How to make homemade pipes - step by step instructions

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by young_deadhead, Dec 22, 2007.

1. swazo

swazo i am amazing.

Who do I believe? Well, Until a bit ago I had said aluminum was bad.

But look at the links you posted. They're from businesses. Of course they'll convince you aluminum is bad to make a quick buck.

Seriously though, a bic can't heat aluminum to the point it releases vapors. Its scientifically impossible.

The breakdown:

Aluminum melts at 660.32 °C and vaporizes at 294.0 kJ·mol−1

A bic lighter just simply isn't capable of producing the necessary heat. the .1% residuals is eliminated through LOW temperatures. Im saying its safe to say that using aluminum <i>probably</i> won't induce Alzheimer's.

2. swazo

swazo i am amazing.

You're going to ingest more aluminum through your life than you will through smoking out of aluminum.

Tinfoil is the least of your worries.

3. edyb123

edyb123 Senior Member

Well you may be right... but 2 of the links i posted aren't business's and the one you posted isn't either and it has more people saying bad things about aluminum than good.

i agree that aluminum itself might not melt at butane lighter heat.. but what your quote says about other chemicals that are on aluminum foil is questionable.

To be on the safe side it much better to just find some wood to use.. or like the OP said use a potato.

4. swazo

swazo i am amazing.

5. edyb123

edyb123 Senior Member

but you said aluminum doesn't melt.. i'm more worried about other chemicals on/in the tin foil.

6. swazo

swazo i am amazing.

you mean the .1% that are eliminated via low temperatures.... ?

EDIT: From a "Production of Aluminum foil" entry on Wikipedia ( i know not a great source)

The rolls of foil are heated until the degree of softness is reached, which may be up to 340°C for 12 hours. During this heating, the lubricating oils are burned off leaving a dry surface. Lubricant oils may not be completely burnt off for hard temper rolls, which can make subsequent coating or printing more difficult.

7. edyb123

edyb123 Senior Member

Ok, your probably right. It's just all those sites saying otherwise worry me. And smoke does come off foil when you put a lighter to it.

8. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

about 5-10 yrs ago when aluminum was supposedly linked to Alsheimers a pot and pan manufacturer started using this as a scare tactic to sell their product at a higher price than other manufacturers. And if you really think aluminum is bad for you- maybe you should throw away all your mother's pots and pans.
    Pax.

9. swazo

swazo i am amazing.

^ Its the same reason pot is looked at negatively.

DuPont started making outrageous claims to sell more shit.

10. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

O if anyone has any other homemade pipes they'd like to share how to make feel free to post them

11. swazo

swazo i am amazing.

im going to try to make a joint rolling tutorial one of these days.

EDIT: i think if this is going to be a sticky, ALL other posts should be moved to another thread so just tutorials remain.

12. young_deadhead

^^ ya thats good idea, maybe a mod will stop by and do it

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

There's much work to rearrange posts so the discussion is logical and continuous. Perhaps when I have the time and inclination to do so.... unless someone gets to it first. My preference would be to simply delete the posts not on topic of homemade smoking devices. Deadhead- your illustrations sure as hell take me back. Very clear and logical steps by the way... well done. :)

14. young_deadhead

i wouldnt rearrange i would just delete them all then make a post saying not to post unless you have a tutorial. So many good memories of my first times smoking were flowing through my head when i was making them.

thanks for the compliements

15. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

The problem hinges on questions related directly to the instructions that while are not tutorials do follow logically in the thread and are things one might want to consider when creating a homemade bong or pipe.

This could be the something to think about and perhaps put together a comprehensive read with materials discussion that could be stickied and closed to new posting. Instead of discouraging non-instructional posts, encourage people to add points of concern they feel are germane to the topic then compile what you believe to be a complete all-encompassing instructional and FAQ on the construction, use, and maintenance of smoking devices.

Just a thought.

16. young_deadhead

ya thats a good idea. Ive been thinking about making a guide or something to try and cover everything one would need to know about smoking and such then have that stickied and closed

17. edyb123

edyb123 Senior Member

Heres an atempt i had at making a bong and vapourizer a few months ago.
    You've just got to be creative and it's pretty much just trial and error... all the parts i used where just things from around the house. If you just go on a search for stuff.. use some initiative and a little time its easy.

Bong (without downpipe cause i want to buy one)

This is a tupperware, bb holder, shot test tube, part of a broken electric orb and a part from a fish tank filter:
    [​IMG]

Once the top is assembled:
    [​IMG]

And the complete piece:
    [​IMG]

18. edyb123

edyb123 Senior Member

Vape (using pieces from bong)

To make it you just need to find a lava lamp with removeable lamp. A thick (don't want it to get too hot and crack) glass jar that fits inside the lamp base and some kind of implement to inhale the vapour from the jar. Then you just put some ground up bud in the jar, turn the lava lamp on until you see vapour rising, turn of the power and inhale.. once the vapour ceases you can turn the power back on until all the vapour available has been used.

Top of bong, glass jar and lava lamp:
    [​IMG]

Glass jar assembled:
    [​IMG]

Full thing:
    [​IMG]

The vape works quite well.. and the bong rips ok but i havent tried it with a proper downpipe yet. I know i could spend the time it took to make these just going to th shop n buying them.. but i was bored one day so.. watdya know.

19. nick molinaro

nick molinaro Member

in responce to the aluminum foil pipes; I dont know if they are safe to use,but when I had first started out I had used simmiler devices and found that the LEAK. I recomend that you go to the conveinences storeand buy a $10 pipe or $2worthof rolling paper

20. shaba

shaba Grand Inquisitor

I'm using the blank page of a bible right now.