How would you react to an autistic child?

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by Dave_techie, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I would sign up for every early interevention program I could and would most likely be a bit heartbroken at first because i know the challenges that lie ahead.

2. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

Shouldn't be a teacher. :rolleyes:

3. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I know, believe me. She would constantly compare my twins, she never had a good word to say about him, but my daughter, oh, she was near perfect in her eyes. I think part of the problem was she just had no idea how to handle him. He's very strong willed, and if he doesn't want to do something, or if he wants something, it doesn't matter, he's going to do what he wants. My daughter is more of a people pleaser. ;)

Anyway, I felt it was extremely unfair the way she constantly compared the two of them, I spoke about it repeatedly with their pediatrician who told me you simply couldn't compare the two, girls are normally more advanced than boys, also, with them being premature, their emotional development was a little behind, which is the big reason why I opted to seperate them this upcoming school year. I want them to be reconized as individuals. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately the teacher last year could only focus on his weaknesses, never gave us even a shred of positive feedback.

But oh believe me, she got it at the end of the year. My husband attended a meeting with her and he had her so flustered she could barely speak. He didn't yell or carry on, but after listening to 15 minutes of nothing but degrading comments about our son, he demanded that she tell him ONE positive thing. She started stuttering, stammering, turned beat red. The guidance counselor spoke up and made some positive remarks, but the teacher still couldn't. She just sat there. So then my husband said he would tell her some positive things. ;)

And you know what? On the last report card, she actually wrote several positive things about our son, admitted that he had shown progress. I was shocked, because all year, nothing but negative. I think maybe what my husband said sunk in. I hope maybe it made her think more about how she dealt with parents who had children struggling with some difficulties. Maybe next time she has a student who is having problems, she'll think about how she approaches the situation, and offer them at least a little positive encouragement.

4. mutteredexpletives

mutteredexpletives Banned

Depends on the child.

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

And you fell in love all over again, huh? I know because I almost fell in love with him, just when you said that. How sweet. :)

6. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I did. :eek: I was so grateful that he stood up for our son like that because all year I had been dealing with so much crap from the teacher, I was just totally emotionally drained at that point. At my breaking point. So he stepped in and told me NOT to go to the meeting, that I had had enough that year and he was going to take care of it. And that he did.

7. simplistic

simplistic Member

Id tell the child they have done something bad and they deserve it. Then hand them a book about scientology.