How would you Write the Years 1-10?

Discussion in 'History' started by ProudAtheist32490, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ProudAtheist32490

ProudAtheist32490 Member

Ok, so I found this calendar website online. It pretty much has calendars for every year throughout history. Well, I found that it starts at "Year 1" and ends in the Year "3999". Well, I just want to know, like lets say, if you were in a classroom at that time period--and you had to write "The Date" on whatever that assignment is that you were working on. How would you write the date? For example, would you write lets say "Monday January 3, 0001"? Or "Monday January 6, 0010"- (as year 10)? Or would you just plain write "Monday, August 14, Year 2" if you were living in that time period? Or maybe would you have to write it as ("1 AD, 2 AD, 3 AD,4 AD....... 10 AD, etc.) Thanks, I hope someone understands kind of what it is I'm asking. Also, heres a link to that website that I'm talking about---I'll send the link for it starting at Year 1--thanks.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1&country=1

2. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Why would anyone write zeroes in front of the year number? Do you ever write 02013 or 002013?

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

gotta agree, i didnt read the article but if i am starting a calender im writing Jan. 1st 1

the 0001 makes sense now because we are between the 1st and 10th millenniums but that would look stupid for the first thousand years and even more stupid after the ten thousandth year.

4. odonII

odonII O

Where they using the same calendar 4000 years ago?

If so, I have no idea what I'd be writing the date as. maybe (living in the UK ): Saturday, 1, 1

It is very strange we perceive time since the so-called birth of Christ. As an atheist I reject it. Infact, I'm not using that calendar anymore.

5. Individual

Individual Senior Member

If we assume that humans will still be around in the year 9999, what would the following year be?

From my LibreOffice Calc:
    Friday, December 31, 9999
    Saturday, January 01, 10000

I've seen it written that Muhammed died on June 8, 632 NOT June 8, 0632.

6. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Leading zeroes are not significant figures unless they are to the right of the decimal point.

7. Individual

Individual Senior Member

1 AD/CE...9 AD/CE, 10 AD/CE...99 AD/CE, 100 AD/CE...999 AD/CE, 1000 AD/CE and so on.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

its not that hard to find historical examples of just that. but if you think about it a little bit, the first ten, even the first several hundred years of a new calander, people are still going to be using whatever dating system they had been using previously.

now there's a jewish calander that goes back 5000 some odd years and a chinese or asian one of some kind that goes back another thousand years earlier then that.

so what would have been the year nine, let us say, on this current a.d. calander, and the one that will replace has already started, getting close to 180 years ago now, so going back, in what to us, looking back would have been the year 9, to anyone living at the time, they would have been using a calander that was already arround 3000 years old at that time, so they would just have used the year according to that.

it wasn't until that conferance on what to recognize as belonging to christian cannon and what not, that this retro-dating, calling it year one and year nine and all that, and this big deliberation took place in what according to the calander we use now was around 300 and something, i forget the exact range of years, but it was in the latter half of the 300s. which up until that time, would have been considered the year 3000 and something.

and if you want to look at the beginnings of the REAL earliest calanders, well most people probably had no idea about the idea of them even for the first few hundred years of THEIR existence.

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I prefer BCE (before common/current era) and CE.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

no. they were using one at least 3000 years older.

11. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

As I recall the current dating system was invented by St Augustine of Hippo ... who lived in the 4th Century.

Ergo, in the first few years of the system, nobody was using it anyway ...