How we perceive ourselves

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by Alexandria, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

I often wonder if we see ourselves the same way as the rest of the world does. If the things we critisize about ourselves and hate about ourselves are things the rest of the world also sees and dislikes. Or, mabye, this is just the way WE see them, because we know ourselves best and can be harsh on ourselves. Mabye what I see in the mirror is not what other people see. I have been wondering about this for a long time. I often feel like I am inside out and that my thoughts and feelings are very obvious to others and am always reminding myself that people cannot see inside me. So it makes me wander...just what do they see? What vibe do I give off? We all see different people in our lives in different ways. What category do I fit in to others? I dunno, for some reason lately I am always trying to analyze this. What do you guys think of the way people perceive you or the way you perceive yourself?

2. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I have often wondered what others think of me - although I do think I'm well liked. But I think the things I criticize the most about myself are things other people wouldn't see (I'm not sure what others who criticize me about). I don't what I see when I look in the mirror is what other people see because I'm my own worst critic - I always have been.

3. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

I've always wondered this too...mainly because I pick up things off people when they talk to me, like their body language and the way they talk can say a lot about them. I often try to see myself from an outsider's point of view and keep reminding myself that all those things I hate about myself other can't see very easily. In physical terms, i always have the feeling that I'm so much different to what I see on the mirror....It's like I know I look the way I look but if I dont see my image on the mirror for a while i tend to get surprised at my appearance. The same happens when I see pictures of me. blah.

4. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

How I percieve other people is more important.

5. YogaOfLove

YogaOfLove Member

i think people will always percieve you differently than you percieve yourself, to what extent depends on your personality, who you are.... look at it like this, people dont know everything about you, they cant know all of your feelings unless you express them (and even then they may not be able to fully comprehend what it is you feel and think) so you would base your perception of yourself on everything about you:thoughts, appearance, feelings, moods, likes dislikes, all that good stuff, but you dont always act upon all of those things, therefore other people must percieve you differntly that you percieve yourself..to some extent

6. IvSeenTwilght

IvSeenTwilght Member

i have always thought this also. Im sure some people see you different than you see yourself. i know that for a fact. I've had people i tell me that before they knew me they were afraid of me because they thought i was weird, but im totally not someone to be afraid of. but once you know people for a while they get to see the real you. i also think that we do critisize ourselfs too much. others dont analyze you flaws as much as you do. i think it human nature to see your flaws. everyone does, whether they admit it or not. haha okee..Peace!

7. loverofthewoods

loverofthewoods Member

why dont you ask others??? i sure its different from how you view yourself though. but its as they say..."we're best seen in the eyes of others" meaning, others are able to see things in you that your own mental blocks dont allow to see in yourself

8. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've often wondered about that too. I've come to the conclusion that I must see myself differently than others do because of the way people describe me. The compliments and even insults that I've received are usually not things I would say about myself, especially when it comes to my outward appearence. There are certain things about my looks that I don't like, but I often receive compliments about those very things. Confusing. :p We are our worst critics I think.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

since everyone experineces in their own mind whatever
    may or may not be universaly beyond it

it is highly improbably that ANY two people see any third
    person in quite the same way (as each other does).

there is certainly no reason to expect this to be any different
    when that third person happens to be ourselves!

=^^=
    .../\...