How To Get My Groove Back?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by MayQueen~420~, Jun 5, 2020.

1. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

Prior to my 15 year failed relationship, I was all about music. Listening to and making music was who I was. Through the years and after many crazy experiences, I've lost my self. Now that I am all alone and without a home, I'm trying to get back to my roots and love myself again. I figured to do this, I must get back into the groove of things. How does one get back into the groove of music when one feels so dead inside and lost? I just can't seem to shake this feeling of anxiety and uncertainty.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

sorry to learn of your troubles...

depends which genre... but YouTube might be a good place to start. :)

3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Just do it. For less than $500 I got a full recording setup for my laptop. Find some music that inspires you. For me over the last couple of years that has been chill hop.

C/S,
    Rev J

ZenKarma and Orison like this.
  4. deleted

deleted Visitor

nice seeing you around JC.

MayQueen~420~ likes this.
  5. StrangestICouldFind

StrangestICouldFind Members

sometimes music can be a great escape from our anxiety and day to day sufferings, other times it can remind us more of what we worry about and trigger us. the music will come back to you on its own and you will enjoy it again, but right now it seems you need to look elsewhere to cope with the anxiety as you refocus your path.

tjr1964 and MayQueen~420~ like this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Apparent;y you are just supposed to "hit the record button"... or so they say.

That being said, I haven't recorded anything since around 2009 or so....

7. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

I just keep getting bad news. Trying to keep my head up.

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't know how passionate I can be about recording... lol. It's not my favorite part of music. But I'm not a really good musician, so I don't know... My perspective is probably wrong.

I've played guitar for a long time, and I find that just practicing scales makes me feel pretty good. Even if you're a singer with no instruments, practicing those scales is goal oriented. You're making progress even when you just sing in the car or the shower.

You'll get there... :sunglasses: :)

Amerijuanican likes this.
  9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Seems to me that's a question for Stella...............

mysticblu21 likes this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You are never alone in the world of opera.

11. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Yeah I'm getting my feet back wet in this place slowly but surely.

C/S,
    Rev J

12. Pepper!

Pepper! Members

Relationships can put people into a time capsule. Be open minded about new music and embrace the change, as opposed to clinging to the past and drawing comparisons. I find a lot of newer music (especially metal) has taken a good path... some good, creative work coming out in recent times...

13. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

I love music. Love it so much I majored in it. But more important than music is having a refrigerator full of food and a warm secure bed to sleep in at night. That's my top priority.

14. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Sorry that this is happening.

A lot of musicians have made some of their best music coming to terms with some kind of pain or loss. Maybe you'll be able to do the same.

You're also welcome to say more about what's going on if you feel like it

I hope things can get better soon

15. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Homeless ? ha ha . Peace to the unplugged .

16. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Hey. First off all, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling that way. I play guitar and since the moment I picked it up when I was a kid it was like a period of freedom during the times I would play.

Do you play music? Sing? Just have a love for music? I think you should just take a breath and allow yourself to get in the zone when you're alone. Pick up the instrument you love or sing or whatever it is that gets you feeling alive. Just go for it. Even if you feel rusty or it's not your best, it doesn't matter. Once you find it again it'll be contagious. I really hope music can ignite a fire or a calm inside of you that you're searching for. It can be so therapeutic.

17. BenS Alaskan

BenS Alaskan Members

Just try the habit to pick up what ever instrument is everyday do something till an hour goes by. Scales. Learn the fretboard placement position. Mary had a little lamb

MidtownMind likes this.
  18. BenS Alaskan

BenS Alaskan Members

I can totally relate. Get books and just start playing

19. Jesse49

Jesse49 Members

Just picking up my guitar and playing some freestyle stuff, making it up as I go along has got me thru some tuff times in my life. Mostly just have to make the time to just do it. Listening to music you like also helps.

20. Icanlikeboth

Icanlikeboth Members

Backing tracks are good way of keeping one sharp, if there's no one else to jam with. Loopers as well. Or even a friend with a cajon to keep time.