How well do you take care of your skin?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by noela, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

great advice!

2. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

I don't use anything on my skin. I used to be crazy about hygiene, so I'd lather up and exfoliate every day, and once I got out of the shower I'd use oils and tanning products so my skin would be "soft and healthy."
    The media is just as bad about how were supposed to "take care of our skin." as they are about anything else. I stopped using soap, I just rinse my skin really well. About every 4 or 5 days I exfoliate it with a little baking soda and raw unpasteurized honey, and I kid you not my skin feels amazing. At first it was a little dry, but soon enough my body adjusted and my skin is at the perfect level, not dry or greasy. plus I used to have little red bumps on the back on my arms and legs, and now they're gone. My suggestion: Don't use anything you don't have to use.
    Hah, I used to use proactiv and all sorts of face treatments, and it made my face burn, and my skin peeled. Then I realized that humans have been around for a long time and they didn't need proactiv and all those other shitty treatments. I let my skin breathe, and just use raw unpasteurized honey to clean, nothing else. Now my face is like a baby's bottom.
    Plus, I recently became a raw vegan, which has undoubtably helped my skin.

3. liberer

liberer Member

either use goats milk or botanical body wash, always organic/natural. every now and then wash my face with a natural honey peel, have oatmeal baths every now and then, natural moisturiser for legs and arms, rosehip oil for face. i wouldn't use any commercial brand cosmetics, from my understanding and research they are no good for your skin and if you really want to look after your skin you wouldn't go about it putting all those nasty chemicals on it! your skin absorbs around 60% of what you put on it.. also be aware of what you eat and additives/pesticides and things that are on your food (eat organic) because these all effect your skin too.

love!

4. liberer

liberer Member

oh also like to heat up a range of herbs in a pot of water and let the steam flow on my face for about 10 minutes.. cooled down tea bags for puffy eyes (chamomile)

5. sentastorm

sentastorm Member

i don't wear make up or put anything else on my face.
    try to eat right and avoid excessive sunlight:window:

6. tahoe

tahoe Member

I never use to use anything on my skin, but I just started using men's 3 in 1 lubriderm. In just a month I can't believe the difference in my skin. The soft smooth feeling is great. Glad I started.

7. quicklove

quicklove Guest

I wash my face morning and night with a oatmeal, milk, and honey soap. I don't wash my body, I just rinse in water, unless I actually have dirt on me. I use lotion on my face as well and on my body, but mostly on my arms and legs because they get dry. I try to drink a lot of water to help hydrate my body and skin also. Works for me!

8. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

I decided to go for organic products too and can't believe at the difference it makes! No more dryness, even when it's cold. The skin on my face used to be so dry in winter it sometimes became flaky, but now it's gone. :D

Yves Rocher has an organic line that I love, right now using their face cleanser, moisturizer, body wash and body scrub. I also like Burt's Bees products, but gotta choose carefully cause some are just plain nasty. I used their peach & willowbark scrub once and my face felt sticky, it was disgusting! Their anti-blemish pore refining scrub is fine though, it leaves my skin radiant, smooth and healthy.

9. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I use a Trilogy cream cleanser to take off my make up at night and a ZA foaming cleanser in the morning. Morning and night I use Avene Cleanance moisturiser and I use their body moisturiser too. I use Biore sunscreen everyday. I have worked off and on in the beauty industry for years and have never noticed any major difference using natural or organic products.

10. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

I guess that's because my skin is super sensitive. The difference is subtle, more in the feel than the look if I can say that, and that does it for me. I had this flaky skin problem since like forever and now it's gone.

11. wiccan_witch

Fair enough - there are many added perfumes and colourings in beauty products that can aggravate the skin. I guess my main concern with natural products is many people seem unaware that the most common allergic reactions to skincare products occur with plant ingredients - strawberry and orange being two major culprits. Usually the best option for sensitive skins is to go for really mild products with as few ingredients as possible - natural or otherwise. :)

12. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Yikes I bet! Those are super acidic, so I have no doubt they could irritate a fragile skin. :( I'm seriously considering making my own skincare products again, used to do it but stopped with lack of time.

13. wiccan_witch

That's a really good idea! And at least that way you know exactly what's going into it! My skin is really sensitive as well, I have just got back from living in China which wreaked havoc with my skin, now I've come back home I can use the products I trust - I have noticed the difference already.

14. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I shower at least once a day, but I don't use soap outside the pits every time.
    For my face, I use OCM, which is castor and a carrier oil (almond, avocado, olive) which cleans out blackheads quite well. Too much castor makes my skin dry, so I mix carefully.
    I use soap maybe once a week on my face.
    almond oil on thin skin at night.
    sun screen daily. Skin cancer survivor.

I dry brush all over.
    I use a rasp on heels.
    No make up and extremely rare shaving on lower leg.

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I recently switched to goats milk soap like mentioned in the original post and completely love it...I wish I'd switched a long time ago

I had been using a certain brand that I was less allergic too than others but I cant find it anymore and was going INSANE with the soap I had to start using....this goatmilk one gives me absolutely no allergic reactions so far :)

16. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

for the whole year ive used nothing but baking soda for skin, hair, and teeth. baking soda is my soap, shampoo, and toothpaste

17. Padme

Padme Member

I use oil reducing cleansers for sensitive skin that was recommended for me from a book that figures out your skin type and what you should use. Otherwise I stay clear of the really expensive skin care products which I used once and it gave me a rash all over my face!

18. Kyrara-Ruxandra

Kyrara-Ruxandra Member

I use a moisturising cream and cleanser, every morning and evening, and that's about it. Once a week I make a mask from bananas and lemons and whatnot. Mostly I avoid wearing make up, but even when I do, it's usually kohl, mascara and foundation, if I'm really daring.

19. HarajukuGoober

HarajukuGoober Guest

Well, just for body, nothing special...bath, shave, that kinda stuff. But my face is a part time job because of the freaking OIL! Man, I could power a car from all the oil from my face! lol. So, I wash it SEVERAL times a day, and I just recently started using salt. It seems to make my face softer and it takes longer for it to get oily :) Plus I don't wear make up, so I don't have to worry about all that chemicals vs natural stuff or whatever. lol

20. DMFP

DMFP Member

To be honest, I don't really use anything much. My best mate (str8) uses loads of 'skin products'. I am quite pleased though I have come across this thread because....

I was thinking the other day about 'skin products'. I started to think about this as I have 'inherited' (don't ask) a shed load of really quite expensive face cream type products. At the age of 45 I think I need to make the best of what I have or take care of what I have (this sounds mad but hey ho) and so I have been thinking of using these creams.

I know it sounds a bit 'gay' but then I am so that's kinda okay. LOL

What do you think?:)