How real estate agents work.

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Bilby, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

They set themselves up as experts and as socially superior people. To get sales they first need listings. To get a listing it is the socially acceptable thing to list your property with his/her agency. You will gain their personal seal of approval.
    The estate agent I got my house through asked me so many times when I was going to sell my house that one night I was in a bad mood after eating too much raw garlic, I wrote a letter of complaint to Consumer Affairs. He denied ever asking me but was told all the same not to do it any more. When ever he has made any salutation to me in a public place since, I have just ignored him.
    Some years before, his mum who lived in the house next door to me but one to me,accosted me one day and suggested that I might like to sell my house and buy unit that was up for sale near the river. She said how much liked those units so I said if you like it that much, buy it for yourself.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

is this really a thing?

by "this" i mean both eating raw garlic, and excessive raw garlic ruining moods.

3. Bilby

In my experience yes.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Sounds like someone wants your land to knock down their neighbouring land with it and set up apartment blocks.

5. Bilby

You have to remember that if you are the buyer the agent is going to be polite and civil but they are working for the vendor not you.
    Some years ago a woman bought the lease on a hotel in town. She was totally enchanted by the agent who also owned the freehold and leasehold. She though the business was bullet proof. She fell for anchor bias , employed far too many staff, did no work herself, nor did her husband., did not keep an eye on costs. Less than 12 months later went bust with a pile of debts and did midnight flit.
    If you want to own a hotel, it would be a good idea to be employed in a hotel to see of you really like it.

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

:):):);););) That sounds like the sort of thing that I would say, except I may suggest jumping in the river at the same time. :):):);););)

7. Very Fast Car

Very Fast Car Members

I'm sure there are some very nice estate agents as well.

But what I hated when we were selling our house, the Agent would phone us booking a time & day for a future viewing.

So we would spend ages getting it all clean & tidy..... and then they either didn't bother turning up, or within 10 seconds of walking through the door made it clear they weren't seriously interested. Grrrrr. :mad: