How to tie off hemp necklaces

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Fun_Love, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Fun_Love

Fun_Love Member

I was just wondering how you guys tie the end of your hemp necklaces, just in one big knot? I just gotta find a neater way of doing it.

2. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I usually do a "loop and bead" closure. So I start the necklace with a hemp loop, and end it by threading on a large bead and tying a knot.

I want to get some metal toggles and try those as well.

I have seen in books a way to neatly end a macrame necklace.....thread on your closure piece, and then fold the strands down and do a couple of square knots around the base. Then cut off the excess and put a dab of glue on for security.

3. Fun_Love

Fun_Love Member

I usually put a bead on the end too, but do u tie a knot THEN put the bead on?

4. Jorma's Branches

Jorma's Branches Member

If the hemp jewelry is permanent (it isn't going to be coming off anytime soon): I take the two carrier strands and tie a square knot. If it's going around your neck you may need a friend to do this. Take the excess from the knot and pull it back alongside the carrier. Then tie about three more knots with the knotters around both the carrier and the excess.

If the hemp jewelry is non-permanent (it's coming off when you get home or whatever): I usually just tie a square knot. They hold pretty well, and they're easy to untie.

5. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I tie an overhand knot, add a bead, then tie another knot.
    If you have made a wide design, you could try making it a bit narrower with a square knot before ending. Then it wouldn't be all bunchy.

6. Fun_Love

Fun_Love Member

OK.....what is a square knot?

7. Jorma's Branches

Jorma's Branches Member

Start with one end of the necklace in either hand.
    Take the end in your right hand and put it over and around the left hand's end. (kind of like the first part of tying your shoes)
    Take the end that's now on the left and put it over and around the end on the right.
    Pull tightly.
    You should have a knot that looks kind of like a sideways stone henge type of thing.
    I'll try and find a website. Hold please.

8. Jorma's Branches

Jorma's Branches Member

9. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

[​IMG]<--square knot :D

10. LastAmericanHippies

LastAmericanHippies Member

I always braid the begining and fold it over to make a loop, when I am finished , I braid a tail, which goes through my loop and ties back on itself, does that make sense?

11. Acorn

Acorn Member

i usually just do two knots and put clear nail polish on them to make sure they dont fall apart.

12. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i have a bead and a loop on one end. and another loop on the other end. i put the bead through the loop on the other end, and then back through the loop on the bead end. then its removable and the loops put tension on the string instead of the bead.

13. JoneeEarthquake

JoneeEarthquake Member

Tie a knot and put a dap of hot glue on it, not too much or it will smell.