How to put some Anarchy into your Life

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by green_revolution, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Spookytheferret

Spookytheferret Member

or better yet, steal a bagel for a cop and talk about getting a new job.

2. Alter-Reality

Alter-Reality Member

THAT is awesomeness.

3. mykittyhasaboner

mykittyhasaboner Member

the OP is a pretty good list of how to be an active revolutionary, but to really put some anarchy in our lives, we would have to abolish the state.:p

4. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

some people are pretty ignorant in argueing about anarchy. like somebody previously stated its not just complete chaos and no rules.

its a life style to build on more communal living and taking self responsibility for your actions. not being strictly told what to do and where to go. its basically taking control of your life without a higher power pushing you in a specified direction. somebody stated that these ideas were not anarchy, just practical. well that is exactly what anarchy is, practical.

people need to get off the websters definition of anarchy, and stop listening to our society which beleives they cannot control their own lives without an authoritarian government. they need to actually ask an anarchist what they fight for. maybe bring some insight into their lives.

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Member

yea these have nothing to do with anarchy.

6. Creek

Creek Apple Pie

This Post Edited Out.

7. nomad1234

nomad1234 Member

great stuff green_revolution. Totally agree with all of the points you stated in the original post. I've been trying to find good books to read about anarchy and so fourth (have read some noam chomsky) you have any ideas about any others? Like Goldman. Don't know which one's are the best to read and most enjoyable

8. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse Member

As a piece of marketing scum, I second this. I can honestly say that it will have very little impact, but it makes my day more interesting.

I like how you listed a very wide array of tactics that many would not associate with anarchy, or at least anarchy as seen on television.

9. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse Member

Abolish the state, huh? I ought to try that one. Someone show me how? ;)

10. green_revolution

green_revolution Member

To be honest, after reading several books by anarchists (including Chomsky and Goldman), I didn't really find them super insightful. They're usually critiques of the current system, as opposed to books suggesting alternatives. But a great author I would definitly recommend is Peter Kropotkin (his collection of essays in the book "Anarchism" was pretty cool).
    Also definitly check out Ursula K. LeGuin's book "The Dispossessed", which is a novel that takes place in a so called 'anarchist utopia'.
    The best book I can recommend though by far would be Endgame by Derrick Jensen. If you don't hate it, you'll love it, and will never think the same way again.
    I'd also recommend the "Ishmael" books by Daniel Quinn.

11. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse Member

I think it's really important to have some background knowledge of history and current events if one is going to build a critique of the state... Chomsky (while arguably not an anarchist at all) is very useful in this regard... indispensible in fact. Certainly not one I would go to for solutions, but I'm not looking for someone to spoon feed me solutions anyway. Yes its very dry.... he's an MIT professor. I don't read him much any more though. As a friend of mine once said, Chomsky is fine for providing ammunition for dinner table arguments with your parents, but after awhile I get tired of his cataloging American atrocities.
    In my opinion, Hegemony or Survival was the most useful in furthering my understanding of imperialism.
    Another I would suggest is Ward Churchill. Like Chomsky, he's often very scholarly in tone, but much more radical. He's written some great stuff about indigenous issues, most notably the genocide of American Indians, but some of his writing goes much further, touching on the media and the FBI's cointelpros. His best, I think would be Pacifism as Pathology, and Agents of Repression, which deals with cointelpro. Read it. I cannot stress this enough. Fucking read it. It provides a summary history of the FBI, followed by a detailed account of all known cointelpro actions against the Black Panthers and the American Indian Movement. It's an eye opener. It's necesary reading for anyone wanting to understand the ways in which governments repress grassroots activists, namely through badjacketing, drugs, murder. It's also very useful for providing some context for the "greenscare" we see today.

Ishmael and Endgame are also great. I think I have a signed copy of Vol 1 somewhere.... Also good by Jensen is "Welcome to the Machine," which deals with technology, and the fallacy of scientific thought. IN the same vein, check out John Zerzan. I'm somewhat sceptical about his views on language and symbolic thought, but he is a brilliant writer who provides alot of convincing evidence that our current crisis runs a lot deeper than just capitalism, and in fact has it's roots in civilization itself. "Running on Emptiness" is probably his most accesable.

12. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse Member

oh yeah you can check out onebigtorrent.org for a nice collection of radical literature. Also check out crimethinc's website for more of the same. And there's another zine library I can't remember the name of.

I also have a decent collection myself, if anyone's interested in sharing.

13. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

alternative living! anywhere but home or apartment...

14. mermaidhairr

mermaidhairr Guest

Nice list!
    Would getting off of/detaching yourself from social media count as an act of anarchy?

15. PacifistEgalitarian

PacifistEgalitarian Member

"This society eliminates geographical distance only to reap distance internally in the form of spectacular separation." Guy Debord - The Society of the Spectacle; Thesis 167

Imagine if monsieur Debord was around today.

16. Artimus Maxtor

Artimus Maxtor Guest