how to properly reconstitute dried beans?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by kayte, Apr 14, 2006.

1. kayte

kayte Member

particularly pinto beans, black beans, and garbanzos.

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Maybe someone else has a better (and more quick!) way, but I've usually soaked mine in water overnight.

3. kayte

kayte Member

but then they're usually still hard. then do i boil em for a couple hours after soaking them over night?

4. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I think you soak them in boiling water for a couple of hours to soften them up.

5. TheRealPamela

TheRealPamela Member

I like pressure cookers! Get one (mine cost about $20) and they make cook time go faster.

6. sandpedlar

sandpedlar Member

I'm still too scared of the pressure cooker to use it, and don't mind the time. I actually sprout my beans by leaving them soak, changing the water every day, for 2-3 days. Then I put them in the crockpot before I go to school, with an onion, lots of garlic, a bay leaf, veggie broth and water. I might also add a cup or two of cheap beer. By the time I come home- they are delicious and ready to go!

7. TheRealPamela

TheRealPamela Member

Don't fear the pressure cookeer! If it gets out of control, just put the pan in the sink and put the cold tap water over it. The pressure will lower. I love my pressure cooker.

8. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

There's a couple ways of doing it, to my knowledge.. What has worked for me is the standard soak overnight, then simmer covered on the stove for a few hours...

or you can do a quick-soak method, where you just put the beans in a pan and put in enough water to cover, then you bring to a boil, cover, let boil for two or three minutes, then turn the heat off and let them sit an hour. Then you just simmer them on the stove for however long it takes to cook em (an hour or two, normally).

Or you can go ahead like Pamela said, and get yourself a pressure cooker. Those things seriously.. ahah..they're great, i'll agree. don't fear the pressure cooker :D

9. toothfairy

toothfairy Member

I got a great fact sheet on how to cook beans from my local HFS.
    This link is very similar. http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/legu0003.htm It gives the soaking and cooking times for all the different ones.
    I always do the quick soak method described by MoonjavaSeed.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

don't forget to change the water between soak and cook!

11. TheRealPamela

TheRealPamela Member

Supposedly soaking reduces like 90% of the chemicals that cause gas....

12. liguana

liguana Member

That's why I soak beans for 2 days. I also change the soaking water several times, i gotta be very anal about it cos the gas really gets to me if i eat lotsa beans, which often happens with pintos or black beans.

13. sandpedlar

sandpedlar Member

Baking soda does the trick.

14. wandering_okie

wandering_okie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

What we do is boil them for a couple minutes. turn off the heat and let them sit covered for a couple hours. then we put them in the crock pot with new water. I like to add just a teaspoon of Bragg's and a dash of vinegar. The added acidity helps them break down and cook and little faster. Not too much vinegar or they turn out mushy. I put the Braggs in because it's just good with everything.

15. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I drop them into boiling water, then turn the heat off & let them soak overnight. The heat starts them softening, and they're ready to cook with come morning.
    love,
    mom

16. liguana

liguana Member

I've never heard that before, nor do I see any online reference.

When and how much do you add the baking soda.

17. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I add just a dash of baking soda near the end of the cooking time...works great.

18. sandpedlar

sandpedlar Member

I actually soak mine with 2 teaspoons of baking soda.

19. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

All beans can be quick-soaked with the exception of soybeans and fava beans, which require a minimum of 12 hours in water. To quick soak, place the beans in a pot and cover with 3 inches of unsalted water. Bring the uncovered pot to a rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover. Allow the beans to steep in the cooking liquid for 1 hour. Drain the beans, return to the pot, and cover again with fresh water. After 5 minutes of rest, drain and rinse again. This method is more effective in reducing the flatulent effects that beans often cause.

20. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

i make mine in the crock pot. put them in the crockpot, fill about 3 inches above with hot water, turn on high for 10 hours, viola!