How would you react to an autistic child?

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by Dave_techie, Aug 8, 2009.

1. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

lmfao! ZING!

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'd sex it up.

3. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

^^Your autistic child?

I've got a few friends and relatives with autistic children. They don't really act much different than the other kids they have, but they're all still young. My cousins son, though, he shows a lot of the characteristics. They don't really try to work with him, though. :( It's so sad because he is an amazing little boy. When he showers, he covers the drain with a rag because he likes the way the water feels on him, and it HAS to be extremely hot water....I can barely touch it with my hands. He uses a weighted blanket and things like that.

I don't know a whole lot about autism. But, from what I gather, it is hard and trying to have a child with it. I'm sure I'd react like any parent would, shocked at first. After the shock of it died away, I'd do my best to help my child out, just like I would do with a child that didn't have it.

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Autistic kids are adorable.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

my autistic child, my grandma, my neighbor's dog... i'm not picky. [​IMG]

6. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I thought I meant something to you, Mr. I'm-not-picky. :mad:

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

just because i'm not picky doesn't mean i have no preferences. you're my second favorite, after nana.

8. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I'm probably gonna sound heartless but the fact is I am way too sensitive and don't think I could deal with it.. I'd be too sad, too worried, scared.. I don't think I'd have the strength to be a good mother to an autistic child.

9. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

Poke it with a stick. Then give it up for adoption. My step father's sister's son is autistic. Hes a royal pain in the arse.

10. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I don't think it's heartless at all to want the best for your child, and I think that's exactly what you want. If you don't think you're capable of doing it yourself, you should find someone who can, so that your child can have the best life possible. I think I'd probably do the same, to be honest. Some people are absolutely amazing like daisymae, I'm not so sure I'd be so strong faced with the same situation. But who knows? It's not like it's something you plan for and I'm sure I'd handle it however I felt appropriate.

11. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

I think it's more a case of rising to the situation.

12. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i have a good friend who has one child that is for sure autistic. he's wonderful! i love playing with him because you can't play "normal" games.. one of his favorite things to do it to squeeze behind me on the couch. he then inspects my ears while i go very limp and squish him.

last i talked to her she said the doctors were trying to diagnosis all 3 of her boys with some form of autism. doesn't change how i feel about them.. fun kids.

13. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

kill it and have another child

i'm sure pavel already said this

14. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Well, being that I've had worries this past year that my younger son may have it (Aspergers's not full-blown Autism) obviously if my child has it, it won't change my love for him. Not one bit. He is who he is, regardless. I just want the best for him, I don't want him to have such a difficult time, last school year was absolutely horrific.

I must say, I have so much admiration and respect for daisymae. Months back I came to her because I knew she would be a good person to talk to, knowing that she has a child with Autism. I was at a point where I was overwhelmed, scared, looking to understand, and I needed someone who had been there, done that. She helped me a lot, and for that I thank her!

Now I still don't know for certain whether or not he does indeed have Asperger's. I've been trying to hold off on further evaluation until we see how this school year starts off. A lot of it is fear on my part. I'm afraid of having a diagnosis, afraid of, as daisymae said, that it would pigeonhole him. But if we have another repeat of this past year, it will most definitely be time to look further into things in order to help him, because otherwise, I don't know what we're going to do. But I'm trying to think positively. My son is a wonderful little boy, so full of love, he has so many wonderful qualities, sadly, he had a teacher last year who could only point out his faults. :(

15. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

exactly

16. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Aww :( I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope things get easier..

17. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Thanks Penny. I do too! :)

18. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

Frustration, hostility & intolerance.

19. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

Everyone thought I had autism because I didn't talk. Or some nonsense like that. I was just a little delayed growin up. But now I'm wittier than most(if not all) of my peers :cheers2:. But I'm definitely not sagacious. I'm slow when it comes to thinking of things and often don't pay attention to my surroundings...at all, which often leads to befuddlement.

20. ruski

ruski Senior Member

there are SO many things that can be wrong with your kid, so many things worse than autism, that autism really doesn't seem that bad to me. of course id never wish it on anyones kid but yeah, you deal with what life hands you.