How to avoid a bad trip the first time?

Discussion in 'Salvia Divinorum' started by powerquest, May 28, 2014.

1. powerquest

powerquest Member

Hey folks.

I'm going to be trying salvia my first time when I get back to school in the fall. This would be my first experience with a drug other than marijuana. I've been reading a ton about it, and the experiential reports I've read in a bunch of places have tended to be either really positive, or REALLY negative (like "never try this stuff, I thought I was going to die").

I would be doing for spiritual/philosophical purposes, not just to mess around, and I think that the risk is worth it. I would be open to an out of body experience or radically altered reality, and from what I've read, I think I have a general idea of what's possible. I know it's not a gentle plant, but I would be approaching it with respect and with the purpose of metaphysical exploration, which I think is the point.

Now, I'm a bit anxious that it could be a very negative experience, so I could use some advice. I was already thinking that I would meditate and get mentally prepped beforehand, and listen to relaxing, spiritual music while taking it, but besides that I don't know what I could do.

And I would be using the tincture extract method from Sage Wisdom Botanicals.

Any other advice?

Thanks!!!

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I have never tried a Salvia tincture, I've heard mixed results with those.

Smoked Salvia has a wide variability of affects, if you get a lower dose it can be a bit like a weed high or low dose of mushrooms but a full on breakthrough trip can be of a magnitude of intensity that is comparable to the most intense psychedelic experiences.

Salvia has disassociating aspects to it, so holding onto some sense of identity can be difficult and it's harder to avoid a bad trip for this reason.

I think the tinctures are generally milder than smoking it but the duration may be extended from ~5 mins to over a half hour.