course, decades ago. In the summer here, I occasionally see our neighbour's kids (Singaporean by birth) nudied up and trampolining, playing with the hose on the front lawn, in full view of the street. I wan't like that, it was backyard stuff for me. In my 20s I had a friend on the outskirts of the city who was wanted to experiment with going nude too. That was easy enough: we went for long nude walks at night in the bush surrounding his some, and even rode out to a reservoir in the inky blackness of night, just for a bit of a dare — it was liberating, but learning to sit naked on a narrow bike seat was akin to riding a bar of soap! At the time there was also a local swimming pool that offered nude swim nights once a month; we enrolled in this but it was cut short by my allergy to chlorine. Age brings many changes of thinking: I wouldn't do much of this derring-do stuff now, but I remain a dyed-in-the-wool nudist around home and my working (photography) environment and anywhere I can go camping au naturel.

swimguy likes this.
  9. CyclingNaturally

CyclingNaturally Members

When I was 5, I loved to be naked, but I grew up in a household where you wore clothes all the time unless you were in the shower, so that is what I did, but I didn't want to.

When I was 13, I met a new kid in the neighborhood, and his family were semi-nudists around the house. I remember we had a sleepover and I saw his entire family naked the next morning, walking to and from the shower, getting dressed with bedroom doors open, etc. I was mortified, to say the least. I saw my friend's 12yo sister topless and I thought I was going straight to the place underground you don't want to go. But I slept over again the next night, and I wasn't as mortified the next day, but I also tried very hard to not look at anyone, either.

My friend moved away shortly after he moved in, and we kept in contact via the phone (this was in the 80s or so), and long, long bike rides to each other's houses, but no overnights.

When I was 15, he came to stay at my house because his dad forgot about him, so he never picked him up. My friend slept naked. Again, I was mortified. The next morning, my sister saw him naked. I was mortified. He ended up staying over the next night, and he dared me to sleep naked. I did. It was amazing. My sister saw us both naked the next morning, and it wasn't bothersome at all.

I have slept naked every night ever since. Even if we are sharing a space such as a hotel or staying at someone's house, I walk around in underwear just before bed and take them off under the covers. It's been a solid almost-30 years of sleeping naked every single night.

Of course this led to being more naked when no one was home growing up. I have skinny dipped many times (even though I have always been the only one skinny dipping, unfortunately), and nude constantly when I was single and before kids. I have been naked around our kids casual such as just after a shower, changing at a hotel, etc, but not very much, and not blatantly. After showing my wife some threads on this site, she has just today encouraged me to be naked like I used to be. I guess I have to see how serious she is, because I have no issue being naked 100% of the time, even if people are over to visit, ha!

Never been to a nudist beach. Never been nude when others are naked. I hope that changes some day!

bill697cu likes this.
  10. bill697cu

bill697cu Members

I slept nude even while growing up at home. I would go naked around the house if home alone and loved it. I got my first apartment and was nude all the time. I was on the 3rd floor and would sit on my balcony and have morning coffee nude. I got married but wife not into being nude and complains about my nudity at times. I still sleep nude year round as I always have. I hope to find others to be nude with locally someday.

noodist_jen likes this.
  11. Nudist Always

Nudist Always Members

I think I started around 12, when I had an impulse to sleep naked. I recall it feeling strange and not getting much sleep, but it was still exciting and fun. The next time I slept much better, and have always slept more comfortably nude since then. This led to a lot of fun adventures sneaking around secretly naked since my family was very much non-nudist. Basically, once puberty hit, I’ve always felt compelled to remove my clothes and to push my limits with regards to nudity.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    bill697cu likes this.
  12. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

Started sleeping nude around the age of 15. PJ's would pinch me in the important areas so I discarded them. Imagine my fathers surprise when one morning he reached under the covers to wake me and found more than he bargained for. Nothing was said at the time but later that evening my parents and I had a talk. I was allowed to express my feelings and also allowed to continue as long as I didn't flaunt it around the house. I haven't wore clothing to bed ever since and am nude as often as I can be sometimes all day long.

13. NudistAtNight

NudistAtNight Members

I started sleeping naked in middle school, that eventually led to me getting naked whenever I was home alone and eventually I stepped outside at night and walked around our yard completely naked. I did it semi regularly for as long as I lived with my parents.

bill697cu likes this.
  14. NudeDavid19

NudeDavid19 Banned

My family is regularly nude at home, and me and my sibs started after we were potty-trained and didn’t need diapers anymore. :)

joker69 likes this.
  15. NakedInfluence

NakedInfluence Member

I was 14 and staying at a friend's house. He led me to the bathroom stripped and got in the shower. I was not expecting that. He seemed so natural and just kept talking to me making no attempt to hide anything. Soon I realised my turn to shower was fast approaching. I was nervous but excited at the same time. I had to decide to go ahead and strip off like my friend did and act natural or tell him to turn around or leave the room. I chose to carpe diem and did it. It was exhilarating and I've been a nudist ever since.

joker69 and bill697cu like this.
  16. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

I had been interested for a while but I guess I started by going streaking in the middle of the night when I was 17. But that turned out to be too risky so I just started going around my house nude when no one else was home.

17. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

I wish my experience was more like that. Well it kind of was with my sister, but nor my parents.

18. Fat Boy

Fat Boy Members

I was about 9-10. My cousin an I went to church with our grandparents. After church we went to their farm outside of town so they can work the garden. Grandma told us not to our clothes dirty. So she told us to take our clothes off and go play in the creek. And we did. First time skinny dipping. That was a great day. I love good memories.

joker69 likes this.
  19. The Shark

The Shark Members

When I was 11 or 12 I started going nude around the house when nobody else was home. My parents weren't the type who would let me just go nude at any time, so I had to sneak around when they were gone. I would also take off my clothes in bed after I had gone under the covers. My parents would sleep nude every now and then, looked like fun to me.

20. NudeMTB

NudeMTB Senior Member

I did a streak in high school for a dare and got hooked on the buzz it gave me. After that I got naked at home when my folks were out at work as often as I could and if they were home I would go out walking naked somewhere quiet....at first at night but soon after tried it during the day. That was it for me.....still naked as often as possible over 20 years later lol..... :)

Joshua Van and Scarecrow13 like this.