How you came to taoism?

Discussion in 'Taoism' started by zenbatty, Oct 20, 2010.

1. zenbatty

zenbatty Member

Hey guys I love the tao and I have a pretty kewl story of how I came to it. Does anyone else have any good stories??

So I was living with a bunch of hippies after I jumped on a bus and moved out to tennessee the first time.

the night before we all took a bunch of acid, well I'm a very spiritual person and decided to go on a vision quest and decided to walk about 4 hours to and up a mountain from my house. On the way I passed a little sports store and decided to go in, yes on acid. I dont know if that was a good idea thinking back to it but yeah. In the back corner of this store they had a small book shelf of different spiritual books I picked up the Tao recognizing it from somewhere and opened it and the words began illuminating. Needless to say I immediately started absorbing the wisdom in the book.

I then purchased the book and continued on my journey where I spent the afternoon up in the mountain praying and reading this fantastic book I just found.

I remember that day very well and think back to it often.

2. infinito

infinito Member

that's K⊕⊗∕!

3. CYMac

CYMac Banned

Started Taoism since 4, and worked as a Taoism master since 1996.. now is already over 15 yrs of being in the career, exorcism in Taoism is just magical and powerful!

4. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

I first came to taoism around 2 years ago. No great stories. I actually wound up stealin' the Tao Te Ching from a local library to sell it but in my curiosity I decided to read it and here I am now.

5. wuliheron

wuliheron Guest

I came to Taoism kicking and screaming and dragging my feet like most things in my life. One day a beautiful episcopal minister saw me wandering around a day center for the homeless offering to help people. She asked me why I was there and I just looked at her crosseyed. I had on three layers of cloths and smelled like three day old fish. Then she asked me what I believed in and when I told her "physics" she loaned me a copy of "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukov.

The physics I already knew, but the philosophy drove me crazy even though I already had an extensive knowledge of western philosophy. It took me another five years to realize it was Taoism in particular that interested me and another ten after that to make some sense of it all, but I've never looked back since.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i arrived at my own perceptions, in much the same way i believe lao tsu did:
    by subtracting everything that observably contradicted itself.

7. InfiniteOscillations

InfiniteOscillations Member

I came to learn about Taoism after being quite lost when it came to God and religion. I myself cannot claim I am Taoist but I know a fair amount about Taoism. I was learning a lot about eastern religion just because western religion wasn't giving me the "light" I felt I wanted. I am currently stuck learning about Buddhism now, and I like! Taoism and Buddhism go hand in hand quite nicely. I like a some from Tao and some Buddhism, I personally havn't found the things I don't like about either but I am sure there are something I will find to no agree with. Thanks!

8. salmon_999

salmon_999 Guest

Because Taoism doesn't define unspeakble.
    It's a wise way of thinking.

9. SabinaChrystalline

SabinaChrystalline Guest

I have practiced Taoism on and off for years, and my beliefs & principles match The Way, but am just now learning about it in more depth. I believe that if I am to believe in something, I must know why. I am doing a bit of reading, joining some forums, and such to get more information and learn from books and others. I have had a lot of instances in my life where Taoism has come into play and it has helped me through some great struggles I have had in my life. I look forward to evolving more and more....