How should I start my dreads?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Snailjuice, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Snailjuice

Snailjuice Guest

Hello, how are you all doing?

Anyway, so I've wanted dreads for a while but I haven't been growing my hair up until a few months ago. It's still very short so I suppose I should wait a little longer. The thing is that I'm mixed black and white, so my hair is afro-ish but it's very soft so I'm not sure how I would start off. Would it be a good idea to get twists? Natural?

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of my hair from the side lol

er, sorry if threads like this are against the rules by the way. Not meaning to set anyone off

2. aFoolOnaHill

aFoolOnaHill Proper Villain

Well this is a good place to start:
    **Read this BEFORE POSTING or risk being flamed!**

First check out the FAQ for a good overview of things.

I would recommend going natural because I think it's the raddest way to do it. Train your scalp to produce less oil and need less frequent washing, possibly change what you use to wash your hair, stop using conditioner for a while, get rid of your comb, separate/rip massive tangles into two or three pieces, and watch your hair take care of the rest.

3. SadieScarlett

SadieScarlett Member

Pretty much what i wouldda suggested ^

maybe at this length if you do all that and start absent-mindedly twisting it in to sections then that'd help the process :)