How would Tony Soprano have handled prison?

Discussion in 'TV Dramas' started by Sinead 1965, May 12, 2019.

1. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Sopranos paved the way for what TV is today, with all the "binge watch" type series.

It'll always be my favorite. I can rewatch The Sopranos endlessly. Sopranos was written beautifully. In the last episode we learn that Tony is basically fucked, looking down the barrel of serious time and most of his crew are gone. How would he have fared in prison? Would it have been better if he were killed than going to jail? Assuming he didn’t die, how would he have handled prison? Would it be preferable to dying? I think he wouldn't do well inside at all. He found out through psychiatry that his thing with the ducks was he was afraid of losing his family. You pretty much lose your family when you go to prison.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't know. Was it an HBO show? I've never had cable if you can believe that...

I think most people would definitely prefer prison to death. I hope I never go there, personally.

Rahab likes this.
  3. quark

quark Parts Unknown

He would have resumed his studies and finished his degree in animal medicine.

McFuddy likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Probably would have had a panic attack in there so, not much to worry about.

McFuddy likes this.
  5. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

He had panic attacks for small things so imagine him in prison. Is it possible Tony Soprano could pay for protection? It depends how much he had to pay in fines and stuff during his trial. Either way its a much different enviorment where they wouldnt cater to him like his guys did. I think he would try to stand on his own two feet and not pay for protection. He would fight, but prison is a much different environment.

My friend a non-LCN Italian American spent 11 years in federal prison from 2006 until 2017. One year in MDC Brooklyn, 3 years in Big Sandy, 3 years in Hazelton, 4 years in Fort Dix nj. My friend says that in federal prisons Italian American mobsters are still respected and feared and other inmates prefer to be friend of mobsters. He says that Big Sandy did not have a large LCN population, so the mob guys he met were pretty low key, didn't look for trouble and were pretty much left alone but at Hazelton there was a larger LCN population with several lifers, and they were much more involved in prison politics. He says that in Hazelton mobsters protected him because he is Italian. He says that in Hazelton mobsters are the ones that offer protection to other people not the other way around. He says Fort Dix had all kinds of Italian American mobsters, wise guys, wanna-be's, and east coast type dudes. There are the New York guys, the New Jersey ones, and the Philly ones and they are running Fort Dix. My friend says there is no way someone’s going to rape a guy who they know is Made who they will get killed for? Sure it’s possible but status holds a lot of weight in prison. My friend says No Blood, Crip, Hispanic,Aryan gang member would even touch someone in La Cosa Nostra.

He says that it's always the weakest guys that get the worst treatment in prison and that If you're a well respected criminal on the outside, then chances are you'll be respected in prison. Mobsters are street guys, so other inmates aren't going to mess around with them . And definitely not if the mobster is a member of a powerful family. Tony Soprano is a Boss of a crime family. My friend says that the targets in prison are the most vulnerable people, the mobsters especially the New York ones still have much power outside prison. Also my friend says that Big Sandy did not have a large LCN population, so the mob guys he met were pretty low key but no one really messed with them and and that most inmates looked up to them like a kid looks up to a ball player and thinks "that's what I want to be" and that they were considered original gangsters by black inmates.

Also he says that blacks are extorting and bullying weak vulnerable unprotected white guys. My friend says that from what he saw in the places he was locked up in black prisoners are all about that rape shit or the consensual sex shit in between the black population and that most prison rapes in the places he was locked up in were committed by black men on white men. He says that in Hazelton all the DC Blacks gang members have their sissies/prison wives that they kick it with. I am not saying that it's like that all over United States I'm strictly speaking from what my friend saw in the places he was locked up in. Things could be different in other prisons..

Also Tony Soprano is tough, smart and manipulative. He would have survived prison. Tony is a huge sociopath. Sociopaths do well in prison. But he probably would hate it tho cause he’s so spoiled. He would definitely suffer deprived of his hedonistic way of live. Could Tony even handle the confinement? Being away from Meadow and AJ, grandkids?

Calmerchameleon likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ah well can't argue with that.

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Unpopular opinion: Tony was a good guy deep down and that's why the audience liked him. Even though he's a ruthless asshole we often see that he is the kinder one among his men. For example when Ralph killed the horse so Tony kills him. As he's chocking him he says something like "she was an Innocent animal". And the way he gets so attached to the ducks in his pool. Psychopaths don't usualy like animals. What does the animal offer them in their mind? It's just work and it's stupid. Tony fed ducks who just shit in his pool. My tender vegan heart noticed that.

He also tried to keep his kids away from it. AJ could walked right into the life and had respect maybe even be boss. Tony pushed him away from that. I think deep down he felt railed into the life and he had accepted what he had to be to make it in that world. His father gave him no choice.

He's still someone who did terrible things. A person who lies and manipulates. But I see him as too human to be a true villain. Ralph was a villain for example. He beat a stripper to death when she said she was having his kid. He burned a horse alive for money.

Tony in prison would be very sad but respected. He would have nothing left to live for. His kids probably will never come see him, his ex-wife no way. All he would have is made guys asking him for favors. Will he bless this or that or can we tell them Tony says this. It's not a fun life.

Same thing happened to Johnny Sack. He saw the mob moved on and all he was good for was a blessing. Many people think Tony was killed in the last scene that is why it's black. I think they just wanted to leave it open. Like we know Tony is going away and he knows his role now. We end the show there before our hero dies.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Eric! likes this.
  8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Tony Soprano’s abusive mother Livia would probably say “ I told you you’d eventually end up in prison you bum”

9. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Lol!