How to be an atheist?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by ClintonsSon, Jun 17, 2013.

1. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

i don't find this to be true at all. how do you know that most atheists are vocal about what they (don't) believe? i find that most people i know who would consider themselves atheist or agnostic only mention it when someone else brings up god first. where most religious people think about god and their beliefs on a daily basis, most people who do not believe there is a god don't bother to think about it unless prompted.

2. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

When you walk away from this thread, will you only remember the one guy that swore at you or the rest of us that were reasonable and gave valid answers?

Eggs has has been bang on so far.

Don't mistake anecdotal observation for fact.

Perhaps some atheist have the same drive to save that some religious folk have. It certainly doesn't paint the whole. There has indeed been an increase in vocal atheism since our numbers has been growing and some of us live in a place where the concept of 'separation of church and state' is a constitutional right and they're standing up for it. You can't do that quietly or there will be no change. (Thankfully my own country is not as bad as others in this sense but we still have some challenges)

3. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

No they don't. Some ignorant religious people do, because they cannot understand not believing in their diety or in their diety's mythical enemy; for them you believe in one or the other. Atheists reject both.

It makes no more sense to call an atheist "satanist" than it does to call them "christian", because both terms indicate a belief in a diety (either god or satan).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

4. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

satanists don't have to believe in satan's existence. you could (very easily) be both an atheist and a satanist. i know quite a few atheists who describe themselves as satanists (albeit partially jokingly) because they see satan as a fictional character embodying materialist philosophies, individualism and rebellion against authoritarian religious and political rule. many anarchists, in particular, identify with lucifer (particularly a miltonian lucifer)

satanism does not necessarily imply a belief in a deity.

"symbolic association with, or admiration for the character of, Satan, or similar rebellious, promethean, and, in their view, liberating figures" not: "active belief and worship of satan as a genuinely existing supernatural entity"

5. roamy

roamy Senior Member

i don't consider those westboro b.c. people to be christian people.theres nothing christian about inciting hatred toward homosexual people.there is something else i have often wondered about.i have often wondered if the atheists that are so against other peoples religious believes,about what kind of background they come from themselves.that could it be a lot of them were brought up in very religious family backgrounds.cos if so that to might account for why their so set against other peoples religious beliefs.

6. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

the westboro baptist church would say that you aren't a christian as well, i assume.

7. roamy

roamy Senior Member

of course they would.cos our definition of what being a decent christian human being is could'nt be more opposite.

8. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_Satanism

granted most people who paint their fingernails black and listen to death metal are likely not theistic satanists, but actually atheistic satanists. I was just pointing out that "traditional" satanism is as theistic as christianity. The philosophy of Lavey, which most people conflate with "satanism" is definitely atheistic, I agree.

9. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

My reaction would congrats.

That is pretty much it. Enjoy on living your life to the fullest and getting to sleep in on Sundays.