How You Started Going Barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by JerseyBoy94, Apr 18, 2019.

1. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

I was a foot shy kid in my childhood and teen years, so those shoes and socks stayed on for quite a long while for me. In my mid-20's, however, I discovered I had a fungal infection in my toenails, no doubt a consequence of my past life of extensive foot wear usage. I started experimenting with barefooting as a cure. Doing it just during the summers didn't quite cut it, so eventually I went full snow walking. 5 minutes of deliberate snow baths for my bare feet every day, in weather as cold as -10 C (=14 Fah) even, while simultaneously keeping said nails clipped as short as possible to reduce the infected area.

It worked. Come next April, my toenails had returned to a healthy, pearly white color again, and the brittleness and cheesy stink all but gone after what must've been years of suffering from them. So I'm a full barefoot convert now. Not only did it cure my infected toenails, but winter walks on snow have also boosted my immune system somewhat to a point, where flu now affects me less compared to old times. Of course, I have no clinical studies to prove this with, but it's how the experience has been for me. I'd say there's something to the claimed health benefits.

BarefootedBoy and GLENGLEN like this.
  2. psychologykate

psychologykate Members

I have a generalised anxiety disorder and was seeing a therapist who asked if I'd ever tried grounding. He suggested that during a panic attack I take off my shoes and socks and be in contact with the earth. I thought it was nonsense. During a session, I was getting anxious and he told me to take my shoes off and sit with my feet on the floor and focus on the way the carpet felt. It helped a little and he encouraged me to try the technique more often and also to try grounding. It took me a while before I was actually willing to go outside in bare feet but once I did, and once I felt the difference it made, I was converted.

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  3. Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Rick I love my dirty bare feet

I started going barefoot when i was 10 years old me and two of my friends would go barefoot every summer. And at the end of the school year one year my friend's and i went to school in flip/flops and i took my flip/flops off as soon as i got to school and so did my two friend's did the same . We where the only 3 guy's barefoot but we saw a lot of girls going barefoot in school. And when it was time for school to end that day we just went for a half day to school. My friends and i walk home barefoot. But before we got all the way home i was the only one barefoot my friends had put their flip/flops on the bottoms of there bare feet where hurting them .Not me that's when i started going barefoot even more and at one of my friends house you had to take off your shoes. Me the bottoms where dirty so his home would make me wash my bare feet. They had white carpet so that's why you had to take off your shoes. But ever since then i started going barefoot then when i turned 13 i started going barefoot in the winter and even then i lifted Weights. Keep barefooting

goodearth, GLENGLEN and BarefootedBoy like this.
  4. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

I grew up in the 60s and all the kids went barefoot. We'd put on tennys if we were taking a long hike, though. Anybody who wore flip-flops was considered strange.

5. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

I was converted from the first time, and I cannot imagine going back!

6. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

It does sound like nonsense, it really does but It helps tremendously. You would think that during anxiety the last thing you would want to do is take your shoes off and maybe make it worse. Maybe this is over analysis but I think the reason it helps me is when I am going barefoot a bit of my mind is busy with watching my step and how the ground feels that I don't get stuck in negative feedback thinking loops and I am less likely to feel anxious or depressed about something.

The only reason I used to get anxiety attacks was fear of the next one would cause the next one when it felt like it might be happening again.

The worst thing during an anxiety attack was when people would ask "did you try taking some deep breaths?" Ya, and that never works ! You got lucky with the barefoot suggestion.

7. Antony14

Antony14 Members

Great! Unfortunately our school was different. But I often tried to slip shoes off under table

8. barefootPatrick

barefootPatrick Members

This is so true. I’ve been barefoot my whole life and my calves, ankles and feet are strong. I am very maneuverable and able to climb without a problem. The tendons and veins pop out on the top of my feet. I do workout and throw calf raises in with my routines, which helps also.