how to get dreads

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by dread_wannabe, May 29, 2004.

1. dread_wannabe

dread_wannabe Member

ok guys here is the thing i have been dying for dread for like seriously a couple of years and my mom keeps saying no. and i dont think it is the kind of thing to just come home with one day and be like :"suprise" so she said that she would put my hair in tons of small braids and if i could keep them from stinking and take care of them and all of that. that if they turned to dreads then so be it. i know this takes like forever but does it work? if not any ideas on hair to slowly get dreads with out the neglect thing. we own 3 beauty shops that i go into all the time to close and things and it wouldnt look good. by hair is just a little past my shoulders and is pretty dry any ideas and tips would be greatly appreciaited

2. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

I wouldn't do the braid thing. Your braids won't turn into dreads...and if they do happen to knot up a bit, your "dreads" will looks really retarded. I don't really know how you can dread your hair "gradually" unless you just go natural. But I think your best bet would be to just backcomb your hair into dreads and wait for them to tighten up. Hmm...good luck with whatever you do.

3. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

the problem with braiding it and letting them grow out is that you get half and half. so then you think i know i'll take the braids out, and your left with a huge frizz and some bread. so you have to back comb it to get it the same, but then the ends are stupidly loose and crappy.

i got as far as taking my briads out then i grabbed shed laods of conditioner and got rid of it all...

so go for back combing...

4. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

I suggest backcombing it and then rubbing a wool hat over your hair for about 10 minutes every day.
    It tightens em' up and shit.
    You could use wax, but I wouldn't reccommend it.
    go to these websites for tips.
    www.knottyboy.com
    www.knottylocks.com

5. fizzy_elf

fizzy_elf Member

6. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

well... if you want them fast and aren't opposed to it, you could always go get them done. that's the only "fast" way i can think of.

7. migglebutt

migglebutt Member

I know a guy with dread locks, he said "don't wash it, don't comb it" and that he has "black mans hair" :confused: So if you've got really thin hair I don't think it would work. I don't really know anything about it :D