how to play the piano

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by deadonceagain, Jan 16, 2005.

1. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

yeah where do i start and what do I do

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

play all the notes however you wish to encounter them . soon every tone will be connected from ears to mind to fingers . the other focus is the fingers .

get them to do any and every sequence and interval you might think of . be soft , loud , simple , dense ,,,, mostly listen . this is natural music . all music
    is within it . this includes the sound of little punks ... you'll see .

3. John221

John221 Senior Member

Get a teacher!

4. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

most important: get a piano!

5. da_Bug

da_Bug Member

I am excellent at playing the piano with my penis and scrotum. It's a god given talent of mine!

6. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

It's a lot faster to get a teacher and learn music theory.

7. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

it would be best if u get a teacher. i think that selfteaching could inhibit you slightly.

8. gnombient

gnombient Member

This sounds like instructions for some of Karlheinz Stockhausen's intuitive pieces a la Aus den Sieben Tagen! ;)

Seriously, deadonceagain... Get a teacher, you'll progress a lot faster and you'll learn some music theory-- very important! There's nothing wrong with tikoo's advice for improvising around by yourself, but I really wouldn't recommend going the self-taught route.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

from point zero , how to play the piano ? i assumed getting a piano and or a teacher would obviously been considered before asking from point zero , how to play the piano . so i answered from the perspective of my work with starting children at the piano . i can as well speak of it here as to the child on my lap . a beginner is a beginner . be at the root . it's a wild place .

10. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i have a piano actuly i have two

11. roly

roly Senior Member

i think that kinda depends on the individual...i have learnt more this year teaching myself rather than my 10 years of lessons which actually didnt teach me much...sometimes lessons can make u resentful of learning. Try to figure things out yourself...then if u feel u need lessons go for it!
    Roly.xxx

12. Beyond-the-Clouds

Beyond-the-Clouds Senior Member

Don't get a teacher. It costs money, and is not fun at all; takes away all your freedom. You don't have to play good, just have fun. Learn to read sheet music. It's easy. Then learn songs.

13. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Learn the piano in four easy steps.

1. Practise.
    2. Practise.
    3. Practise.
    4. Practise.

In order to know how to practise you can either have lessons, OR go out and buy books that teach you as you go along. Just depends how much money you want to spend and how good you are at teaching yourself.

I'll start you off with the basics though. See if you can find Middle C on the piano (C is the white note immediately to the left of the 2 black keys - and Middle C will be the one nearest to the middle of the piano). Then just with your right hand, see if you can play a C major scale, just for one octave (just up to the next C) and back down again. Then try it with your left hand in the octave below. And then try it with both hands together. Then you can try and play other scales in the same way. If you don't know much about music theory then you'll probably want to buy a book on scales and music theory in general to tell you about keys, key signatures and scales. Also, you'll need to know the basic fingering techniques for playing scales. For example, in the C major scale you want to pass your thumb under your other fingers as you go up the scale so that you can then play the F with your thumb and use your other fingers again for the rest of it. Otherwise you run out of fingers and get a discontinuity as you reset your hand for the next few notes.

14. naked_ape

naked_ape Member

The easiest and most rewarding thing to do for a begginner is to muck around with the blues scale. Don't feel limited by this though, use it as a guide not a rule. Also get some drums behind you a drumbeat to ride on is an excellent thing. You can learn more from jamming with friends than any amount of theory will teach you.

15. SunshineLovePeace

SunshineLovePeace all you need is love

get lessons.

once you get the gist of the piano and reading music and stuff, you can pretty much teach yourself.

i had lessons for a few months and then i taught myself the rest.

and im quite good if i say so myself :H :p

16. Acorn

Acorn Member

i think lessons are a good idea, at least to start with. i had a really nice teacher and i played i wanted to.

17. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Of course it all depends what you want to do on the piano. If all you want to do is play your favourite songs at parties then you might as well teach yourself from a book. Learn music theory, learn the notes, basic fingering.

If you actually want to be able to play the piano properly to a decent standard, then get a teacher.

18. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

have lessons for a couple of years, after which time you can generally work out what it is you want to learn and decide from there. but a teacher to teach you the basics helps.